Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Is DC struggling to sell comics?

Why is it harder for dc than Marvel.post covet 19.DC is changing there game out.So Future state is about changing and paving the way for new heroes to take up the mantel. I guess we will see how it goes. Future state is like changing of the Gard.I wonder if the readers will like the new changing way

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    Why is it harder for dc than Marvel.post covet 19.DC is changing there game out.So Future state is about changing and paving the way for new heroes to take up the mantel. I guess we will see how it goes. Future state is like changing of the Gard.I wonder if the readers will like the new changing way
    Any proof of that? and Future State is only a 2 month event.

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    DC allowed themselves to be driven down by maintaining the old boys club so long. It stifled creativity and the line existed in a bunch of little fiefdoms that wouldn't talk or coordinate with each other. Marvel seems to be a bit better at hiring a more dynamic group of editors, writers, and artists. I will admit though there are a few "old boys club" writers and editors at Marvel and some of their books are stagnating because of it. Fantastic Four right now is awful.

I think Marvel is willing to take more character risks than DC and try different characters out. Like trying to revitalize the X-line by bringing in a few sort of ex-villains here and there whose motives we don't entirely know. But holy Marvel is really giving female characters a chance to shine which is actually pretty great. It's funny how the only book at Marvel with a limited number of female characters is Avengers, and all the other team books at Marvel are pretty much 50/50 for men and women.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    DC allowed themselves to be driven down by maintaining the old boys club so long. It stifled creativity and the line existed in a bunch of little fiefdoms that wouldn't talk or coordinate with each other. Marvel seems to be a bit better at hiring a more dynamic group of editors, writers, and artists. I will admit though there are a few "old boys club" writers and editors at Marvel and some of their books are stagnating because of it. Fantastic Four right now is awful.

I think Marvel is willing to take more character risks than DC and try different characters out. Like trying to revitalize the X-line by bringing in a few sort of ex-villains here and there whose motives we don't entirely know. But holy Marvel is really giving female characters a chance to shine which is actually pretty great. It's funny how the only book at Marvel with a limited number of female characters is Avengers, and all the other team books at Marvel are pretty much 50/50 for men and women.
    You mean just like DC is doing now? go back to the Marvel boards and hype your xbooks there.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think DC is struggling to sell comics more than Marvel. Marvel is not doing well selling comics either. They just have momentum and can flood the shelves and play with numbers using variants and over ships and cover prices. Retailers have little choice but to rely on that tactic. That is not to say Marvel did not ultimately outsell DC, Marvel has dominated the market. But Marvel books suffered the effects of diminishing sales as bad and often worse than DC.

I do think DC is not content with playing the same old game though.

Arrow

DC Comics does seem to be in trouble there is no denying that. Things can't continue the way there are. Now if Future State is the beginning of their renaissance or their last dying gasp remains to be seen.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    DC Comics does seem to be in trouble there is no denying that. Things can't continue the way there are. Now if Future State is the beginning of their renaissance or their last dying gasp remains to be seen.
    you mean infinite frontier?

Quote Originally Posted by kf26 View Post
    you mean infinite frontier?
    Whatever they call it, I've lost track.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

DC is going back to their old boys club mentality. They don't like it if fans like a certain characters more. Hell damions solo is literally what every Cassandra cain fan wanted for years (his costume is even like hers). They don't want to push other characters. All this ignoring that its mostly the same writers. There's not really any new blood at DC. They stuck in in a rut cycling the same ideas and backtracking on all their promises. If they not then their too lazy to do a relaunch right. There shoud be more content then this

do we have figures and statistics or are we just speculating?
    The J-man

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Marvel seems to beat DC whatever the latter does (since the late '60s, BTW), so it's not like its something new.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Marvel seems to beat DC whatever the latter does (since the late '60s, BTW), so it's not like its something new.
    This.

Based just on their properties and longevity, they should always be neck-and-neck with Marvel, even surpassing them now and then. There's no reason they should always be a distant 2nd.

But historically, DC can't get its sh*t together - be it comics, movies, merchandise, etc - and it doesn't look like that's about to change anytime in the foreseeable future...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    This.

Based just on their properties and longevity, they should always be neck-and-neck with Marvel, even surpassing them now and then. There's no reason they should always be a distant 2nd.

But historically, DC can't get its sh*t together - be it comics, movies, merchandise, etc - and it doesn't look like that's about to change anytime in the foreseeable future...
    They'll always have animation...

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    DC is going back to their old boys club mentality. They don't like it if fans like a certain characters more. Hell damions solo is literally what every Cassandra cain fan wanted for years (his costume is even like hers). They don't want to push other characters. All this ignoring that its mostly the same writers. There's not really any new blood at DC. They stuck in in a rut cycling the same ideas and backtracking on all their promises. If they not then their too lazy to do a relaunch right. There shoud be more content then this
    Thats not being fair. Damian is the newer and more popular character. This might be harsh, but so what if Cass Cain fans want that book. Thats just sour grapes. But look at their solics. Wally, John Stewart, Far Sector, that JL roster. They are pushing plenty of other characters. They got Taylor on Nightwing, something that would never happen under the old regime, and new creators on Flash, TTs, Superman, Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad, and Green Lantern. They aren't reinventing the wheel but there are changes here.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-15-2021 at 05:05 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    do we have figures and statistics or are we just speculating?

I wouldn't say speculating, more of logical inference. The line for a relaunch is very narrow, also yara flor's wonder girl book that was announced as part of this still hasn't come through with line staples books ( Green arrow and aqua man and batgirl) are missing. And the promise of treating legacy characters right like Cassandra cain don't seem to be happening. If feels very slow and incomplete. It's not crazy to thing that part of a bigger problem