View Poll Results: What grade would you give this issue?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 out of 5 [A+/A]

21 34.43%
  • 4 out of 5 [A-/B+]

25 40.98%
  • 3 out of 5 [B/B-/C+/C]

10 16.39%
  • 2 out of 5 [C-/D+]

2 3.28%
  • 1 out of 5 [D/D-/F]

3 4.92%
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

REVIEW: Storm #2 [SPOILERS]

STORM #2

writer. Greg Pak
    artist. Victor Ibanez

"I'm the Windrider. I could go anywhere. Do anything. But tonight... I don't particularly feel like flying."

~ cover: a solid image of Storm in the tunnels, with Callisto coming up behind her. It gives you just enough to entice, yet not so much that the story is revealed. A little too cleavage heavy, though [grade: B]
    spoilers:
    BRIEF SYNOPSIS: after an unsatisfying date with Wolverine [James 'Logan' Howlett], Storm [Queen Ororo Monroe] comes across a flyer for a missing girl, and something about the child speaks to Ororo. With the aid of Beast [Dr. Hank McCoy], Storm tracks the girl's cellphone to the sewers, into a confrontation with Callisto... but all is not what it appears. Callisto is actually sheltering these runaways (who came to her of their own free will). Storm accepts that she was too quick to think the worst, and provides aid to them in the sewers, as well as punish those that forced them onto the streets in the first place.
    end of spoilers

LOVED
    1. Beast is still Ororo's doormat (canon quote from Henry!!!!)
    2. that Pak continued the canon of Storm managing to control her claustrophobia
    3. Storm intentionally laying a trap for Callisto
    4. Storm vs. Callisto. VERY cool, and the fact Storm could beat her at any moment (but other factors prevented it) was a nice touch.
    5. STORM: Stupid. I make lightning. You think it can hurt me?
    6. the epic BAD ASS image of Storm calmly walking through a doorway she blew apart with her powers.
    7. Storm apologising. She's not egotistical enough to admit she's wrong, or think she always knows best.
    8. how Storm and Callisto "leave it" at the end. A good development.

LIKED
    1. Storm making it rain outside in annoyance to the bartender. I love my Storm giving into her emotions when it doesn't matter.
    2. Storm pulling Logan back in for a second kiss then casting him aside. She wears the pants in the relationship.
    3. Greg Pak's New York is very multi-racial/ethnic. So nice at-least one writer at Marvel knows this.
    4. "Huh. Comicon again."
    5. name checking Kurt.

DISLIKED
    1. Wolverine. Ugh... can't wait for that ugly little troll to die.

OVERALL
    Another beautiful issue; which is driven by flawless characterisation by Greg Pak. It's not a ground-breaking issue, and it's a little of a quick read BUT it's magnificently put together. Storm is fallible, and she can be humble and remorseful. And for new readers its an excellent "summary" of two major parts of her life with the X-men and before. An excellent follow-on from the first issue, which hopefully will be creating many new fans.
    ~ rating: 4 out of 5 [grade: A-]
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 08-20-2014 at 09:01 AM.

BANNED

Why were Storm and Callisto acting like the last time they interacted was in Uncanny #170?

I loved this issue even more than the first one. This is really the sort of thing I've been missing in the larger X-Men world -- these sorts of personal beats. The story itself isn't earth-shattering or some big sci-fi/supervillain adventure, but it's one that has an emotional resonance to it and is perfectly in line with Storm's character.

Pak is killing it, so far. This one and the Crawler solo are becoming my two favorite X-books.

Reposting my comments from the Storm Appreciation thread, but loved Issue Two even more than the first issue. Nothing grand; but a good story and great characterization. I also connected with her inner dialogue. It "felt" and sounded like Storm. I think Pak has done a very good job of integrating all the different roles Storm has played, while keeping the core of her character intact. She is not a perfect, goddess beyond approach or humility. She owns her past and her flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBat View Post
    Why were Storm and Callisto acting like the last time they interacted was in Uncanny #170?
    How so???

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    This is really the sort of thing I've been missing in the larger X-Men world -- these sorts of personal beats. The story itself isn't earth-shattering or some big sci-fi/supervillain adventure, but it's one that has an emotional resonance to it and is perfectly in line with Storm's character.
    I disagree that other comics lack it, but I do agree the character beats is making this comic brilliant. And you're 100% right, it does resonate emotion (beautifully put, by the way).

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    Pak is killing it, so far. This one and the Crawler solo are becoming my two favorite X-books.
    Crawler?

I loved it. However, I gave it 4 ot of 5. The only thing I didn't like was lacj of a greater idea behind what she's doing, I mean is there a direction in which the book is going? I still don't know what to expect in the future and this worries me a little. Besides that, everything was near perfect. Pak gets Storm so well.It feels, sounds and looks like her. I love the inner dialogue, she shows her own fears, emotions, admits to her own flaws. The story is a bit random but develops quickly. The book reads very fast and well. I like the art, there is a lot of detail, the city, Ororo, different characters. There are moments that I don't like the way Storm looks, but overall it's pretty good. There is a lot of revisiting the past. It might be good to get new readers more interested in her and show some of her past to them. For long time readers, on the other hand, it might be a bit of a drag, we could see more of "new" Storm. All in all, another great book, I think it's as good as #1. I hope the book will gain readers with this issue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    How so???
    "If you've hurt those children, Callisto, I swear I'll--"
    "--kill me? You tried that last time, princess. Think I wouldn't be prepared for a rematch?"

And they act like they're still enemies here, when they used to be on better terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Crawler?
    Sorry, Nightcrawler solo, written by Claremont. He and Pak are really writing some good stuff, imo.

BANNED

When did Storm sellout and give up her vegetarianism? A burger? Really, Storm?

Since when was Storm specifically stated to be a vegeterian? I could swear there was an issue of Storm and Rachel having a burger together before, and her also eating a huge piece of chicken when Thor brought Stormcaster to her in Guggenheim's story a few years back.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WINDRIDER View Post
    Since when was Storm specifically stated to be a vegeterian? I could swear there was an issue of Storm and Rachel having a burger together before, and her also eating a huge piece of chicken when Thor brought Stormcaster to her in Guggenheim's story a few years back.
    Rachel had that burger by herself. Lifedeath explicitly stated it. I guess she sold out in the chicken issue.

Quote Originally Posted by IdaqiBeauty View Post
    Is it cannon or just assumed that Storm was/is a vegetarian?

BANNED

It is canon.

It was a black beans burger obviously.

Rachel had that burger by herself. Lifedeath explicitly stated it. I guess she sold out in the chicken issue.
    Lol and I think there was another issue as well where Storm (powerless at the time) caught a fish for them to eat.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.