Page 22 of 283 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Wandavision

Quote Originally Posted by Ibara View Post
    I know you said it yourself, but you're worrying too much. Concentrating on specific metrics and anecdotal evidence is always going to service your concerns. I mean I can counter your example with my own, i.e. I prefer the old sitcom elements over implementing things like Prisoner or the Fugitivie; see? it's not a misfire, it's a choice - one that some will enjoy and others will not. Enough people like the show and the bombastic spectacle other people want will come eventually. The mystery will amp up and we'll get some big moments and surprises. The show is niche, its not ever going to have "broad appeal." Yet, for such a niche and complex show, a lot of people are still enjoying it. Don't know why it matters if everyone does. People have different tastes and that's fine. Also the show is streaming, viewer habits will allow them to return if they want to watch how the series continues to unfold.
    You're absolutely right. I worry too much. I'm basically the Telly Monster in human form. Oh wait, I'm also Oscar the Grouch in human form too. So I can be neurotic and grumpy sometimes. I have no problem with the sitcom concept. The idea of Wanda and Vision living together lends itself to that kind of format. I'm sure things will escalate, but I don't want too much physical fighting just yet. Some arguing is okay though. You are correct in saying that for a niche show, WandaVision is doing surprisingly well. I do think they can move things along and I think they will. But you don't like the Prisoner and the Fugitive? What the hell is wrong with you?!
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-25-2021 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    The sitcom idea is sound in my opinion. I just think younger audiences will connect better with more modern sitcoms like Mad About You and Two and a Half Men. I wouldn't mind seeing Wanda and Vision being plopped in that era.
    Modern Family is being referenced to some extent from what I've heard and it's way more modern than those others.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I absolutely love Wanda and Vision's relationship in the MCU. It doesn't have the baggage and negativity of the comics relationship. And it really seems to celebrate a lot of things from Vison and the Scarlet Witch. Which was when their comics relationship was at it's best too.
    So do I. Way more than I thought I would. As I've said many times before, I just didn't think the MCU would get into that. I figured it was just too silly for movie audiences. Boy, have I been proven wrong. And I'm happy to be proven incorrect in this instance. We have to thank Jac Schaeffer and Matt Shakman for this I think. They said the romantic element of the series was VERY important to them. And as I've watched the show, it's become very important to ME too. I like it more than Peter and Mary Jane and Clark and Lois. For the simple reason that the two of them have to overcome SO many obstacles from friends and foes alike to be together. And that's not counting the often bizarre circumstances that they find themselves in. That's pretty compelling in my opinion. Even though it IS considered to be a C-list romance.

Wait a minute! I thought your favorite relationship in the MCU was the one between Strange and Palmer. They definitely were a very LOUD couple.

So do I. Way more than I thought I would. As I've said many times before, I just didn't think the MCU would get into that. I figured it was just too silly for movie audiences. Boy, have I been proven wrong. And I'm happy to be proven incorrect in this instance. We have to thank Jac Schaeffer and Matt Shakman for this I think. They said the romantic element of the series was VERY important to them. And as I've watched the show, it's become very important to ME too. I like it more than Peter and Mary Jane and Clark and Lois. For the simple reason that the two of them have to overcome SO many obstacles from friends and foes alike to be together. And that's not counting the often bizarre circumstances that they find themselves in. That's pretty compelling in my opinion. Even though it IS considered to be a C-list romance.

Wait a minute! I thought your favorite relationship in the MCU was the one between Strange and Palmer. They definitely were a very LOUD couple.
    Why would it be? I've never made mention of that. I liked Strange when he was with Clea in the books and like Clea in general.

Modern Family is being referenced to some extent from what I've heard and it's way more modern than those others.
    I stopped watching sitcoms by the time Modern Family started. I didn't get Al Bundy showing up in there. His previous family wasn't particularly modern at all.

I stopped watching sitcoms by the time Modern Family started. I didn't get Al Bundy showing up in there. His previous family wasn't particularly modern at all.
    Well he's not Al Bundy. He's Ed O'Neil. And he's an actor playing a different character.

You're absolutely. I worry too much. I'm basically the Telly Monster in human form. Oh wait, I'm also Oscar the Grouch in human form too. So I can be neurotic and grumpy sometimes. I have no problem with the sitcom concept. The idea of Wanda and Vision living together lends itself to that kind of format. I'm sure things will escalate, but I don't want too much physical fighting just yet. Some arguing is okay though. You are correct in saying that for a niche show, WandaVision is doing surprisingly well. I do think they can move things along and I think they will. But you don't like the Prisoner and the Fugitive? What the hell is wrong with you?!
    Never said I didn't like them I just prefer my sitcoms over them. At the end of the day if you enjoy the show, that is all that should matter. You like a good show. The overall general reaction would have likely have been different if the rollout had followed Marvel's initial plan with Falcon and the Winter Soldier being the premier Marvel Disney+ show (familiar Marvel fare), followed by a surprising and nuanced WandaVision. But again, there's no point in ifs or maybes. I for one and happy that Wanda gets this honor .

Why would it be? I've never made mention of that. I liked Strange when he was with Clea in the books and like Clea in general.
    I was just kidding. I don't think many people seem to like that toxic relationship at all. The chemistry was totally off. And this is coming from somebody who likes Cumberbatch and McAdams.

Well he's not Al Bundy. He's Ed O'Neil. And he's an actor playing a different character.
    I know Ed's done different things after Married...with Children, but I don't see him as anything else besides Al Bundy. That was my favorite sitcom growing up! It's funny, I don't see Michael J. Fox as Alex Keaton from Family Ties, I see him as Mike Flaherty from Spin City!
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-25-2021 at 09:08 PM.

I know Ed's done different things after Married...with Children, but I don't see him as anything else besides Al Bundy. That was my favorite sitcom growing up! It's funny, I don't see Michael J. Fox as Alex Keaton from Family Ties, I see him as Mike Flaherty from Spin City!
    Ah I get what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibara View Post
    Never said I didn't like them I just prefer my sitcoms over them. At the end of the day if you enjoy the show, that is all that should matter. You like a good show. The overall general reaction would have likely have been different if the rollout had followed Marvel's initial plan with Falcon and the Winter Soldier being the premier Marvel Disney+ show (familiar Marvel fare), followed by a surprising and nuanced WandaVision. But again, there's no point in ifs or maybes. I for one and happy that Wanda gets this honor .
    It's funny that we're talking about the Prisoner and the Fugitive. I can totally see the Falcon and the Winter Soldier adopting the vibes from those shows as opposed to WandaVision. More thriller-like, if you know what I mean. I actually prefer sitcoms as well because I love humor. I do understand why Marvel Studios wanted to start the next phase of their projects with things like the Black Widow and the Falcon and the Winter Soldier. More "traditional" MCU fare. But that train has left the station, and I'm happy that Wanda is leading the charge now (although I'm not happy that so many people are suffering from this global pandemic). I definitely have to say that WandaVision is a subtle and nuanced show, yes. There's clearly something sinister lurking underneath the surface. I'm surprised Disney is allowing this kind of storytelling to happen to be honest. It's not THAT family-friendly in my view.

Ah I get what you are saying.
    Yeah, I didn't make myself clear. Sorry about that.

Yeah, I didn't make myself clear. Sorry about that.
    Don't worry about it. It makes for lively conversation.

Interesting podcast conversation about Wanda's and Vision's romance in the movies and about romance in general in comic books:

https://checkpointxp.com/2021/01/21/...and-dc-comics/

Both dudes here say that there is a person who is directly responsible for making the WandaVision romance work: Paul Bettany.

And let's be honest, nobody likes the whole will they, won't they stuff in comics. Comic book creators have NO idea how to write healthy relationships. They like the dysfunction and drama. If they did it like they did it in WandaVision, I would like it more. No question. I do wish that Vision would be called Victor in the show though.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-25-2021 at 09:40 PM.

Don't worry about it. It makes for lively conversation.
    Yeah, it has been fun!