Page 20 of 283 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Wandavision

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Chaos magic and some of the stuff with Agatha. People often forget that it was that run that Wands first warped reality too.

The show has been obviously borrowing from many different eras, then putting their own spin on that.

But what canon they keep in the comics doesn't have anything to do with the show. What wrecked her was Bendis using Byrne's content. That's the one they didn't really effectively repair.
    Ah, thanks for refreshing my memory. Looks like Wanda is more of a "self-taught" magician in WandaVision thus far.

I don't consider her allowing herself to be arrested as running away from her problems. That's pretty much the opposite of that.

All the heroes were on the run in IW. That was plot driven because they were supposed to lose. Wanda did try to destroy the mind stone but it was remade. It wasn't until they started parting Thanos with the stones that they had any chance.

No doubt she'll fight to stay there but nothing so far confirms if she's being controlled or not and with the blue soap being mentioned, it could be that she's been put in this dream world.

I also don't get the complaints about the mystery of the show. It was pretty certain from the start that it'd be a slow burn and hopefully pay off in the end.

Wanda has always been a complex character. Her show should be no different.
    As I said before, I'm really liking the show. However, this broad shares some of the same concerns I have with it:

https://www.laineygossip.com/marvel-...episodes/67869

https://www.laineygossip.com/ode-to-...-kitchen/67917

I think I used too strong a word earlier when I said I was "unhappy" with the series, I'm just a little bit frustrated. I want audiences and viewers to like it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I think it has advanced quite nicely. As a person who on these pages have OFTEN talked about serialized fiction - comic books, other things - and the role of soap opera type conventions in most such serialized fiction. WandaVision is a pretty good example as we shall see.

Who is the real victim or victimizer? Who is the real redemptionist. Those 3 are the roles that writers of serial fiction use, to change / perceptions about characters, to keep viewers interested, mystified and coming back.

I'd say we've seen all three of these tropes in Wanda's character thus portrayed. I'm willing to bet that Agnes/Agatha is also classic bait and switch. She will probably be helpful to Wanda and Vision.
    Remember how Schaeffer and Feige mentioned how the Twilight Zone heavily influenced the making of WandaVision? I wondered were they talking about the black and white version or the more modern one from the 80s. Noted author and screenwriter Richard Matheson wrote many wonderful and brilliant episodes for that show. One of them was Button, Button which was based on his own short story. That episode featured some horror and over-the-top humorous acting like WandaVision does. But I thought that episode was much better paced than any of the three of the WandaVision ones. I know it's not really fair to compare apples and oranges here, but I was hoping WandaVision would be closer to what the Twilight Zone was. Here is Button, Button you YouTube (this episode was quite famous as I recall, despite its obvious 80s production values):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBEC2A1uwt4

They made Button, Button into a feature length film over a decade ago called the Box. It was not successful because they stretched out the movie for TOO long. I don't think WandaVision will make the same mistake, but I think the slow burn is "boring" some watchers. I would love for them to be as engaged as they are in the Mandalorian, you know? And I agree with you, I think Agnes will help Wanda and Vision out when the occasion calls for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Kind of a six of one half dozen of the other sort of thing, I think. Wanda going into house arrest is "sorta" the responsible thing to do, but at the same time it prevented her from having any say in what was happening, with these Accords that were named after her own country and an event she had a big, direct hand in. And, at least as far as her conversation with Clint went, it seemed like she was running from the problem and letting Tony handle it more than she was being accountable for her mistake in Lagos.

Agreed. When this show was first announced it was my least anticipated of the D+ MCU shows but as we heard more about it and the whole sit com/fantasyland thing, it became the one I was most excited for and thus far I have not been disappointed. Wanda is one of those characters I've thought Marvel couldn't completely handle within a PG13 rating (same as Widow, Punisher, and a few others) but so far this show is proving me wrong, and giving us all the weird, complex, creepy, fun stuff I wanted to see from the character.
    Yeah, I'm really surprised how DARK WandaVision is. Maybe that's why the humor feels a bit "off" to me. I didn't think Disney Plus would have the guts to go this route.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    As I said before, I'm really liking the show. However, this broad shares some of the same concerns I have with it:

https://www.laineygossip.com/marvel-...episodes/67869

https://www.laineygossip.com/ode-to-...-kitchen/67917

I think I used too strong a word earlier when I said I was "unhappy" with the series, I'm just a little bit frustrated. I want audiences and viewers to like it more.
    It has a positive viewer and reviewer rating, so I think plenty like it. There's always gonna be people that have a different opinion on everything. That's not a problem.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Doesn't it have, like, the highest RottenTomatoes score of any MCU project?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Kind of a six of one half dozen of the other sort of thing, I think. Wanda going into house arrest is "sorta" the responsible thing to do, but at the same time it prevented her from having any say in what was happening, with these Accords that were named after her own country and an event she had a big, direct hand in. And, at least as far as her conversation with Clint went, it seemed like she was running from the problem and letting Tony handle it more than she was being accountable for her mistake in Lagos.

Agreed. When this show was first announced it was my least anticipated of the D+ MCU shows but as we heard more about it and the whole sit com/fantasyland thing, it became the one I was most excited for and thus far I have not been disappointed. Wanda is one of those characters I've thought Marvel couldn't completely handle within a PG13 rating (same as Widow, Punisher, and a few others) but so far this show is proving me wrong, and giving us all the weird, complex, creepy, fun stuff I wanted to see from the character.
    It's not like her saying anything would really change anything. She had used her powers without being properly trained and people died. She felt guilty. What was she gonna argue? She already made the point that Tony was plenty dangerous himself. Her choices were rebel and actually run away or face the music.

I didn't see any of your take from it. She has been adverse to having Tony handle anything. And even voiced that to Cap.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Second now. Tied with Endgame. Just behind Black Panther. It's doing very well.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    The critics love it the most. The audiences are clearly enjoying it as well, but not by as much. And I want audiences to enjoy it even more. The potential is totally there for WandaVision to be the next Mandalorian.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultas...h=8a06fd16e633

The critics love it the most. The audiences are clearly enjoying it as well, but not by as much. And I want audiences to enjoy it even more. The potential is totally there for WandaVision to be the next Mandalorian.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultas...h=8a06fd16e633
    You are posting individual blog posts though. We are talking overall ratings. Not everyone is gonna like everything. It's a given. But most do like this show.

It has a positive viewer and reviewer rating, so I think plenty like it. There's always gonna be people that have a different opinion on everything. That's not a problem.
    Sure, I agree people like the show. I'm one of them. And people are entitled to different opinions. I just think the series STILL has the potential to gain MORE favor with general audiences than it already has.

I mean, in a sense, it hasn't been crafted for broad appeal - which just means it's not generic. We have 10 years of movies filled with formulaic marvel fare, it's fine, and honestly great, that they are taking chances with WandaVision. Most of the "negativity" I'm seeing about the show is that people generally don't like the sitcom aspect. That's fine. People should feel free to not enjoy it, if it doesn't coincide with their sensibilities, then they're not going to get as much from it as others. But that doesn't mean the show is bad, it does what it intends to do spectacularly. The sitcom elements are incorporated intelligently, the acting is amazing, the character moments are beautiful, the storytelling is sophisticated, and the mystery draws you in. WandaVision is telling a larger story - I like that it is letting the audience settle in with Wanda and Vision and pulling back more layers bit by bit.

You are posting individual blog posts though. We are talking overall ratings. Not everyone is gonna like everything. It's a given. But most do like this show.
    That Forbes article shows that the Mandalorian is connecting with audiences much more strongly when it is compared with WandaVision. Clearly critics like WandaVision a little bit more than the Mandalorian, but I want audiences to feel just as positive about WandaVision as they did with the Mandalorian. I want the audience score percentages for WandaVision to be higher. And I think that goal is totally achievable. Actually I think WandaVision might be the only MCU project that can actually achieve this goal.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-25-2021 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibara View Post
    I mean, in a sense, it hasn't been crafted for broad appeal - which just means it's not generic. We have 10 years of movies filled with formulaic marvel fare, it's fine, and honestly great, that they are taking chances with WandaVision. Most of the "negativity" I'm seeing about the show is that people generally don't like the sitcom aspect. That's fine. People should feel free to not enjoy it, if it doesn't coincide with their sensibilities, then they're not going to get as much from it as others. But that doesn't mean the show is bad, it does what it intends to do spectacularly. The sitcom elements are incorporated intelligently, the acting is amazing, the character moments are beautiful, the storytelling is sophisticated, and the mystery draws you in. WandaVision is telling a larger story - I like that it is letting the audience settle in with Wanda and Vision and pulling back more layers bit by bit.
    Yes, I agree with you that WandaVision is not the same as many other superhero projects, but I do think it can STILL reach wider audiences no matter how weird things get. And I do concur with all your points regarding the show. There's a lot to like about this series. It's just very...Non-traditional!

That Forbes article shows that the Mandalorian is connecting with audiences much more strongly when it is compared with WandaVision. Clearly critics like WandaVision a little bit more than the Mandalorian, but I want audiences to feel just as positive about WandaVision as they did with the Mandalorian. I want the audience score percentages for WandaVision to be higher. And I think that goal is totally achievable. Actually I think WandaVision might be the only MCU project that can actually achieve this goal.
    Forbes articles are written by independent contributors. So it's just an individual's opinion.

Mando is 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, and 8.8/10 on IMDb and 71% Metacritic

Wandavision is 94% on Rotten Tomatoes, 7.5/10 on IMDb and 76% Metacritic

These shows aren't far off from each other in overall reception.