Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    What it seems to me it is than this Bendislegion killed any further interest in the Legion, at least in this forum. And now with Bendis in the Justice League we must wonder who will be the one in charge of give this reboot some relevance. Because I doubt than Bendis could be capable to manage two different teams with different members at the same time.
    So, who is the writer who could save something with this or at least give it a decent send off?
    Well, if the newt legion book is about the old versions, I'm out. I've zero interest in those, anyway.

I think there's a middle ground to be had, going back to the old way won't lead to anything but another cancelled book
    The series NEEDS fresh ideas.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    I know Waid’s Threeboot isn’t the most popular run, but I would easily take it over Bendis’ first 12 issues. Beautiful art in both series, but Waid’s is far more coherent, imo.
    Agreed. Threeboot wasn't the best Legion ever (and really, most of it could have been done with the previous Zero Hour Legion with very little tweaking), but it was readable (BendisLegion isn't IMHO). I especially liked it when Shooter and Manapul took it over, and was really frustrated with the rushed ending they got, just to clear the field for Geoff Johns's Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I think there's a middle ground to be had, going back to the old way won't lead to anything but another cancelled book
    The series NEEDS fresh ideas.
    How about a second generation Legion, set years in the future and featuring the children and sucessors of the original Legion? You could mix new characters with a few old ones, who would still be alive and/or active in some way. It would fit DC's old 90's Legacy Heroes theme.

Peace

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Agreed. Threeboot wasn't the best Legion ever (and really, most of it could have been done with the previous Zero Hour Legion with very little tweaking), but it was readable (BendisLegion isn't IMHO). I especially liked it when Shooter and Manapul took it over, and was really frustrated with the rushed ending they got, just to clear the field for Geoff Johns's Legion.

How about a second generation Legion, set years in the future and featuring the children and sucessors of the original Legion? You could mix new characters with a few old ones, who would still be alive and/or active in some way. It would fit DC's old 90's Legacy Heroes theme.

Peace
    a mix of old and new might work like the Johns JSA, some old timers (Alan and Jay) fighting alongs some currents (Mr. Terrific) and mentoring the next generation (Stargirl and Jakeem Thunder). That might work. I personally have no problem going back to the Retroboot they are the versions with the history. IMO the reason why all the reboots have failed is that they keep trying to remake the wheel instead of just using the wheel. Slapping the Legion name on an entire new cast of characters serves no purpose, if the characters are good they will survive on their own with their own name. If they aren't then it won't take long for the nostalgia fans to sower on someone damaging a favorite property. I would have less problems with Bendis' Benneton future super hero team if it was it's own thing (though I still probably wouldn't buy it), set 500 years before or after the Legion but re-imagining the Legion at least this poorly is not for me. You know what I like about Far Sector, it is a great Green Lantern story told by a fresh writer with a new perspective BUT it didn't wipe the other current versions of Green Lanterns from reality only to be replaced by this version. If Bendis' Legion was Legion the next generation I wouldn't have liked it but I wouldn't despise it either.
    Last edited by EmeraldGladiator; 01-21-2021 at 09:11 AM.

Make the Legion adults but actually change their names instead of being like Johns and too much of a fanboy to change them.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Well, if the newt legion book is about the old versions, I'm out. I've zero interest in those, anyway.
    I'm curious -- you seem to have zero interest in anything prior to you first reading DC Comics. You have the internet available to you to learn anything you might want or feel that you "need" to know; is it really too much effort/work to do so?
    Last edited by Timber Wolf-By-Night; 01-21-2021 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Sounds fair.
    If it's not the old versions, I'm out also.
    We'll cancel each other out.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Peace
    That would had been the best way in my opinion. This new reboot just confused thing even more.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Ultimate Member

I'd be fine with that. The old Legion have retired / gone into legend / vanished and their kids, legacies and some new characters carry on the team in their honor.

Preferably said kids would have abilities suggestive of their parents, but not simply copy them exactly, such as a daughter of Jo and Tinya being able to turn into 'ultra-energy' and be sort of a green Lazon / Monica Rambeau expy and not a Martian Manhunter wannabe who has both phasing and Superboy-like powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    I'm curious -- you seem to have zero interest in anything prior to you first reading DC Comics. You have the internet available to you to learn anything you might want or feel that you "need" to know; is it really too much effort/work to do so?
    Yes because I've zero interest in dated arts, stories and the like for which I have zero attachment. If I want to read books from the 50's/60's etc. I have all the B.D. from my parent's house to read, at least i love those characters I grew up with. And those stories have a beginning, a middle and an end, unlike comics.

Peace
    That's honestly not a bad, I could see myself reading that. It would give the old guard a chance to update their names.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Incredible Member

Yup, I'm on board with the "Legion: The Next Generation" idea. I think it could work for the old school Legion crowd, and appease the "It's history is too long and complicated" crowd. You basically open with a "Once upon a time, there was a group of hopeful, youthful heroes in the 31st century. Time moves on, they've grown up, started families, had children. And those children have picked up the torch".

You get a good mix of offspring, new characters, and a handful of the Old Guard as mentors and leaders in-story, and as "anchors" for the older Legion readers to be invested in. Me personally: Cosmic Boy, Chameleon Boy, Polar Boy (yeah, yeah, I know...), Violet, Element Lad, Brainy (obviously), Lightning Lass. I don't think you want to go more than 6 or 7 older character that would wash out newer characters. Guest appearances over the course of time by the other older Legionnaires. And yeah, you can give the "old guys" new code-names or just go by their "civilian names".

The plan is simple. Keep what makes the Legion, the Legion and update other concepts and characters to reflect modern storytelling. What's difficult is putting actual definition to these steps. So I'm going to throw my thoughts out here.

The Legion is a big group. It has dozens of characters and the focus can go from a relationship between two of them or a story involving everybody and their mother.

The Legion takes place in the future. It's usually pinpointed as being 1,000 years in the future, but that seems silly to me. Regardless, the technology, planetary set-ups, and races met should reflect a future setting. I've said 3247 would be the perfect year to use as it would allow progression without worrying about years passing and charcaters not aging that much. They also do NOT belong in the present as a regular thing. Sure, crossovers and occasional trips are great, but a 21st century Legion blends in too easily with other teams and loses its distinction.

The big red "S" is an issue which seems to be integral to the team, but there are differing thoughts on this. Now, I date myself as one of those folks who got into the Legion with Levitz/Giffen, but those days when if Kal and Kara showed up, it was BIG. This is negotiable to me and I'd be happy with it both ways. I suspect the addition of Jon in the latest run was meant to draw in Bendis' Superman fans and DC wants to sell books.

The personalities should be similar to what they've been in the past. The interaction between characters and who would react how to certain situations has been built up over the decades and should be consistent with explainable surprises. Bendis' Cosmic Boy was a cocky jock who bit off more than he could chew. This certainly was not the leader we've seen in old days when he was a very capable leader. But it was true to the characters and his background. Just a few years development earlier than we were used to seeing him.

I really want to see Quislet, Gates, and multiple non humanoid characters with unusual, non-human personalities. This is a comic book and there is no special effects budget, there is only the imagination of creators. I'd also like to see little connection to the 21 century. Imagine the Justice League constantly dealing with Robin Hood and his Merry Men and fighting the current Sheriff og Nottingham?

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I'd be fine with that. The old Legion have retired / gone into legend / vanished and their kids, legacies and some new characters carry on the team in their honor.

Preferably said kids would have abilities suggestive of their parents, but not simply copy them exactly, such as a daughter of Jo and Tinya being able to turn into 'ultra-energy' and be sort of a green Lazon / Monica Rambeau expy and not a Martian Manhunter wannabe who has both phasing and Superboy-like powers.
    Yeah, in my personal draft of the idea, we'd have Ayla Ardeen (Pulse), Telepathy and electricity generation. Driven, focused, though occasionally lets her fiery temper get the best of her, or D’ana Morgana (Inferno), illegitimate Daughter of Sun Boy. Half Tamarian. Chip on her shoulder, or Gen Arrah (Alchemist), the son of Element Lad. Needs physical contact for his powers to work. Can transmute own body. Calm, collected and highly spiritualized or Adrin Londo (Lone Wolf). Timber Wolf’s illegitimate kid. Enhanced physical abilities and senses on par with his old man, coupled with the training he received from his adoptive father, Sensei, Karate Kid’s master, make him a force to be reckoned with. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. As the name states, not a people person. Among many others. IMHO, this take would allow us to play a lot with nostalgia, paying homage to a lot of the past Legions' history, while allowing to chart a new path.

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    Yup, I'm on board with the "Legion: The Next Generation" idea. I think it could work for the old school Legion crowd, and appease the "It's history is too long and complicated" crowd. You basically open with a "Once upon a time, there was a group of hopeful, youthful heroes in the 31st century. Time moves on, they've grown up, started families, had children. And those children have picked up the torch".

You get a good mix of offspring, new characters, and a handful of the Old Guard as mentors and leaders in-story, and as "anchors" for the older Legion readers to be invested in. Me personally: Cosmic Boy, Chameleon Boy, Polar Boy (yeah, yeah, I know...), Violet, Element Lad, Brainy (obviously), Lightning Lass. I don't think you want to go more than 6 or 7 older character that would wash out newer characters. Guest appearances over the course of time by the other older Legionnaires. And yeah, you can give the "old guys" new code-names or just go by their "civilian names".
    Also in my personal draft I'd have Rokk Krinn, as the inheritor o the R.J. Brande fortune, and assisted by Nura Nal’s precog guidance, goes on to fund and form a new Legion of Super-Heroes. Among the new Legion’s allies and supporters are United Planets Councilor Queen Projectra, Mars Science Police Chief Jacques Foccart, galactic talk show celebrity super-star Tenzil Kem and UP Fleet Admiral Gim Allon. Universally renowned and wanted smuggler Jade Dragon, in reality former Legionnaire Jo “Ultra Boy” Nah, is also an unexpected and frequent ally.
    In the team itself, we'd have Querl Dox II (Brainiac 6), in reality the original Querl Dox (Brianiac 5) in a younger cloned body, after his original was basically destroyed during an experiment. Brash, arrogant, Lar Gand (Mon-El). Freed once again from his self-imposed exile in the Phantom Zone, following a long recovery on Daxam from wounds suffered at the hands of the FF. Though he’d rather have nothing to do with the Legion, Mon is a great inspiration for the new Legion, and some practically worship him. While a little given to bouts of melancholy, Mon-El is still the calm and self-assured man that used to inspire his teammates and Drake Boroughs (Wildfire). As an energy being, still alive after all these centuries. But is it really Wildfire? Brash, unpleasant.

Peace

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post

Instead of the umpteenth variation of the Great Darkness Saga that all pale in comparison, you could have an actual sequel with Graym leading the 2 generations of Legionnaires against Darkseid but will it be Garridan at his side or Validus at the side of Darkseid and who will Darkseid resurrect dark versions of in round two?