Page 193 of 283 FirstFirst ... 93143183189190191192193194195196197203243 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,895 of 4237

Thread: Wandavision

Ultimate Member

I just want to say I'm glad the show didn't make her a mutant or Magneto's daughter. Mutants need to be introduced on their own, and I don't think Magneto would be a good father to her.

Yes, she is better off and after all, the status quo in comics is not that, so I knew the MCU wouldn't despite many folks' wishes. Nope.
    So in that vein, Evan as Pietro as Wanda's brother was a bit of a YOLO; it is now clear that a different pathway brings mutants and the X characters in, and no need of Wanda's origin reflecting Magneto. She is finally clear of this comic book baggage that has dragged her down for decades.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Yes, she is better off and after all, the status quo in comics is not that, so I knew the MCU wouldn't despite many folks' wishes. Nope.
    So in that vein, Evan as Pietro as Wanda's brother was a bit of a YOLO; it is now clear that a different pathway brings mutants and the X characters in, and no need of Wanda's origin reflecting Magneto. She is finally clear of this comic book baggage that has dragged her down for decades.
    I wouldn't go that far 616 Wanda still has hella baggage and is a whole Pariah their's still work to be done.

The Magneto thing was always a very soap opera-y retcon. It kind of worked because comicbooks are more forgiving of soap opera retcons than most genres. In a modern movie, it would feel very, very cringey. Movie adaptions of this sort of thing are inherently an opportunity to make things cleaner than comics, streamlining those things that worked about the character and skipping the cringey soap opera retcons that infect the genre.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I wouldn't go that far 616 Wanda still has hella baggage and is a whole Pariah their's still work to be done.
    That's true, and even in the MCU she's still a pariah in some ways.

Has Magneto being her and QS's dad ever benefitted them? From what I can gather, he's indirectly responsible for HoM and no more mutants (correct me if I'm wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, Agatha is still kind of Wanda's mentor like in the comics, just in a more twisted and insidious way.
    I wonder if they will continue that mentor role in the next Doctor Strange movie. Wanda desperately needs a mentor. Wielding magic is not just about being powerful. As they said in the show, Wanda is more powerful than Doctor Strange. True, but lots of magical characters are more powerful than Doctor Strange. The Sorcerer Supreme doesn't need to be the strongest magic user. He/she needs to be the wisest, with the broadest knowledge of different types of magic and spells and beings. That's why Strange has historically been shown studying and meditating all the time. He out-thinks his opponents. Wanda here has just manifested a huge amount of magical power, but she has no experience or understanding of what she is capable of. She is all power, but no wisdom. Agatha was right to be terrified and caution that Wanda doesn't know what she's doing. Agatha has been studying for centuries. She struck me as being amoral (chaotic neutral) rather than evil. She just wants power. Agatha may (?) be experienced enough to dip into the Darkhold judiciously, understanding the danger and her own limitations, but Wanda has zero experience dealing with magic spellcraft at that level. She needs a more experienced, wiser witch to guide her training. I don't know what the MCU's plans are for Wanda or Agatha going forward. I'd prefer that they bring Agatha back in the role of mentor/reluctant ally rather than simple villain.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

I'm really happy with what this series was able to accomplish. The fact that it went from a show I was not anticipating at all to one of my favorite pieces of MCU media is impressive. They committed to telling a character-driven tale of grief and did not have to rely on easter eggs to make the audience invested. The weakest Marvel movies are the ones that lean on the shared universe concept like a crutch to distract from an otherwise mediocre and forgettable story. Wandavision is not that, its a compelling narrative that stands on its own, pushes the characters forward while retroactively improving some weak points in the previous films. As someone who has gotten tired of how the MCU makes their movies, this was a great change of pace, something that I see myself revisiting again and again because it was so entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    The Magneto thing was always a very soap opera-y retcon. It kind of worked because comicbooks are more forgiving of soap opera retcons than most genres. In a modern movie, it would feel very, very cringey. Movie adaptions of this sort of thing are inherently an opportunity to make things cleaner than comics, streamlining those things that worked about the character and skipping the cringey soap opera retcons that infect the genre.
    When you talk about soap opera/conventions, you're talking my style.
    that is why we always get teased about Namor and Sue, for example, though it really will never happen.

But in terms of Wanda, et all, one of my favorite interactions between them was around the late # 40 somethings of the Avengers, late '60s. Magneto was trying to convince the twins to leave the Avengers (who were particularly down in the power department and a series of Soap Opera things had been happening)

and caused a bullet fired, to graze her temple, causing a loss of her powers for a time. But also he was able to convince Pietro that humans would always be against mutants, yada yada, and so the twins left the Avengers; they didn't stay with Magneto very long either.

But it was a dramatic story some years before they discovered that he supposedly was their father.
    let alone the idea they were the children of the '40s Whizzer and Miss America was still more than 5 years away.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    The Magneto thing was always a very soap opera-y retcon. It kind of worked because comicbooks are more forgiving of soap opera retcons than most genres.
    Yes we all know "Luke I'm your father" happened in a comic book.

Movie adaptions of this sort of thing are inherently an opportunity to make things cleaner than comics,
    Tony's parents being killed by Cap's immortal brainwashed best friend is very much a comic book story quite apart from the clean origin where they just died in a car accident in the movie...Oh wait!

...streamlining those things that worked about the character and skipping the cringey soap opera retcons that infect the genre.
    WandaVision quite obviously hints that there's more to Wanda's past than she knows, that she's magical from birth, that the Infinity Stone which killed all human subjects spared her (and her brother Pietro it seems). So it's set up for to be a mutant and daughter of her dad.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

Tony's parents being killed by Cap's immortal brainwashed best friend is very much a comic book story quite apart from the clean origin where they just died in a car accident in the movie...Oh wait!

WandaVision quite obviously hints that there's more to Wanda's past than she knows, that she's magical from birth, that the Infinity Stone which killed all human subjects spared her (and her brother Pietro it seems). So it's set up for to be a mutant and daughter of her dad.
    But why would that be a good idea? Why not leave her out of the whole mutant saga?

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

I don't think so. And don't really want it. It's best for them to keep one set of parents for her and the powers she has are plenty. And I really like the Sailor Mars like transformation for her. She doesn't need the other stuff tacked on, and it being tacked on would be for other reasons that for her story. So it's not necessary.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    That's true, and even in the MCU she's still a pariah in some ways.

Has Magneto being her and QS's dad ever benefitted them? From what I can gather, he's indirectly responsible for HoM and no more mutants (correct me if I'm wrong)
    I would not really blame Magneto as a character, but that relationship isn't really helpful to say the least.

That was another thing that event got wrong. Mags wasn't around enough to have that much of an impact on Wanda for her to feel like he mattered to how she felt about things. He wasn't at fault.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I would not really blame Magneto as a character, but that relationship isn't really helpful to say the least.
    Exactly. Didn't he "kill" Quicksilver once?

The Avengers are Wanda's real family and friends, and the mutant stuff only seems like a detriment to her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    But why would that be a good idea? Why not leave her out of the whole mutant saga?
    Because,
    A) The Avengers that she joined is dead -- Tony dead, Widow dead, Cap retired, Hawkeye retired, Hulk crippled, Thor (who knows), Vision (it's complicated) -- so there's not much you can do with her in the Avengers. Maybe you can recast and revive some of them but it wouldn't be the versions of the character Olsen's Wanda has a link to.

B) She would serve as a major anchor in continuity between the early phases of the MCU and the newly emerging expanding stable that's to come with the FF and the X-Men. Since Olsen is so young, she can play Scarlet Witch for another 2 decades or so, and she'll serve as an immediate and visible link between the Infinity Saga and the later ones.

C) Scarlet Witch remember has never been a major superhero in the comics. She's always been a marginal character in the Avengers, once you do the story of her and Vision (which they wrapped up), and the story of her time in the Avengers, the only thing left is her relationship and history with the mutant community. Because otherwise she doesn't have a deep or dense set of stories and a regular roster of bad guys against whom she regularly fought crime.

D) Scarlet Witch was introduced as a mutant in the comics. She wasn't always Magneto's daughter true, but she was a mutant at the start from her first appearance. Her and Pietro.