Page 92 of 283 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102142192 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 4237

Thread: Wandavision

spoilers:
    I also found this quote online which I agree with except for one notable exception: "Personally, I think this episode was a bit of a jump-the-shark moment for the show. It showcased every small issue I’ve been having with the series, but amplified. The lack of willingness to make Wanda an antagonist leads to this honestly underwhelming twist (no offense to Kathryn Hahn, who’s still great, but this reveal made me retroactively enjoy her “character breaking” moments less). Monica finally gets to have a great superhero moment, but it feel unearned without delving more into her relationship with her mother. Pietro disappearing wastes a more interesting development, and the isolation of Vision for an entire episode didn’t help develop any of the great tension in his relationship with Wanda that we had seen in episodes 5 and 6. It’s really frustrating to see a promising presence get more and more wasted with each episode." Now I don't have any desire at all to see Wanda be a villain, and I'm glad she won't be. But putting the blame on Agatha Harkness just rubs me the wrong way. I'm usually the first one to say that movies and shows should change things from the source material, but I don't agree with this decision. It feels cheap to me. The series is trying to do too much in my opinion and add far too many subplots. And now with only two episodes left, they have to explain each of them. And it worries me that they won't stick the landing. If the show is about family, then how come Vision has spent so little onscreen time with his kids? Why is Wanda so dismissive of her sons' concerns? The show should have focused on THAT stuff in my opinion. It's important. It's what made the Vision mini-series so great. Don't get me wrong, I really like the creativity and originality of WandaVision and the near total lack of action thus far. But I feel that some potential has definitely been squandered. And that frustrates me.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Albert1981; 02-19-2021 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    spoilers:
    I also found this quote online which I agree with except for one notable exception: "Personally, I think this episode was a bit of a jump-the-shark moment for the show. It showcased every small issue I’ve been having with the series, but amplified. The lack of willingness to make Wanda an antagonist leads to this honestly underwhelming twist (no offense to Kathryn Hahn, who’s still great, but this reveal made me retroactively enjoy her “character breaking” moments less). Monica finally gets to have a great superhero moment, but it feel unearned without delving more into her relationship with her mother. Pietro disappearing wastes a more interesting development, and the isolation of Vision for an entire episode didn’t help develop any of the great tension in his relationship with Wanda that we had seen in episodes 5 and 6. It’s really frustrating to see a promising presence get more and more wasted with each episode." Now I don't have any desire at all to see Wanda be a villain, and I'm glad she won't be. But putting the blame on Agatha Harkness just rubs me the wrong way. I'm usually the first one to say that movies and shows should change things from the source material, but I don't agree with this decision. It feels cheap to me.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    This seems like a review of a person upset that they didn't get their personal wishes for the show instead of something that actually is relevant to Wanda. Even with HoM she was possessed, so Wanda has never been exclusively the antagonist. Despite them claiming they did not want her to be the villain. Which is hard to buy with their complaints. As far as Monica, her development will happen in Captain Marvel. And the writing was on the wall for "Pietro." And we don't know that Agatha is the villain yet. Up until this episode many were so certain that it was Wanda all along. The show has two hours left of content separated between two episodes. A lot will still yet happen.
    end of spoilers
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Killing Sparky would be tough to come back from if it really is her.

Seems to me that based on the damned theme song, Agatha’s manipulated things post-hex. We don’t know who started things. Was it Wanda or someone still to be introduced? Like who is the shark that gave Wanda the Yo-Magic for survivors in the first place? Pietro was probing Wanda to learn how she went from telepathy and telekinesis to reality warping.
    We're still not really sure what she's getting out of all this. It seems like she's been balancing being there to help Wanda and orchestrating things to make her more unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    spoilers:
    Sorry to be a downer, but this was legitimately the first "bad" episode of the series for me. It seemed a lot of the pacing was just setup and getting from A-B without any real motivation and reason. While I love to see Monica get her moment and become Spectrum, I don't really understand the reason why all of the sudden she can make it through the barrier unscathed this time around except for plot armor. The same goes to why Vision just didn't carry Darcy and fly over to Wanda nor why Wanda didn't immediately go try to see Vision after he almost perished in the previous episode. Plus, the weird absence of Pietro which has to be explained in a post-credits.

It just felt like a lot of lazy writing from what otherwise has been a pretty clever series. I've never really understood any of the logic behind MCU Wanda's powers and the discussions people are having about how all this was established in the previous movies pretty much confirms just the hand-waviness of it all. This episode just flat out didn't work for me, which sucks. But it's nice people seem to be enjoying this one.

I'm really trying hard to like Monica. I'm a HUGE fan of Teyonah Parris, and I get that not every superhero's origin is profound (or even a major event), but she still feels underwritten to me. Where's her development? Who is she outside of this single-minded drive to help Wanda? I know she's going to play a prominent role in the MCU going forward, so they've got time to flesh her out. But I'm not seeing what makes Monica compelling in WandaVision.

Also, Darcy ...whew, Darcy. Marvel really loves its fan insert characters, but Darcy is egregious. She really only exists as an exposition drone or to reference previous MCU movies. Kat Dennings is giving her every drop of charisma she's got, but what can you do when there's really no character there. All of her scenes feel like a huge drag on a show that's already strapped for time.

Still, that reveal saved the episode. It was a minute long concentrate of everything that has made WandaVision so entertaining to me. It was hilarious and campy, and it used the format of the story to poke fun at itself and the history of television sitcoms. It was also a lesson that, as long as you're telling a good story, and you're being consistent with your characters, your big reveal doesn't have to come out of nowhere to be good. I have stated many times in the past on these threads that once Hahn gets more screen time in WandaVision, the series gets better. She's such a dynamic and charismatic performer and I've really come to like her. I always felt she was sorely underutilized in the show thus far.

Look, I'm glad folks here liked Episode 7, but it just wasn't for me. I think it portrayed Wanda horribly. Telling her kids that life has no meaning? That she doesn't care that Vision could be in danger (partly because of her own previous actions). She looks like a HORRIBLE mother to me. At least Vision asked about his kids when he woke up. I don't understand why she wants to fight so hard to preserve this reality when she's estranged from her "family." I prefer the Wanda of the earlier episodes (a loving wife and devoted mother). And I thought it was pathetic that even Vision is now using some SWORD-like exposition to justify Wanda's lying to him earlier. I thought this episode was a mess, and it was a HUGE step down from the previous six (which I more or less enjoyed and liked).
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Monica stuff is setting up for Captain Marvel 2, which Marvel was very honest about going into this show. Vision not going over to Wanda is likely because Agatha still had a hold on everything. Same with Wanda not going to him. You can obviously see Wanda almost break free when Agatha shows up while Wanda is talking to Monica. And it's been apparent all along that Agatha has not had a complete grasp on Vision but will reset him at times.

Again, Monica is not getting her development here. This isn't her show and she's not typically a Scarlet Witch support character.

Darcy is the comedy relief. And her interactions with Vision were pretty great and key to him figuring out his past.

Wanda is depressed and still under control this episode so of course she's not gonna act like herself. And say weird stuff to her kids. That's also playing off the awkward interactions on shows like The Office, Modern Family, etc.

You keep approaching this like Wanda is in control of her actions and should be accountable for them, when it's made very obvious she was under control even before the Agatha reveal.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    We're still not really sure what she's getting out of all this. It seems like she's been balancing being there to help Wanda and orchestrating things to make her more unstable.
    At what points did she help Wanda? All Agatha has done is play along to keep Wanda trapped in her delusions, and even tricked Vision in order to keep him apart from his wife. I don’t see any positive way her actions can be viewed.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    spoilers:
    Monica stuff is setting up for Captain Marvel 2, which Marvel was very honest about going into this show. Vision not going over to Wanda is likely because Agatha still had a hold on everything. Same with Wanda not going to him. You can obviously see Wanda almost break free when Agatha shows up while Wanda is talking to Monica. And it's been apparent all along that Agatha has not had a complete grasp on Vision but will reset him at times.

Again, Monica is not getting her development here. This isn't her show and she's not typically a Scarlet Witch support character.

Darcy is the comedy relief. And her interactions with Vision were pretty great and key to him figuring out his past.

Wanda is depressed and still under control this episode so of course she's not gonna act like herself. And say weird stuff to her kids. That's also playing off the awkward interactions on shows like The Office, Modern Family, etc.

You keep approaching this like Wanda is in control of her actions and should be accountable for them, when it's made very obvious she was under control even before the Agatha reveal.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Thank you very much for your thoughtful and insightful comments. I agree with a lot of what you have to say. And you were very polite and articulate about it. This series has been amazing and fantastic thus far, and I'm enjoying it mightily. But what I didn't like was the sudden reveal that "Agnes" was responsible for what was going on. I felt it was really predictable because she hadn't been seen for a while. I don't Wanda to be a villain and I'm REALLY hoping Agatha isn't either. Maybe I didn't care for this episode due to my distaste for mockumentary style sitcoms such as the ones you mentioned. I always hated them and I always will. I like Darcy and Monica a LOT. They're really great characters. But I think it would have been much more emotionally satisfying if Wanda told Vision himself about her problems. I thought it was lame that Darcy had to do it for her, you know? I like your reasoning, and I do think a lot of decisions the writers are making are factoring in the time crunch of each episode. I just personally think that could have been a big emotional moment for Vision. But hey, I'm a lover a drama. Anytime I can get characters to wallow in feelings I usually take it. LOL!

My issue with Darcy specifically is that, since Darcy doesn't really have much in the way of character development, the little attempt she does make to empathize with Vision ("The love you two have is real...") just fell flat to me. Like, the I watched the scene and I couldn't help but wonder why it should matter to Vision that Darcy is telling him this.

However, I think the series can definitely still stick the landing, but they better hurry!
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Albert1981; 02-19-2021 at 11:05 PM.

spoilers:
    I don't think Wanda is (before the very end of this ep) under Agatha's control. Not in the literal "mind control" sense, I mean. If she ever was it would be only at the beginning of the show before she became aware. Same for Vision.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    spoilers:
    I don't think Wanda is (before the very end of this ep) under Agatha's control. Not in the literal "mind control" sense, I mean. If she ever was it would be only at the beginning of the show before she became aware. Same for Vision.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    If not completely controlled, definitely manipulated or pushed to do things. Wanda is seemed to be breaking free when Monica was talking to her and Agatha came along and things changed back. It also shows Agatha using her powers to keep people under control
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    spoilers:
    If not completely controlled, definitely manipulated or pushed to do things. Wanda is seemed to be breaking free when Monica was talking to her and Agatha came along and things changed back. It also shows Agatha using her powers to keep people under control
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I don't think she was "breaking free". I think Monica was just getting through her in like, a normal, empathetic sense that made Wanda see her point. At the end we see her acutally using her powers on Wanda, so I feel like it's weird if she was already under her spell before that? I think she made Wanda forget everything about her past life at the beginning, but as moments started to happen that triggered Wanda's memory, by the end of episode 3 she's already aware (except about the creation of the hex and what happened right before it).
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    spoilers:
    I don't think she was "breaking free". I think Monica was just getting through her in like, a normal, empathetic sense that made Wanda see her point. At the end we see her acutally using her powers on Wanda, so I feel like it's weird if she was already under her spell before that? I think she made Wanda forget everything about her past life at the beginning, but as moments started to happen that triggered Wanda's memory, by the end of episode 3 she's already aware (except about the creation of the hex and what happened right before it).
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I think the difference is before she was controlling Wanda and everyone while hiding who she really is. Now that she doesn't need to hide that she can execute whatever plan she or maybe who is really behind this has in mind. So she doesn't need to hide it from Wanda and let her roam in this happy existence. She's now likely gonna hold her captive for a bit. Wanda will likely break free. There is still that clip that hasn't been in the show of her and Vision fighting for their home, and also of Wanda casting magic that looks different from what she's been using. And the veil of the town being lifted. Those were very early teasers. So definitely get the vibe that Wanda is breaking free. She already started to notice she wasn't completely in control episodes ago.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I don't think Agatha is actually evil nor a straight villain in this at all. Despite the evil witch act...for all we know she could be being controlled to some degree to be the "Evil Witch" Agatha. Who was "behind it all along" which is the same thing Monica said about Wanda after being thrown out. Even though it wasn't exactly true. So there's a chance that Agatha was/is trying to help Wanda and things got out of hand or other forces given the scale of Wanda's powers and instability. Attracted obvious differentiating forces that utilized information (Figured out by whom, we don't know. Could be Wanda herself or Agatha or someone else).

That would give her enough reason for her to break into SWORD and take Vision's body. After being told the truth about Hayward plans, which would kick-start her putting a whole town in a super-powered hex pocket reality, coping session. Which is being enhanced by the mysterious book in Harkness basement, that's both feeding off her "chaotic" raw emotions and supplying her as well unbeknownst to Wanda.

Beside that Wanda needs to get her "Scarlet Witch" title and given the aforementioned questioning by Hayward himself to Woo about the fact that she doesn't have a nickname. Even after being accepted as an Avenger. IMO that wasn't a throw away line as we know that Agatha is the one that pushes her to use that name. Within the comics.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by OblivionX33; 02-20-2021 at 03:17 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Considering she's probably going to replace Brie Larson as Captain Marvel after Captain Marvel 2, I doubt she's going to be a sidekick character.
    Do you have evidence of this claim because I'd really to see it.
    Otherwise this is purely baseless speculation
    Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    If true, I'm going to laugh hysterically. Should make for fun times seeing all of the MCU Captain Marvel's fans, many of whom do not read comics and are unfamiliar with the history, getting highly peeved when they see Monica "stealing" Carol's mantle. Have to mark my calendar for that date whenever the CM3 movie release is announced.
    It's fun you say that like Monica isn't the character who's had the least right and claim to the Captain Marvel name, she never had anything to do with Mar-Vell, skrulls or the kree she got the name purely so Marvel could keep the rights to it

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Considering she's probably going to replace Brie Larson as Captain Marvel after Captain Marvel 2, I doubt she's going to be a sidekick character.
    pure nonesense

Fantastic Member

Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but Agatha's song starts with her flying into Westview and transforming herself to better fit, so, I think she wasn't originally inside the Hex, she came there later to see that is happening and discovered that entire town is mind-controlled and manipulated by someone. Instead of directly saying the truth to Wanda and potentially provoke her (as happened with Monica), Agatha started to mess with things in order to slowly wake up Wanda and let her see and remember that everything around isn't real, Agatha's actions also helped Vision to do the same. And the book is probably used to protect Agatha from being mind-controlled as well and/or from being discovered by the main villain.

The song is sung from the perspective of this main villain who only now realized that his plan is falling apart because of Agatha, that "it's been Agatha all along" who was "messing things" and "pulling strings" and caused all the problems.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harasar View Post
    Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but Agatha's song starts with her flying into Westview and transforming herself to better fit, so, I think she wasn't originally inside the Hex, she came there later to see that is happening and discovered that entire town is mind-controlled and manipulated by someone. Instead of directly saying the truth to Wanda and potentially provoke her (as happened with Monica), Agatha started to mess with things in order to slowly wake up Wanda and let her see and remember that everything around isn't real, Agatha's actions also helped Vision to do the same. And the book is probably used to protect Agatha from being mind-controlled as well and/or from being discovered by the main villain.

The song is sung from the perspective of this main villain who only now realized that his plan is falling apart because of Agatha, that "it's been Agatha all along" who was "messing things" and "pulling strings" and caused all the problems.
    She came in and took advantage of the Hex I feel.