Page 267 of 283 FirstFirst ... 167217257263264265266267268269270271277 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,005 of 4237

Thread: Wandavision

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Do they have more Avengers ensemble films already planned? I know we have a few solo films (Cap'n Marvel, BP, Spidey, Thor) and the Eternals and Guardians sequel are coming, and the Fantastic Four were announced. She will be in Doctor Strange but nothing suggests anything after that. It might be a very long while before we get another Avengers film. I'd rather see Olsen return in an X-Men film then see her decide to just move on from the MCU.
    i think she could show up in other projects, but I don't think any Avengers films will be any time soon either

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Do they have more Avengers ensemble films already planned? I know we have a few solo films (Cap'n Marvel, BP, Spidey, Thor) and the Eternals and Guardians sequel are coming, and the Fantastic Four were announced. She will be in Doctor Strange but nothing suggests anything after that. It might be a very long while before we get another Avengers film. I'd rather see Olsen return in an X-Men film then see her decide to just move on from the MCU.
    I would rather see her having a satisfying ending with her own story and never show up again than appear in X-Men at the risk of being dragged left and right.
    Also another Avengers movie would still be earlier than an X-Men movie, just saying. And I don't want her in X-franchise before the impression of her character is as it should be.

We have no idea if they are doing another Avengers team. But her only other option is not X-Men. Or anything X-Men related. There have been offshoot teams that aren't Avengers. Doctor Strange has also had teams like Defenders and Midnight Sons. They can do versions of that. And all the projects for this Phase have not been announced. They usually announce new things midway through.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Naw. Not every "villain" needs to be sympathetic. Agatha's motives were simple: she wanted power for the sake of wanting power. Agatha got greedy, and LOST. And if there is a need for character growth, NOW would be the time to start that journey, thanks to being "humbled" by a "baby witch" who doesn't deserve her power.
    I dunno. I'm okay with some villains just being "evil" every now and then, but they generally make the movies and shows they appear in weaker in my opinion. Look at Thor: The Dark World. I'm not down on that film as so many folks are, but the lack of compelling villains in it made it seem like a poor man's version of the Lord of the Rings. Here's a few passages I found online about Thor 2 which I found to be extremely illuminating:

"In the comics, Malekith the Accursed is one of Thor's top villains. If you want a great showcase for the character’s potential, do read writer Jason Aaron’s comic book run on Thor. The villain is complex, cunning, morally twisted, and a master manipulator throughout all the realms. Plus, Malekith has a distinctive look: he's all blue skin, sporting a black and red suit, and half of his face is scarred black. It’s a shame, then, that most of what makes the character interesting fails to translate to the big screen.

The MCU version of Malekith has none of those qualities – he's a dark and gritty villain with no personality. Christopher Eccleston’s Malekith features pale skin and ordinary all-black armor. The actor isn’t bad in the role, but he isn’t given enough material or spotlight to make an impression. He’s serious and evil just for the sake of it. Even his most meaningful moment, when he kills Thor’s mother Frigga, feels empty – he barely registers as an on-screen presence. Malekith ends up coming off as your standard villain, essentially indistinguishable from the goons in his army.

A lot of the time, it can be unfair to criticize a film adaptation of a comic book for straying too far from the source material. It is especially unfair when the majority of the audience watching said comic book film knows next to nothing about the characters. Still, by ignoring the villain's comic origins in The Dark World, Malekith ends up being so generic that the audience missed out on what should've been a Thanos-level memorable addition to the MCU.

Malekith ends up being so forgettable because his only motivation is some vague end goal of “covering the world in darkness.” That’s the difference between him and, say, Ben Kingsley’s interpretation of the Mandarin, which offered a fun twist that plays on viewer expectations.

If you’ve seen Avengers: Infinity War, it’s the perfect showcase for how the Reality Stone works, with the user being able to warp and twist reality at will. Knowing what it can do, it’s clear how much of a missed opportunity Thor: The Dark World really is.

Malekith’s plan to “cover the world in darkness” is a pretty boring plan. Considering how Thanos uses that same stone to turn enemies to ribbons, create false worlds, or twist objects into anything he could imagine, Malekith seems to lack imagination in comparison."

Usually I'm totally fine when the movies/shows stray from the source material, but in this case Marvel Studios really dropped the ball.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, Dark World is a prime example of how ignoring the source material makes the movies more generic. Many of the hollywood screen writers don't really know how to be imaginative.

Although is Malekith really a major Thor villain? Thor has a bunch of villains I'd say appear far more often than Malekith

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    We have no idea if they are doing another Avengers team. But her only other option is not X-Men. Or anything X-Men related. There have been offshoot teams that aren't Avengers. Doctor Strange has also had teams like Defenders and Midnight Sons. They can do versions of that. And all the projects for this Phase have not been announced. They usually announce new things midway through.
    If she's not a mutant in the MCU, idk how she'd connect to the X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Yeah, Dark World is a prime example of how ignoring the source material makes the movies more generic. Many of the hollywood screen writers don't really know how to be imaginative.

Although is Malekith really a major Thor villain? Thor has a bunch of villains I'd say appear far more often than Malekith
    I didn't know that Malekith was a major Thor villain, but I trust the author of that article which I got the quotes from. I thought Thanos used the Reality Stone VERY creatively in Infinity War. That's why IW is one of my favorite MCU properties. I've never really paid attention to reality warping in live-action before Doctor Strange's first movie, but Infinity War just took it to another level. Not to knock Wanda and Loki, but I like the way Strange uses magic more. And trust me, I've been EXTREMELY skeptical about how magic is used in movies and shows in the past, but I had NO problem with the ways in which they were used in Strange 1 and IW. I do think Loki and Wanda are better hand-to-hand combatants than Strange is though.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I didn't know that Malekith was a major Thor villain, but I trust the author of that article which I got the quotes from. I thought Thanos used the Reality Stone VERY creatively in Infinity War. That's why IW is one of my favorite MCU properties. I've never really paid attention to reality warping in live-action before Doctor Strange's first movie, but Infinity War just took it to another level. Not to knock Wanda and Loki, but I like the way Strange uses magic more. And trust me, I've been EXTREMELY skeptical about how magic is used in movies and shows in the past, but I had NO problem with the ways in which they were used in Strange 1 and IW. I do think Loki and Wanda are better hand-to-hand combatants than Strange is though.
    Yeah, Strange and Thanos used crazy magical stuff in IW. That was missing from DW, except the portal fight at the end which I liked

Yeah, Strange and Thanos used crazy magical stuff in IW. That was missing from DW, except the portal fight at the end which I liked
    I thought Loki's illusions were used pretty effectively in the Dark World. And he the way he deployed his illusions in battle was pretty cool. But I like limits on magic in fantasy stories. I think they're very important. In the Dark World, Loki shapeshifted into Captain America when Thor and him were trying to escape from Asgard. But it must be noted that even after he did that, the handcuffs that restrained him still remained on his hands. So keep the cool magical visuals in the movies/shows, but don't make these characters omnipotent. My knowledge on fictional magic is extremely rudimentary, so I save most of my comments on all things mystical/fantasy in the Strange thread where hopefully Wanda fans don't get to witness my appalling lack of knowledge regarding the subject.

Ultimate Member

I thought Loki's illusions were used pretty effectively in the Dark World. And he the way he deployed his illusions in battle was pretty cool. But I like limits on magic in fantasy stories. I think they're very important. In the Dark World, Loki shapeshifted into Captain America when Thor and him were trying to escape from Asgard. But it must be noted that even after he did that, the handcuffs that restrained him still remained on his hands. So keep the cool magical visuals in the movies/shows, but don't make these characters omnipotent. My knowledge on fictional magic is extremely rudimentary, so I save most of my comments on all things mystical/fantasy in the Strange thread where hopefully Wanda fans don't get to witness my appalling lack of knowledge regarding the subject.
    I like the rules to be consistent as well. Although most characters have been fairly nerfed so far. Loki hasn't show a lot of magic recently.

WandaVision: 10 comics to read if you liked the Disney+ series
    https://www.monstersandcritics.com/t...disney-series/

I like the rules to be consistent as well. Although most characters have been fairly nerfed so far. Loki hasn't show a lot of magic recently.
    I think that's gonna change with his own show coming up in a few months.

Ultimate Member

I think that's gonna change with his own show coming up in a few months.
    I hope so. I'm ready to see Loki(s) go all out!

This isn't true. Wanda's rights were never negotiated. Feige spoke openly about this before. When they negotiated the movie rights, the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were not involved so either studio could use them.
    There was rules though. Marvel couldn't call them mutants, Fox couldn't make any reference to the Avengers. Since Wanda is more associated with the Avengers than the X-Men, Fox didn't end up using her.

I see some people are comparing this week's episode of The Flash to WandaVision, as a town is trapped in a mysterious energy dome.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    There was rules though. Marvel couldn't call them mutants, Fox couldn't make any reference to the Avengers. Since Wanda is more associated with the Avengers than the X-Men, Fox didn't end up using her.

I see some people are comparing this week's episode of The Flash to WandaVision, as a town is trapped in a mysterious energy dome.
    Of course, but that has nothing to do with her being called the Scarlet Witch. They called her that in the credits. Wanda was never strongly connected to the mutant side. So that's an easy change that doesn't really impact her.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Ultimate Member

Of course, but that has nothing to do with her being called the Scarlet Witch. They called her that in the credits. Wanda was never strongly connected to the mutant side. So that's an easy change that doesn't really impact her.
    Did the studio just forget to call her Scarlet Witch in the movies, or did they intentionally wait until WandaVision