Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

For me, it really depends....

If the amazons were as all as powerful as Diana in terms of speed, strength, extended senses, jumping ability and flight (with special eagle armor for each Amazon), then I want PI to be an ancient put powerful civilization that is isolated and rarely interacts with the outside world. I want PI to be in another dimension that is obviously not accessible just to anybody - still protected by chaotic in turbulent weather like in Perez's run, and once you get there, PI is still protected by a mystical spell through the combined powers of the Olympian Gods (regardless if they are around or not) that no alien/modern technological projectiles/energy fire can destroy the forests surrounding PI and its architecture. Invaders can fire their weapons yes and harm the inhabitants, but not the environment (hence, making PI a prized location conquered by evil beings with armies. The amazons can also only fly if they have their eagle armor on that is made from Amazonium, This metal is a unique, magical metal that can only be manipulated by the amazons by mind control, and each of them carries two (which will be their bracelets) and their tiaras In battle, they transform these metals into a armor, and any weapon for their choice. If transformed into a bow, it can fire eldritch bolts. Lastly, the amazons also have bred and tamed many of the creatures of myth in Greek mythology for land, water and air travel for added convenience and as aids for battle; each of these creatures are unique; some are more immortal than others; can regenerate parts like hydras, etc. Also, Amazons can venture out of PI too long or they lose their immortality and start aging. This way, PI is formidable, yet ancient, and can't be used easily as cannon fodders of the DCU, plus there won't be dozens of WW running around outside PI.

However, if they are just perhaps just half the strength of WW, and can't fly. Then yes, I would like them to develop alien/magical tech all based on Amazonium, with a modern city on the shores surrounding PI, but in the core of the city is the ancient city of Themysicira, still protected by a powerful indestructible spell, wherein the amazons use the for ancient rituals and social gatherings.

I like the first one better; much more grand looking, unique, and formidale and make up for better interesting battles with high tech villains.

I mean it's a really interesting take, but I don't see why the first example can't ecost within a highly technologically advanced society. They could have automation that looks like sculptures, they could use their lassos as a form of communication and instead of computers, connect themselves to each other through a network of magic lassos (in my version the lasso is more about mind melding than it is about mental manipulation).
    They could have advanced ships that act like carriages connected to those beasts. They could have a lot of biopunk things.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I mean it's a really interesting take, but I don't see why the first example can't ecost within a highly technologically advanced society. They could have automation that looks like sculptures, they could use their lassos as a form of communication and instead of computers, connect themselves to each other through a network of magic lassos (in my version the lasso is more about mind melding than it is about mental manipulation).
    They could have advanced ships that act like carriages connected to those beasts. They could have a lot of biopunk things.
    I did think that, but I think that would make them just way too powerful, and knowing how DC makes a mess of the amazons (and WW), things may get too convoluted. If it will be done...I can live with combining both but won't every amazon as powerful as WW (but equally skilled still); just half, so the amazons don't become the GL of DCU, but more like highly elite reserves, if so. Sort of the Wakanda of the DCU...mixed with a bit of Perez's original amazons.

Oh yeah I definitely don't think the amazons should be as strong as Diana

Extraordinary Member

Golden Age highly advanced Amazons. Though ideally they'd be modernized
    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I never really liked Sci-fi world Asgard undermining the myth and magic of the setting.

Even if WW goes sci-fi, I don't want that fate for them.
    You see, that's actually the opposite of what's happening to Diana. The increased emphasis of Myth and Magic are undermining the core of the series, which is supposed to be about the future.

YES, that's such a good point. Most people here seem to love every time a writer connects the story further into the greek mythology, but the whole point of the amazons is that they are a fantasy or a liberated society of women. It's this fantastical notion of what women could've accomplished if they were uninhibited by an oppressive society.

Nowadays a lot of the things that fuelled the "feminist" speech that Marston wrote are less relevant. We even see incresingly more representation in Industries and diversity, nuance and respect in the portrayal of women all over culture, but even if absolutely everything was out of the way, there's still something the Amazons can offer that should be desired by feminism, which is a world without our history.

Themyscira is a place where women don't have to be feminists or struggle with how to affirm or not affirm their femininity based on the progression of feminism, they are just people, the only people. And if it's an intelectually regressive society than it becomes a sort of less desirable fantasy. I mean, themyscira should not be perfect. There is something defective at it's core, but it should still be a futuristic fantasy

My preferred take would be that the Amazons are powerful by themselves; strength, speed and invulnerability. Diana is just several magnitudes stronger than the average Amazon.

I can imagine the average Amazon being able to lift a boulder but Diana is able to move mountains.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    My preferred take would be that the Amazons are powerful by themselves; strength, speed and invulnerability. Diana is just several magnitudes stronger than the average Amazon.

I can imagine the average Amazon being able to lift a boulder but Diana is able to move mountains.
    Problem is one couldn't support a mountain on a pair of human sized hands even with the required strength. First you would have to get under the mountain, which would require burrowing a tunnel underneath it, and once you were under its center of mass, if you tried lifting it, you would bore a tunnel through it and out the top, assuming the character could fly.

The problem with lifting enormous objects is they cannot be supported on tiny points of force. You couldn't lift a building either, it would crumble around you. A car is possible if you got under its under carrage.

WTF are you talking about? What does it matter? He was just comparing their strength.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think Diana should be any different from the other amazons by nature. Her advantages should be things she earned through hardwork during her lifetime

Same, I always saw it was the average Amazons is around Captain America

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I don't mind the Amazons having developed tech, Rucka's run had some sci-fi stuff going on without sacrificing the ancient aesthetic.

But - and this is the sociological Marxist nerd in me - if the Amazons are going to have tools of science (rather than magic), then they're going to need industrial production. Unless they occasionally borrowed innovations from Man's World, in order to get that, they would have needed to develop capitalism and a class system. Which just doesn't jive with the communal structure that seems to reign on Themyscira, or with their isolation from the global market.

Magic is the key shortcut here. If Hephaestus blesses their craftswomen every year (or decade, or century) with the short-term ability to make some incredible invention, that would be cool.

Actually, I think Themyscira totally should be this lost and found dimension, where women arrive from time to time as well as planes, cars, ships, and everything they carry inside. And the amazons have a talent at reverse engineering and this along with the unique ecosystem and magical elements of the island allowed them to create a completely alternate set of technologies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I don't mind the Amazons having developed tech, Rucka's run had some sci-fi stuff going on without sacrificing the ancient aesthetic.

But - and this is the sociological Marxist nerd in me - if the Amazons are going to have tools of science (rather than magic), then they're going to need industrial production. Unless they occasionally borrowed innovations from Man's World, in order to get that, they would have needed to develop capitalism and a class system. Which just doesn't jive with the communal structure that seems to reign on Themyscira, or with their isolation from the global market.

Magic is the key shortcut here. If Hephaestus blesses their craftswomen every year (or decade, or century) with the short-term ability to make some incredible invention, that would be cool.
    You don't need capitalism to foster innovation.

You could just as easily say that their technological advancements are motivated by compassion. When they see one of there own suffering, they are motivated to help them just as they would if their own family members were suffering. Think of the lengths a parent would go to in order to protect their child. Amazons will be similarly motivated to help every other amazon. That's more than enough to motivate technological growth.

The Amazons are supposed to be an example of what humanity could be. In order to be that, the source of their success has to be something that other people can replicate. It can't be the gods.

Capitalism is not necessary. The Amazons could have developed technology out of necessity and curiosity. They could have also gone to Man's World, maybe saw the radio, came back and developed something that was far more advanced than anything on Mans World at the time.
    Last edited by John Venus; 01-21-2021 at 03:32 AM.