Page 18 of 283 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Wandavision

I'll be honest the first episode bored me, now I've read this gets better so i'll stick with it for now.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Agreed. I like the stream-lining of things. And also don't want the mess that comics have become.
    I'm glad you feel the same way. If the nerds and geeks love the comic book stories so much, they should read the comic books. Nobody is taking those stories away from them. But let's the keep the MCU as simple as possible. And the only way I'd be okay with Evans returning as Cap in the MCU is for him to die peacefully on screen. It's perfectly okay for superheroes to die natural deaths instead of in battle all the time. Due to the nature of their "profession", I think it makes sense that a significant percentage of Avengers should "die." I'm curious to see what happens to Bucky at the end of the Falcon and the Winter Soldier.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-25-2021 at 09:23 AM.

I just feel the creators are turning WandaVision into a television version of the Hobbit trilogy. And the latter was not well-received and WandaVision will not be if it continues at its current glacial pace. The plot's gotta move forward soon or I think we're in trouble. I've been a HUGE cheerleader for WandaVision for months, but I knew there were problems when I started agreeing more with those critical of the show as opposed to those praising it. I love Wanda and Vision, but I don't want to let that blind me to the shortcomings of WandaVision thus far. We here for the most part are enjoying the show, but I can't help but feel that a good portion of us are somewhat disappointed with its execution. I found a great quote from another forum whose sentiments I totally agree with:

"IMHO each episode has flown by and sort of left me frustrated at the end. This show isn't like sitcoms of old, because there aren't stand alone episodes to it and there's no real B storyline either. It ALL feeds into a bigger story even the commercials hint at something. If you could binge this I think it would be a little more engaging, make more sense, and be a little less frustrating. Seems like just when they get to something good it ends right now though."

This show doesn't need to be binged. Six one-hour episodes would be ideal in my opinion. But studio interference is making it worse than it should be. I'm just annoyed and frustrated. I thought Vision would adopt more of the "intelligent" humor of Stark, Strange and Ultron and was hyped to see how that would play off on Wanda. But the show made him drop like 50 IQ points, and actually made him dumber than Thor or Star-Lord. And I think that hurts Wanda just as much as Vision. I do like Vision being an anxious father and a caring husband though. And Wanda's interactions with Rambeau in Episode 3 just bored me to tears. Although the stork was really cute. I missed Agnes. I liked how Vision was questioning Agnes and Herb about what the hell was going on, and he seemed to be making some progress on that front, but then the conversation just ended with no knowledge gained. I just rolled my eyes at that point.

I have to confess that I believe bringing in TWO Quicksilvers into the MCU is an idiotic idea. Now if they keep two of them in the MCU, the two of them will always be compared to each other and I definitely see some redundancy there. And that's WITHOUT Speed being added into the mix. And Marvel has never created any compelling stories about speedsters. EVER. So we'll have THREE Maximoff speedsters. One from another studio, one who died six years ago, and a character that has been neglected for YEARS in the comic books from what I understand. I just don't see Disney going this route.

I like what Feige and his partners have done in the past decade, but if they use this multiverse stuff too often, I can see audiences being turned off by the convolution and confusion. I don't wanna sound like a whiny bitch, but I can't hide my unhappiness about WandaVision anymore. If things go on as they are now, I think they're actually going to RUSH the storyline in the last few episodes to compensate for the slowness of the first six. I think that would be really bad for Vision and Wanda in the comic books. Marvel editors will have their biases confirmed that Wanda and Vision are Z-list characters. And I think they deserve so much more than that.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-25-2021 at 09:05 AM.

The plot is already moving forward, as seen in episode 3. If people keep whining and bitching that it's not going fast enough for them, knowing there are 6 episodes left, all that's going to happen is that the MCU will be more hesitant to take risks with its storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    The plot is already moving forward, as seen in episode 3. If people keep whining and bitching that it's not going fast enough for them, knowing there are 6 episodes left, all that's going to happen is that the MCU will be more hesitant to take risks with its storytelling.
    Yeah. It's been literally two weeks. It's beyond me how so many people are unable to enjoy it for what it is.

I'm enjoying it and I don't mind waiting for things to happen. But I do think the PACING is really weird. It feels like things end really abruptly after twenty minutes of every episode, you know? I agree the plot is moving forward (FINALLY), but didn't you feel that the potential return of Pietro sort of immediately overshadowed the birth of the twin boys? I don't object to being confused by shows and I don't have problems with having questions. It's just sometimes I found myself being kinda bored. Which was not what I was expecting. Maybe I'm just not as patient as I thought I was. I definitely hope the MCU sticks to different kinds of storytelling. But even as somebody with a working knowledge of Wanda and Vision from the comics, I can understand why some folks think WandaVision has been pretty inaccessible thus far. I just wish Disney would have done the six one-hour episode thing. Then people would be more engaged, in MY opinion. Fucking studio interference.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-25-2021 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    This is probably true.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I'm glad you feel the same way. If the nerds and geeks love the comic book stories so much, they should read the comic books. Nobody is taking those stories away from them. But let's the keep the MCU as simple as possible. And the only way I'd be okay with Evans returning as Cap in the MCU is for him to die peacefully on screen. It's perfectly okay for superheroes to die natural deaths instead of in battle all the time. Due to the nature of their "profession", I think it makes sense that a significant percentage of Avengers should "die." I'm curious to see what happens to Bucky at the end of the Falcon and the Winter Soldier.
    Comics have been very flawed. Especially when it comes to poor Wanda. So I think there's a good bit of us Wanda fans hoping she gets a better chance in the movie-verse.

There seems to be such an aversion to Wanda in the comics division. And at some points hatred (referring to former editor Jeanine Schaeffer's NYCC's comments about hating Wanda when someone asked about a book for her). So hoping since there seems to be some appreciation from the movie studio, that they treat her better.

Comics have been very flawed. Especially when it comes to poor Wanda. So I think there's a good bit of us Wanda fans hoping she gets a better chance in the movie-verse.

There seems to be such an aversion to Wanda in the comics division. And at some points hatred (referring to former editor Jeanine Schaeffer's NYCC's comments about hating Wanda when someone asked about a book for her). So hoping since there seems to be some appreciation from the movie studio, that they treat her better.
    You think Jeanine Schaeffer is related to Jac? All kidding aside, I just wish the last thirty years of Wanda's publication history never happened. Couldn't Marvel say that it was a clone or Skrull that was impersonating her during that time? Then when the "real" Wanda came back, she would blame the bad stuff that's happened in the past few decades on some other chick(s).

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

I admit it, that has been my hope. If WandaVision does well, then it could lead to better treatment and use in the comics. Of course, that was also my hope for Age of Ultron, and here we are. Because as you pointed out, if the editors and writers are determined to see her in a negative and regressive way, then even the MCU may not change that. But money speaks, and the comics division will chase that, no matter the personal views of a handful working there.

Are we allowed to propose plot speculation?

Should we be using spoiler tags for this if allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Are we allowed to propose plot speculation?

Should we be using spoiler tags for this if allowed?
    Well it should be fine if it's just speculation...

You think Jeanine Schaeffer is related to Jac? All kidding aside, I just wish the last thirty years of Wanda's publication history never happened. Couldn't Marvel say that it was a clone or Skrull that was impersonating her during that time? Then when the "real" Wanda came back, she would blame the bad stuff that's happened in the past few decades on some other chick(s).
    I wouldn't say thirty. I'd just throw away the Byrne and Bendis stuff personally. If they cared about her at all they would have reset her, but they are all to happy to keep her as the universe's pariah for some reason.

I'm enjoying it and I don't mind waiting for things to happen. But I do think the PACING is really weird. It feels like things end really abruptly after twenty minutes of every episode, you know? I agree the plot is moving forward (FINALLY), but didn't you feel that the potential return of Pietro sort of immediately overshadowed the birth of the twin boys? I don't object to being confused by shows and I don't have problems with having questions. It's just sometimes I found myself being kinda bored. Which was not what I was expecting. Maybe I'm just not as patient as I thought I was. I definitely hope the MCU sticks to different kinds of storytelling. But even as somebody with a working knowledge of Wanda and Vision from the comics, I can understand why some folks think WandaVision has been pretty inaccessible thus far. I just wish Disney would have done the six one-hour episode thing. Then people would be more engaged, in MY opinion. Fucking studio interference.
    There's no indication that the timeslot was because of the studio. It was done to fit in the time sitcoms typically were/are. Also, I think people are plenty engaged; there's a new speculation on my twitter practically on the clock.

Honest question, no judgment: do you typically enjoy older sitcoms? Because that seems to be the major deciding point for people.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    There's no indication that the timeslot was because of the studio. It was done to fit in the time sitcoms typically were/are. Also, I think people are plenty engaged; there's a new speculation on my twitter practically on the clock.

Honest question, no judgment: do you typically enjoy older sitcoms? Because that seems to be the major deciding point for people.
    Originally the show was going to be six episodes. That changed with the line-up change on Disney+. It was then stretched to 9 episodes. So while yes, the new changes fit the sitcom format, that wasn't it's original intention.