Page 7 of 283 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Wandavision

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    Do we know if the Harts will be making additional appearances besides the introductory episode? If Herb Hart is really the High Evolutionary, he would need to be in later episodes. It would be a pleasure to see Debra Jo Jo Rupp again. I hadn’t realized how much I missed Kitty and That 70s Show until now.

They’re definitely throwing references to all of Wanda’s origins. Bova Milk. The Whizzer statue. The wine bottle. They’re not unexpected, but their significance to the overall plot isn’t immediately apparent, unlike the ads for the Strucker watch and Stark toaster. Which now that I think about it, can also be seen as references to Vision and Wanda themselves.

What’s really leaving me intrigued is Wanda and Vision seeing the Beekeeper. Is Wanda conscious of that reality alteration and choosing to reject outside intervention, or was her ‘no’ simply coinciding with the true mastermind rewinding and rewriting reality to keep her and Vision from leaving? Is it anything like when Herb Hart started choking when he asked the wrong questions, and angered the powers that be? Or was that a bad luck hex subconsciously reacting to Wanda’s stress? What about the radio and Dottie’s hand? Has Vision noticed any of these types of incidents?

I also noticed how they are referencing Vision being faster than sound, and it definitely feels like it it an attempt to further tie Vision in to the creation of Tommy and Billy. I like that, because it seems like Vision is divorced from the twins besides the rare background cameo, even more so than Wanda. It sometimes feels like Marvel doesn’t respect him as the father because he’s an android. Bendis went so far as to hint that Simon was the real father in HoM, and ignoring his existence in other AUs where Wanda does get to raise them. While I do like the connection between Tommy and Pietro through the powers, I don’t mind if the show chooses to strengthen the tie to Vision instead. Who knows, maybe it will lead to the comics to letting Tommy have some interaction with Vision some day.

I wish it was Friday now, too.
    There is so much to be curious about, which is good. If I could figure it out all immediately it probably wouldn't capture me as much. I'm hoping we get more concrete stuff here and there soon to help push us along though.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    There is so much to be curious about, which is good. If I could figure it out all immediately it probably wouldn't capture me as much. I'm hoping we get more concrete stuff here and there soon to help push us along though.
    Agreed. The speculation is half the fun.

Some of the critics who received the third episode claimed that a certain name that hasn’t being bought up in a long time in the MCU is what begins the overall plot in earnest. If Wanda saw the same ads we did, it wouldn’t be Strucker or Stark. Who or what else does that leave? The obvious answer is Quicksilver, but it could also be Ultron or Zemo, to bring up other significant names to them that haven’t been mentioned in a while.

Agreed. The speculation is half the fun.

Some of the critics who received the third episode claimed that a certain name that hasn’t being bought up in a long time in the MCU is what begins the overall plot in earnest. If Wanda saw the same ads we did, it wouldn’t be Strucker or Stark. Who or what else does that leave? The obvious answer is Quicksilver, but it could also be Ultron or Zemo, to bring up other significant names to them that haven’t been mentioned in a while.
    Speculation indeed is fun. But I have read complaints that the show is not advancing the plot far enough. I like the character development, but I'm curious to see where this is going. I do think Episode 3 will definitely be different than the first two.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, it kind of sucks that Vision basically peaked in his debut movie.
    There wasn't much room for him to do much. Usually, comics-wise, characters like Vision and other B-list Avengers shine in the week to week non-event stuff in Avengers comics (or, the soap opera portions of the comic, if we're being honest). But the way the movies shook out you had Avengers 1 being the big initial team-up origin story, and Avengers 3 and 4 being the summer event crossover. That meant all the regular week-to-week, comic-to-comic Avengers stuff had to be done in Age of Ultron. And Whedon tried to fit it all in. That movie introduced one of the Avengers more personal foes (Ultron), introduced three B-list Avengers (Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Vision), did some romance stuff with the characters he had sole control over (Black Widow and Banner), killed off another character he had control over (Quicksilver), revealed a big secret about one character (Hawkeye has a family!?) and ended it all with a lineup change. He used practically every tool in an Avengers comic writer's toolkit for creating a costumed soap opera. It was a lot but he did it. But once the franchise got past that movie, there wasn't enough room for everyone to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Speculation indeed is fun. But I have read complaints that the show is not advancing the plot far enough. I like the character development, but I'm curious to see where this is going. I do think Episode 3 will definitely be different than the first two.
    I think these are people that went in thinking this show was gonna be like other MCU related things with lots of action. And probably aren't ready for the slow burn and creepy aspects. For those ones, they should probably wait and watch it all in one go in March.

I think these are people that went in thinking this show was gonna be like other MCU related things with lots of action. And probably aren't ready for the slow burn and creepy aspects. For those ones, they should probably wait and watch it all in one go in March.
    I'm happy for the slow burn and a healthy dose of pure Wanda and Vision. Getting to settle in and explore these characters/relationships was always why I was onboard for the show and Lizzie and Paul are doing a great job. TBH I think most of the the complaints will subside with this weeks episode, people have just been starved for MCU content that they want the big reveals now. Keeping in mind that F&tWS was supposed to premiere before WV and likely would have been flashier fare. Regardless, happy with the show so far and excited to see how the story continues to unfold.

I don't know how people could still think that when the promotion of the show was like completely focused on the sitcom thing... They showed SO MUCH from the 50's-70's period and made sure to mention the whole sitcom concept in like every single interview or article or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I don't know how people could still think that when the promotion of the show was like completely focused on the sitcom thing... They showed SO MUCH from the 50's-70's period and made sure to mention the whole sitcom concept in like every single interview or article or whatever.
    I don't know either. They'd have had to have avoided absolutely everything on the show. Which would be an amazing feat.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I enjoyed it. Looking forward to episode three.
    Me too. I think many are unused to plotting techniques; bait and switch or similar. My wife thought it was boring, but she only likes cooking contest show or ghost hunters. Episodic / serial story telling is not meant to be some easily formated (door # whatever). I think for those who watched and are not hung on 'immediacy' the last episode had more clear forboding and foreshadowing.

I know the source material like the back of my hand, but I'm being surprised and love it.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Movies are not TV shows. TV shows fall into a category, like comic books, of being serialized literature or stories. So everything is not slam bang all the time.

Serialized literature/shows, tends to depend more on character development and relationships. (think soap operas and you got it). So while this may seem to not serve 'superheroes' I'm never surprised by all the soap opera conventions that are in regular comic books.

So pacing is of course important. Another thing that came to my mind is that the first show was said to be filmed before a live audience, but that would imply that some necessary editing occured to make the show more seamless on broadcast. So some of that could contribute to how the pacing works or seems.
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    the first two episodes nailed it perfectly.
    If it wasnt an mcu show id still watch it, great quality tv
    There may be all kinds of reasons why some won't find it their cup of tea. My wife can only watch baking/cooking contests and shows that have just one format, basically a game show. So anything that involves remembering, or getting a nuance, just don't work for her. No, she doesn't need ketcjup; she is far to bland for that even.

So it is mostly worthless to try to interest her in watching with me. But a good 40 years ago, we devoured the source materials as comics. We loved the Wanda and Vision story, but along the way, she left comics behind and I did not.
    ~ Oberon ~

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I might be in the minority, but it was sooo boring.

I can already see the cogs behind the scenes, they are only using bookends to move the proper MCU forward because they know they can't make real changes in a TV show because that's reserved for the movies.

It reeks of what happened to Agents of SHIELD.

I may be wrong and the final episodes can be on par with the MCU but these first two episodes were so grating and inconsequential.
    AGENTS of Shield was amazing!!! By far the best Marvel show so far

Do we know if the Harts will be making additional appearances besides the introductory episode? If Herb Hart is really the High Evolutionary, he would need to be in later episodes.
    You're getting names mixed up - Herb is the black guy, not Mr Hart.

Mighty Member

Do you think wanda created this fantasy world because she was responible for her actions in captan America civil war

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    Do you think wanda created this fantasy world because she was responible for her actions in captan America civil war
    Probably a mix of all the traumas she's been through.

You'll notice that the first two fake commercials are based on terrible things that happened to her: the "Stark Toaster" is the Stark missile that killed her parents, and the "Strucker watch" refers to her time as a HYDRA lab experiment. As the show progresses I expect we'll see commercials based on other things that have ruined her life.