Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Question, they're a thread for DC Infinite Universe ?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dioman-san View Post
    Question, they're a thread for DC Infinite Universe ?
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...iverse+digital might be the most recent one.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Thanks for the link !

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    We are PAST that point. WAY past it.

SO while Batman sells-he like Sopranos, X-MEN, Friends, Games of Thrones and others leave a LOT of unsold stuff behind. That nobody wants and we have all seen it. A bin or clearance section filled with a "top" seller. How many of us have bought a grab bag of comics and it was nothing but Batman? I have paid $12 for 25 DC books and half of it was Batman-that totaled $30 based on the cover price.

Quantity control seems to be this demon that so many folks take issue with when we talk Batman. 50 Batman books might look good on a sale chart but how does that help Wonder Woman or Hawkman?

Like Cranger said go back a decade (or two) and DC was not worshipping Batman like this.

Waverider had events starring him. Books were not tossing Batman into every book to boost sales.

It just recently got out of control. Death Metal-yeah I see those figures in stores. COLLECTING DUST. Another issue DC has. Nobody wants their toys. That look HORRIBLE for the 5th straight Christmas walking down a toy isle and Marvel, TMNT, Power Rangers, WWE and most of Star Wars GONE and only DC stuff left-mainly Batman.

Other companies are not as they have their books in other places with a few exceptions.
    Look at Boom Studios-orders have gone up for some of their books. In terms of trades many of those books have not had an issue beating DC.

Why? Because they offer variety and have ZERO issues promoting them.
    I agree with you, anyhow it all comes down to lack of promoting, there is no attempt to promote any of their characters that is not batman. Its not just comics but as you mention even toys etc. I mentioned earlier at how overseas you find lots of Marvel etc stuff but few DC and the only ones only about Bat and some(not much) Superman. One comic shop owner told me that they got demands for DC stuff (not Batman related) but the supply is either not available or take ages to arrive. By then customers lose interest.
    We can make an idea about this, following the Wonder Woman and Aquaman movies, which despite being a BO success, the merchandise was non existent especially for the later. They don't even try to milk the success the movies bring, how on earth can we expect they try something different in comics.

They have no idea what to do and as I mentioned previously not even the energy or will to try.
    If they promote other characters I am sure they could achieve better results. As things stand DC will soon be only about Batman and few other titles.
    Someone mentioned they are trying to lure Brazilian fandom etc, yeah but comics in Brazil arrive months after being published and not because of the pandemic. So the few efforts done are always half hearted attempts.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    I agree with you, anyhow it all comes down to lack of promoting, there is no attempt to promote any of their characters that is not batman. Its not just comics but as you mention even toys etc. I mentioned earlier at how overseas you find lots of Marvel etc stuff but few DC and the only ones only about Bat and some(not much) Superman. One comic shop owner told me that they got demands for DC stuff (not Batman related) but the supply is either not available or take ages to arrive. By then customers lose interest.
    We can make an idea about this, following the Wonder Woman and Aquaman movies, which despite being a BO success, the merchandise was non existent especially for the later. They don't even try to milk the success the movies bring, how on earth can we expect they try something different in comics.

They have no idea what to do and as I mentioned previously not even the energy or will to try.
    If they promote other characters I am sure they could achieve better results. As things stand DC will soon be only about Batman and few other titles.
    Someone mentioned they are trying to lure Brazilian fandom etc, yeah but comics in Brazil arrive months after being published and not because of the pandemic. So the few efforts done are always half hearted attempts.
    You are too hung up on toys. That is licensing and although DC/WB/ATT/Whoever can negotiate some terms or withhold licenses, ultimately Mattel or McFarlane or whoever has the license is going to make the final choice of which toys they want to make based on their view of the market. It is not like DC was not putting out great figures, I have a bunch from around the time of the Arrow and Flash being really popular and those figures were as good or better than the Legends. While I have not been toy hunting in the last couple of years, I can say for sure that finding DC figure lines similar to the Legends was easy enough unless you were shopping at a store that was exclusive or paid out by Hasbro/Disney, so I don't know if one shop having an issue ordering is indicative of anything. Also, my impression is that toy collectors will wait, or go elsewhere (which is what they probably did) (edited this as I misread the part about this)

Speaking of, just where do people who say they only promote Batman actually look for or see this promotiong. DCComics.com does not throw Batman in your face. Their Twitter feed is not all Batman, when they had a decent YouTube program it was not all Batman. The ads in their books are not all Batman. Snicker ads? Not all Batman.
    Last edited by cranger; 01-21-2021 at 02:43 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Speaking of, just where do people who say they only promote Batman actually look for or see this promotiong. DCComics.com does not throw Batman in your face. Their Twitter feed is not all Batman, when they had a decent YouTube program it was not all Batman. The ads in their books are not all Batman. Snicker ads? Not all Batman.
    The argument is that Batman gets the top talent, but haven't the most popular characters been the recipient of that on average since the beginning of comics?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Recently, I've gotten more into manga than superhero comics for a lot of reasons. It's not DC specifically but the big 2 superhero comics are losing appeal to me and I've become a little disillusioned with the books and stories with the constant retcons, changes, and loose continuity. I still love the characters and other media so I'm still around but I think the comic industry will need some kind of major shake up. We might be getting there soon

I've gotten more enjoyment from reading Attack on Titan the last two years than I remember getting from ongoing comic books. HoX and PoX were the exception to me since I loved them but the huge breadth of the X-Universe after that series finished has kinda slowed me down so I'll binge that later. In general, I'm just having more interest in singular stories told by one creative team from start to finish which is why AU tales like Superman Smashes the Klan appeal to me when the rest of mainline books them don't. That and limited tales that tell a full story (HoX and PoX ended on a promise of more but it was still a self-contained story) are the only superhero comics that hold my interest.

Batman has his own official twitter page. Kind of defeats the purpose of him being on the DC twitter page.

You're also comparing ads in comics to comic readers versus the general public. The main "Batman is the only one promoted" argument is mostly for things outside of comics. Games, movies, cartoons, toys, etc.

And even if you're looking at just the comics, look at how many Bat-related books there are versus everyone else. It's almost a 50/50 split at this point.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Batman has his own official twitter page. Kind of defeats the purpose of him being on the DC twitter page.
    Superman and Wonder Woman have their own official twitter accounts. So do most all of the shows, cartoons and movies. Not everyone is going to go looking for a specific account though and there is no reason the main DC account cannot do any promoting of Batman. The point is that the account promotes a lot of stuff and is not heavily Batman.

You're also comparing ads in comics to comic readers versus the general public. The main "Batman is the only one promoted" argument is mostly for things outside of comics. Games, movies, cartoons, toys, etc.
    I was not limiting my comparison to the comics, hence why I started off with the website and social media. I only mentioned the comics ads to be encompassing of the ways they promote, since I am curious just what channel is seemingly only promoting Batman comics. As for games, Injustice and similar games feature a variety of characters, and the Arkham games line has been popular but you can't magically replicate that. Other properties just have a hard time and you can't just flood the market with games, no one is doing that.

Movies should not even be mentioned here since Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Justice League, Suicide Squad, Teen Titans Go and Shazam as well the upcoming Flash and Black Adam movies (and I am sure more movies) are out there and are not a means to promote comics as we all know. They make people aware of the properties, although many could not even tell you the comics actually still get made or who even publishes them.

And even if you're looking at just the comics, look at how many Bat-related books there are versus everyone else. It's almost a 50/50 split at this point.
    Yes, we know the state we are in with the post Future State line-up which is partly why we are discussing this. But that is not promotion. Like some of the other things you mentioned, that is product offering and it is meeting demand. People want Batman and that is good. That is a success. The argument is the rest of the stuff, and anything else that comes out this year, needs promoting. But when I am looking at Future State and Infinite Frontier stuff, where it may pop up, I am not seeing just Batman. So if DC is having a problem promoting, it extends to Batman.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Recently, I've gotten more into manga than superhero comics for a lot of reasons. It's not DC specifically but the big 2 superhero comics are losing appeal to me and I've become a little disillusioned with the books and stories with the constant retcons, changes, and loose continuity. I still love the characters and other media so I'm still around but I think the comic industry will need some kind of major shake up. We might be getting there soon.....
    This sums up my current situation as well. In the past few years, I've dropped more and more Big Two comic books in favor of Manga. Most of these titles simply no longer hold my interest.

I can't help but conclude based upon the evidence that the North American Comic Book Industry, meaning the actual floppies, is circling the drain.
    Last edited by Celgress; 01-21-2021 at 04:42 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Recently, I've gotten more into manga than superhero comics for a lot of reasons. It's not DC specifically but the big 2 superhero comics are losing appeal to me and I've become a little disillusioned with the books and stories with the constant retcons, changes, and loose continuity. I still love the characters and other media so I'm still around but I think the comic industry will need some kind of major shake up. We might be getting there soon
    Likewise except I quickly started hating the "Dream-is-dead-mutant-supremist-immortal-pod-people" thing but all the rest of it?

Yeah Manga. I wonder is it because the stories have a beginning middle and an end; or perhaps the way the archetypical protagonist on his heroes journey isn't something they've grown tired of telling.

The little guy from demon slayer is relatable in a way damian wayne could never be to me. Idk. I'm glad there are other mediums to retreat into because our comics don't seem to be focused enough on
    great storytelling.

Great Story telling... consistently... is the only real way to become a force like they were, not crazy events with ever increasing stakes. Even then it'll be more difficult because people have more options... AND the art has to compete with manga style too. Damn.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    We are PAST that point. WAY past it.

SO while Batman sells-he like Sopranos, X-MEN, Friends, Games of Thrones and others leave a LOT of unsold stuff behind. That nobody wants and we have all seen it. A bin or clearance section filled with a "top" seller. How many of us have bought a grab bag of comics and it was nothing but Batman? I have paid $12 for 25 DC books and half of it was Batman-that totaled $30 based on the cover price.

Quantity control seems to be this demon that so many folks take issue with when we talk Batman. 50 Batman books might look good on a sale chart but how does that help Wonder Woman or Hawkman?

Like Cranger said go back a decade (or two) and DC was not worshipping Batman like this.

Waverider had events starring him. Books were not tossing Batman into every book to boost sales.

It just recently got out of control. Death Metal-yeah I see those figures in stores. COLLECTING DUST. Another issue DC has. Nobody wants their toys. That look HORRIBLE for the 5th straight Christmas walking down a toy isle and Marvel, TMNT, Power Rangers, WWE and most of Star Wars GONE and only DC stuff left-mainly Batman.

Other companies are not as they have their books in other places with a few exceptions.
    Look at Boom Studios-orders have gone up for some of their books. In terms of trades many of those books have not had an issue beating DC.

Why? Because they offer variety and have ZERO issues promoting them.
    I knew I heard the sound of a broken record playing in the distance...

Do you EVER post about anything except how many unsold Batman toys and comics there are? I think we get the point by now. You can save yourself the hassle and just copy and paste your post the next time we inevitably have a very similar thread like this in the next month or so.

And wtf about Friends, Sopranos and Game of Thrones? Those are largely just TV properties and don't have a ton of merchandise to leave behind unsold, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. There a bunch of Rachel and Joey action figures collecting dust at your local Wal-Mart or something? Lemme know if you find the Ross "we were on a break!" figure, I need it to complete my collection. If you mean their popularity has gone down, like GoT, that has more to do with the quality of season 8 than there being too much content.

DC doesn't use Batman too much imo, they just don't use the other characters as much as they should. But Batman's used about as often as any other character/franchise on his level of popularity. Marvel for, instance, use Spider-Man just as much as DC use Batman, maybe even more tbh.

In the last 20 years or so there have been just as many if not more Spider-Man cartoons, movies, comics and video games as there have been Batman one's. Is Marvel overdoing it with him? Why does he constantly get solo cartoons and games when the likes of Captain Marvel and Black Panther don't? Other Marvel heroes only appear in games and movies when it's under the Avengers or Marvel banner. Like the Avengers game and cartoons. At least DC heroes get their own solo live action shows, outside of movies characters like Ant-Man or Dr. Strange don't have much of a media presence.

At least DC characters get to have their own shows even if it they are on the CW, if Stargirl was a Marvel hero she definitely wouldn't get a solo show. She might appear in the MCU as an Avenger but not much solo stuff focused on her.

And there's just as much Spider-Man swag clogging shelves as the Batman stuff, I'm not trying to go after Spider-Man, he's one of my favorite characters ever, but let's not act like the way DC pushes Batman is in any way different or unique. Marvel doesn't promote it's characters as solo properties that much either. If you aren't Spider-Man you're pushed as part of a team you'll appear in Marvel vs Capcom games or Avengers cartoons instead of your own, unless your name is Peter Parker, his villains like Carnage and Venom get movies just like Batman's with Catwoman and Joker. If DC pushes Batman too much Marvel also pushes Spider-Man too much.
    Last edited by The True Detective; 01-22-2021 at 04:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    This is kinda backwards. Nobody is making a game like one from Arkham series to "promote" a character. They are expensive and have to sell a lot to even break even. Batman gets video games because a) People have an idea how to make a fun Batman game and b) Since Batman is popular then a good video game with him is likely to sell well. They could as well make a similar game where, lets say, Nightwing is the main character, but that is going to sell less so they are not going to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    I knew I heard the sound of a broken record playing in the distance...

Do you EVER post about anything except how many unsold Batman toys and comics there are? I think we get the point by now. You can save yourself the hassle and just copy and paste your post the next time we inevitably have a very similar thread like this in the next month or so.

And wtf about Friends, Sopranos and Game of Thrones? Those are largely just TV properties and don't have a ton of merchandise to leave behind unsold, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. There a bunch of Rachel and Joey action figures collecting dust at your local Wal-Mart or something? Lemme know if you find the Ross "we were on a break!" figure, I need it to complete my collection. If you mean their popularity has gone down, like GoT, that has more to do with the quality of season 8 than there being too much content.

DC doesn't use Batman too much imo, they just don't use the other characters as much as they should. But Batman's used about as often as any other character/franchise on his level of popularity. Marvel for, instance, use Spider-Man just as much as DC use Batman, maybe even more tbh.

In the last 20 years or so there have been just as many if not more Spider-Man cartoons, movies, comics and video games as there have been Batman one's. Is Marvel overdoing it with him? Why does he constantly get solo cartoons and games when the likes of Captain Marvel and Black Panther don't? Other Marvel heroes only appear in games and movies when it's under the Avengers or Marvel banner. Like the Avengers game and cartoons. At least DC heroes get their own solo live action shows, outside of movies characters like Ant-Man or Dr. Strange don't have much of a media presence.

At least DC characters get to have their own shows even if it they are on the CW, if Stargirl was a Marvel hero she definitely wouldn't get a solo show. She might appear in the MCU as an Avenger but not much solo stuff focused on her.

And there's just as much Spider-Man swag clogging shelves as the Batman stuff, I'm not trying to go after Spider-Man, he's one of my favorite characters ever, but let's not act like the way DC pushes Batman is in any way different or unique. Marvel doesn't promote it's characters as solo properties that much either. If you aren't Spider-Man you're pushed as part of a team you'll appear in Marvel vs Capcom games or Avengers cartoons instead of your own, unless your name is Peter Parker, his villains like Carnage and Venom get movies just like Batman's with Catwoman and Joker. If DC pushes Batman too much Marvel also pushes Spider-Man too much.
    *golf clap* amazing post!!!!

Just Yesterday on twitter they made a prime example of how DC promotes Batman and other characters.
    The prime example was about the difference between the (non)Batman wedding and the Aquawedding. While for the first DC promoted the event with all sorts of things from variants, ads, interviews, talk shows etc. While for Aquaman's wedding just an ad few days before the issue and thats that.
    Now a wedding in DC comics is rare and attracts attention even from fans that don't usually buy the specific title, even just as a collection issue.
    In the CCXP held last month, DC devolved most of their time guess about who? and the rest of the characters actually not all, had to divide between them the remaining time.