Page 21 of 283 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Wandavision

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Forbes articles are written by independent contributors. So it's just an individual's opinion.

Mando is 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, and 8.8/10 on IMDb and 71% Metacritic

Wandavision is 94% on Rotten Tomatoes, 7.5/10 on IMDb and 76% Metacritic

These shows aren't far off from each other in overall reception.
    I just want that IMDb score for WandaVision to be higher. Not because it's bad, I just think there's definitely room for improvement. WandaVision should be like Tom Brady. Trying to reach as many Super Bowls as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I just want that IMDb score for WandaVision to be higher. Not because it's bad, I just think there's definitely room for improvement. WandaVision should be like Tom Brady. Trying to reach as many Super Bowls as possible!
    I think you are cherry-picking there though.... like the only score that's lower than Mando of the ratings is the one selectively you want improved. Let the show play out. Mando is on it's second season too. Wanda is only 3 episodes in... this is craziness.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

I think you are cherry-picking there though.... like the only score that's lower than Mando of the ratings is the one selectively you want improved. Let the show play out. Mando is on it's second season too. Wanda is only 3 episodes in... this is craziness.
    I know I'm being unreasonable. Maybe even a bit unfair. But I REALLY want this show to succeed for Wanda's and Vision's sakes. And I absolutely think it can. I just don't want to read more articles like this about this series (its author has not seen episode three yet):

https://jacobinmag.com/2021/01/wanda...ney-surrealism

The complaints from this above piece can totally be avoided in my opinion. And it was a favorable review! Jones was definitely much more critical of Wonder Woman 1984.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-25-2021 at 07:26 PM.

I know I'm being unreasonable. Maybe even a bit unfair. But I REALLY want this show to succeed for Wanda's and Vision's sakes. And I absolutely think it can. I just don't want to read more articles like this about this series (its author has not seen episode three yet):

https://jacobinmag.com/2021/01/wanda...ney-surrealism

The complaints from this above piece can totally be avoided in my opinion. And it was a favorable review! Jones was definitely much more critical of Wonder Woman 1984.
    It's already succeeding though. Like very rarely shows and movies are so well received. It's been great for Marvel. Not many others.

Don't read those articles then. Even if they introduced this show all at once or changed things to appease ones that don't like it, some others wouldn't like it. Nothing ever has appeased everyone. And some of the most popular cult faves weren't very successful.

You will never avoid there being negative reviews.

Extraordinary Member

I like the show so far, but I'm fine with people who tune out after the first two or three episodes. You can't expect people to come back if they're not having a good time. If they hear it's gotten better then they can always come back and watch it later.

Feige and co. were hoping that people would enjoy the sitcom stuff for its own sake and not worry so much about the fact that there wasn't much action. That's why they shot the first episode in front of a live audience and tried as hard as they could to make a funny sitcom episode.

But a lot of people, especially younger people, aren't as familiar with old sitcoms as people of Feige's generation, who grew up on the reruns. That may have been a miscalculation, if they're unable to keep people from tuning out.

I like sitcoms and I like spotting all the Easter Eggs for Wanda's history in the MCU and the comics, so I'm the target audience for this. If the show doesn't perform up to Disney's expectations then that will be too bad, because it will discourage Feige from trying risky things in the future, but it's good that they tried. And anyway it's a little early to know if the show is a hit or not.

It's already succeeding though. Like very rarely shows and movies are so well received. It's been great for Marvel. Not many others.

Don't read those articles then. Even if they introduced this show all at once or changed things to appease ones that don't like it, some others wouldn't like it. Nothing ever has appeased everyone. And some of the most popular cult faves weren't very successful.

You will never avoid there being negative reviews.
    I don't think the reviews I posted were THAT negative. Each of the critics for the most part seem to actually really enjoy it. They all praised its boldness and creativity. They all basically just want things to move along. As do I. I don't care about negative reviews because no work of art is uniformly well-received. I care about reviews that offer interesting analyses that I can gain perspective from. And they can be positive as well as negative. I'm liking WandaVision a lot so far, but I think there's definite room for improvement. I'm curious to see what the deal with Pietro is. It seems he's gonna play a pretty big role in this project. I have my theories on who he actually is, but I just don't buy into the notion that he's a mutant. I'm just hoping he doesn't turn into a bad guy.

I don't think the reviews I posted were THAT negative. Each of the critics for the most part seem to actually really enjoy it. They all praised its boldness and creativity. They all basically just want things to move along. As do I. I don't care about negative reviews because no work of art is uniformly well-received. I care about reviews that offer interesting analyses that I can gain perspective from. And they can be positive as well as negative. I'm liking WandaVision a lot so far, but I think there's definite room for improvement. I'm curious to see what the deal with Pietro is. It seems he's gonna play a pretty big role in this project. I have my theories on who he actually is, but I just don't buy into the notion that he's a mutant. I'm just hoping he doesn't turn into a bad guy.
    I think if you hold on to hope of people appearing that are only rumored, you might be setting yourself up for disappointment. I hope ATJ is in this. I don't really care if the X-Men version is there, because while he was fun, he wasn't Pietro. But I'm not putting any bets on anyone being there that isn't confirmed in the casting list.

I'm just gonna enjoy the show for what actually is and anything extra will be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I like the show so far, but I'm fine with people who tune out after the first two or three episodes. You can't expect people to come back if they're not having a good time. If they hear it's gotten better then they can always come back and watch it later.

Feige and co. were hoping that people would enjoy the sitcom stuff for its own sake and not worry so much about the fact that there wasn't much action. That's why they shot the first episode in front of a live audience and tried as hard as they could to make a funny sitcom episode.

But a lot of people, especially younger people, aren't as familiar with old sitcoms as people of Feige's generation, who grew up on the reruns. That may have been a miscalculation, if they're unable to keep people from tuning out.

I like sitcoms and I like spotting all the Easter Eggs for Wanda's history in the MCU and the comics, so I'm the target audience for this. If the show doesn't perform up to Disney's expectations then that will be too bad, because it will discourage Feige from trying risky things in the future, but it's good that they tried. And anyway it's a little early to know if the show is a hit or not.
    I think Marvel Studios might have misfired when they put Wanda and Vision in older sitcoms. Even my dad didn't like watching that stuff when he was younger. He was more into stuff like the Prisoner, the Man from U.N.C.L.E. and the Fugitive. He liked Three's Company and the Partridge Family though. This can be easily remedied with Wanda and Vision in appearing in more modern sitcoms. Which is inevitably gonna happen. I definitely appreciate Feige and company taking risks and applaud them for doing different things. But I think making the comedy more "modern" and "up-to-date" will help the series immensely. Then I think the pacing issues will go away. Making people laugh can make shows with nonsensical plots still very viable.

I think if you hold on to hope of people appearing that are only rumored, you might be setting yourself up for disappointment. I hope ATJ is in this. I don't really care if the X-Men version is there, because while he was fun, he wasn't Pietro. But I'm not putting any bets on anyone being there that isn't confirmed in the casting list.

I'm just gonna enjoy the show for what actually is and anything extra will be cool.
    I hope ATJ is in this too. He seemed to really be passionate about playing Pietro and he did it well. I liked the fact that Whedon made him less of a dick in the Week of Ultron than he often is in the comic books. But I'm kinda worried any Quicksilver that appears in WandaVision will be an asshole. If he doesn't make any appearances after WandaVision, I don't wanna him to be remembered like that. I don't consider Peters to be Pietro either. I felt really bad for ATJ when the rest of the Avengers performers were having a great time on those Age of Ultron press junkets, while he knew he wouldn't be sticking around. I think playing Pietro is actually still his most famous role. I do think Marvel Studios killed off Quicksilver and Vision partly to give Wanda some trauma to deal with. But her reactions to their deaths weren't really "earned" in my opinion. But I think WandaVision will change that. WandaVision is doing great in the romance department. One thing I do appreciate with this show is that it is showing Wanda's and Vision's relationship in detail onscreen. It's been a very healthy, loving and supportive one...That is until Wanda lied to Vision. I think Marvel Studios should do that with more couples in the future, but I'm not sure if that will be possible. What other superhero couples have had such interesting domestic lives in the Marvel Universe?
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-25-2021 at 08:08 PM.

I hope ATJ is in this too. He seemed to really be passionate about playing Pietro and he did it well. I liked the fact that Whedon made him less of a dick in the Week of Ultron than he often is in the comic books. But I'm kinda worried any Quicksilver that appears in WandaVision will be an asshole. If he doesn't make any appearances after WandaVision, I don't wanna him to be remembered like that. I don't consider Peters to be Pietro either. I felt really bad for ATJ when the rest of the Avengers performers were having a great time on those Age of Ultron press junkets, while he knew he wouldn't be sticking around. I think playing Pietro is actually still his most famous role. I do think Marvel Studios killed off Quicksilver and Vision partly to give Wanda some trauma to deal with. But her reactions to their deaths weren't really "earned" in my opinion. But I think WandaVision will change that. WandaVision is doing great in the romance department. One thing I do appreciate with this show is that it is showing Wanda's and Vision's relationship in detail onscreen. It's a very healthy, loving and supportive one...That is until Wanda lied to Vision. I think Marvel Studios should do that with more couples in the future, but I'm not sure if that will be possible. What other superhero couples have had such interesting domestic lives in the Marvel Universe?
    I absolutely love Wanda and Vision's relationship in the MCU. It doesn't have the baggage and negativity of the comics relationship. And it really seems to celebrate a lot of things from Vison and the Scarlet Witch. Which was when their comics relationship was at it's best too.

I think Marvel Studios might have misfired when they put Wanda and Vision in older sitcoms.
    Considering that they consulted Englehart on this show, it might be an idea that came from him. Years ago I read that sitcoms were the inspiration for his Vision and the Scarlet Witch run.

Extraordinary Member

Feige is a big fan of old sitcoms from the Nick at Nite days, and he's said he came up with the idea for the show because sitcoms were his comfort food, the place he went for escapism.

It's really "House of M but with sitcoms instead of mutants" (and with Wanda as the actual star of the story). Wanda has escaped into a world where problems are trivial and everything always turns out the way she and Vision want it.

Younger people still use sitcoms as escapist comfort food or "Friends" wouldn't be so incredibly popular. But I'm just not sure if they're as familiar with the tropes of 60s/70s sitcoms because those aren't rerun as often as they were in Feige's day.

I think Marvel Studios might have misfired when they put Wanda and Vision in older sitcoms. Even my dad didn't like watching that stuff when he was younger. He was more into stuff like the Prisoner, the Man from U.N.C.L.E. and the Fugitive. He liked Three's Company and the Partridge Family though. This can be easily remedied with Wanda and Vision in appearing in more modern sitcoms. Which is inevitably gonna happen. I definitely appreciate Feige and company taking risks and applaud them for doing different things. But I think making the comedy more "modern" and "up-to-date" will help the series immensely. Then I think the pacing issues will go away. Making people laugh can make shows with nonsensical plots still very viable.
    I know you said it yourself, but you're worrying too much. Concentrating on specific metrics and anecdotal evidence is always going to service your concerns. I mean I can counter your example with my own, i.e. I prefer the old sitcom elements over implementing things like Prisoner or the Fugitivie; see? it's not a misfire, it's a choice - one that some will enjoy and others will not. Enough people like the show and the bombastic spectacle other people want will come eventually. The mystery will amp up and we'll get some big moments and surprises. The show is niche, its not ever going to have "broad appeal." Yet, for such a niche and complex show, a lot of people are still enjoying it. Don't know why it matters if everyone does. People have different tastes and that's fine. Also the show is streaming, viewer habits will allow them to return if they want to watch how the series continues to unfold.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Feige is a big fan of old sitcoms from the Nick at Nite days, and he's said he came up with the idea for the show because sitcoms were his comfort food, the place he went for escapism.

It's really "House of M but with sitcoms instead of mutants" (and with Wanda as the actual star of the story). Wanda has escaped into a world where problems are trivial and everything always turns out the way she and Vision want it.

Younger people still use sitcoms as escapist comfort food or "Friends" wouldn't be so incredibly popular. But I'm just not sure if they're as familiar with the tropes of 60s/70s sitcoms because those aren't rerun as often as they were in Feige's day.
    It feels more like The Vision with some Vision and the Scarlet Witch aspects than HoM to me. Because Wanda is an active player and because it's not really about Wolverine. :P Of course the alternate reality is likely inspired by HoM. But that feels like the only similarity. And of course Wanda warped reality before that too.

Considering that they consulted Englehart on this show, it might be an idea that came from him. Years ago I read that sitcoms were the inspiration for his Vision and the Scarlet Witch run.
    The sitcom idea is sound in my opinion. I just think younger audiences will connect better with more modern sitcoms like Mad About You and Two and a Half Men. I wouldn't mind seeing Wanda and Vision being plopped in that era.