Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Default Preferred versions of Themyscira/Amazons

Throughout Wonder Womans many reboots we've gotten about 3 distinct versions of Themyscira and the Amazons.

The traditional Greecian Themyscira w/fairly peaceful Amazons

Very advanced Themyscira w/more high tech Amazons

More barbaric/stripped down Themyscira /Amazons

How do you like your Themyscira/Paradise Island and Amazons?
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 01-15-2021 at 09:54 PM.

Is there a third option? I definitely prefer the high tech Amazons, but I also think it would be cool if they had a bigger variety of cultures, because in my ideal conception Paradise Island would receive deserted women through the millenia, and embrace their own unique cultural additions along with technological knowledge. That said, i would love if there was a particular emphasis on a sort of Art Noveau, with all the floral patterns.

No particularly strong feelings on Themyscira's visual look or tech v. bronze age but the Amazons should generally portrayed as peaceful (or at least positive role models when it comes to Diana).

If I had to pick visual look probably Jimenez's, if only because floating islands are cool.

I like them all.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

The only depiction I did not like was Azzerellos barbaric tribe. If they had been a sect or other tribe, it would have been fine, but not as the main group.
    The floating islands were pretty cool though.

Recognizable Greek aesthetic but with advanced tech since they had thousands of years to tinker.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I'm an Ancient Greece enthusiast so I prefer purely Ancient Greece, but I get the argument of technological development. It's just that, if it's futuristic then it's not immediately recognizable.

You put that second pic anywhere else and I thought it'd be Star Wars comic or something.

So I'm okay that they have tech, but there needs to be an acropolis, temples and statues there

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I'm an Ancient Greece enthusiast so I prefer purely Ancient Greece, but I get the argument of technological development. It's just that, if it's futuristic then it's not immediately recognizable.

You put that second pic anywhere else and I thought it'd be Star Wars comic or something.

So I'm okay that they have tech, but there needs to be an acropolis, temples and statues there
    Why tho? The amazons of ancient myth weren't greek. They were a strange and foreign society. Most likely supposed to be from Turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Why tho? The amazons of ancient myth weren't greek. They were a strange and foreign society. Most likely supposed to be from Turkey.
    Because the DC Amazons are not the Amazons of Myth. The idea of the Amazons was the basis of inspiration for DCs Amazons. And traditionally, there has been a Greek influence on the architecture and design of the DC Amazons....plus the DC Amazons worship the Greek Gods, so it just makes sense.

the degree of it has varied over the years, but to stray too far and you might as well create a whole different society.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Advanced technology with a recognizably Greek aesthetic.

Ideally a combo of Jimenez's and Paquette's.

I prefer the more pre-Crisis takes of a technologically advanced society, one whose classic Greek mythological ties aren't so identical, rather inspired by but its own interpretation.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Tech, like MCU Asgard

Astonishing Member

A mix of everything to be honest.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Tech, like MCU Asgard
    I never really liked Sci-fi world Asgard undermining the myth and magic of the setting.

Even if WW goes sci-fi, I don't want that fate for them.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I think WW: E1 has the best of both worlds when it comes to Paradise Island. It is still very Greecian while showing an advanced civilization.