Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Amazing Spider-Man #56 (Spoilers)

ASM #56 is... well, bad. When 3 pages are spent on Overdrive asking Carlie Cooper out for coffee (two characters no one cares about), you know Spencer is just turning his wheels. No OMD references. Norman was faking being bad and the “grenade” he threw at MJ was a flash grenade... so she was never wounded, but just played along with the evil mastermind (who killed her college friend, unborn baby, and generally tormented her over the years, lest we forget). GOOD Norman acts really, really lame. And Harry is encased in some of Spot’s dark energy... I dunno. It’s not a good issue. It’s an extreme letdown is all I can say. Not even a spot (no pun intended) of OMD resolution or even resolution on WHAT this “Harry” is after all that build up. I haven’t felt this disappointed in a book since Slott made Ben Reilly turn evil during ‘Clone Conspiracy.’ Bagley’s art is actually improved over past issues though, so that’s good I guess.

Grade: D-

What do others think?
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 01-06-2021 at 01:32 AM.

Incredible Member

Not to worry - answers are coming. And soon. Keep reading!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    ASM #56 is... well, bad. When 3 pages are spent on Overdrive asking Carlie Cooper out for coffee (two characters no one cares about), you know Spencer is just turning his wheels. No OMD references. Norman was faking being bad and the “grenade” he threw at MJ was a flash grenade... so she was never wounded, but just played along with the evil mastermind (who killed her college friend, unborn baby, and generally tormented her over the years, lest we forget). GOOD Norman acts really, really lame. And Harry is encased in some of Spot’s dark energy... I dunno. It’s not a good issue. It’s an extreme letdown is all I can say. Not even a spot (no pun intended) of OMD resolution or even resolution on WHAT this “Harry” is after all that build up. I haven’t felt this disappointed in a book since Slott made Ben Reilly turn evil during ‘Clone Conspiracy.’ Bagley’s art is actually improved over past issues though, so that’s good I guess.

What do others think?
    Hey now, I like Overdrive and Carlie (Especially Overdrive, the loveable goof)

Astonishing Member

What do others think?
    Oh, man. That bad? Damn.

All-New Member

What do others think?
    MJ siding with Norman makes sense, since they both went to that therapist in a previous issue and it was said that Norman has really changed. So if he’s going to help out on saving Peter and the order of the web from an actual demon, I don’t see why she should decline the help and allow them all to get killed over grudge against Norman.

We’ll likely get that resolution on a future arc, since Last Remains is supposed to be the start of this OMD ribbon unwinding.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

The issue confirmed what many were suspecting that Norman's deal with Fisk was just an act (at least to some degree). Norman plays the Goblin a little to well for me to believe he's completely gone. Anyway, I was surprised to see that the issue primarily focused on Norman nor was I expecting Kindred to be taken off the board through self-imposed isolation.

If it wasn't obvious before, the whole "remember" bit of Kindred's shtick is a pretty important aspect of Harry's endgame.

Overall I did enjoy the issue. It's clear that Peter and Norman uncovering (and undoing?) what it was that created Kindred in the first place will be the next big overarching story. Last Remains still needs proper closure and while I don't mind all the set-up, I hope Spencer didn't lose focus on that once focus shifts back to Peter next issue.

Both the Overdrive/Cooper thing and the Sins freed/returned things seems like set up for stuff later down the line. Same with Martin Li but we already know when that's getting addressed.

Well, we can finally say that Mary Jane has met all of the Spider-People of Earth-616. By memory I know she was seen with Jessica in two panels during Spider-Island, with The Thing making a Spider-Woman joke about MJ in front of Jess. MJ met Miles during the mess with Regent. This is the first MJ has met Cindy, Anya, Julia, and Spider-Gwen.

I liked how Mary Jane knew she couldn't talk Peter out staying behind with Norman and Harry and that kiss was sweet. There was also the scene with Norman as the Green Goblin told Peter to put his mask on and hide. That was...interesting, especially with Gobby's expression.

Well, I was right about Harry wanting to torment Peter differently this time by going after The order of the Web. He officially says it in this issue that if he would have gone after MJ, Aunt May, etc... Peter would have turned it into another heroic moment.

Fantastic Member

Norman was faking being bad and the “grenade” he threw at MJ was a flash grenade... so she was never wounded, but just played along with the evil mastermind
    hahaha! Called it! I'm so proud of myself!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    hahaha! Called it! I'm so proud of myself!
    Now we can look forward to a back to basics sl where Osborn becomes evil again.

BANNED

The issue was pretty good in my view. It's a case of "something not what you expected or wanted but is good on its own terms".

Norman/Goblin is a fascinating piece of work or fascinating work of piece.

Still this issue played as a wrap-up and epilogue to "Sins' Rising" rather than "Last Remains" itself.

Norman is too good of an actor. Peter costume was drawn wrong in the last page forgot the red in the middle. Overall does this issue confirms OMD no not at all. Do I care? No not really.
    Last edited by Jman27; 01-06-2021 at 06:10 AM.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

CBR Community Standards & Rules

NO REVIEW/SPOILER THREADS OF NEW COMIC RELEASES BEFORE 9AM EST

Threads to discuss newly-released comics may be created at 9:00 AM Eastern on the day the issues are officially released in the United States (typically Wednesday).
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

What do others think?
    It's amazing how polarizing this book has become. I read a review this morning of the issue that gave it a 9.3/10 and it looked great!

PS. if we are now rating books "good" or "bad" based on if there are references to OMD in them, I expect a lot of "bad" issues between now and issue 900 or so, LOL

for the spoilers I read, there were a few unexpected twists in this issue that I actually liked (good norman working with MJ) I actually am glad that is continuing so that is exciting to hear
    Last edited by Vortex85; 01-06-2021 at 08:16 AM.

Spectacular Member

Default Amazing Spider-Man #56 (Spoilers) - (I think the other thread got deleted)

Okay guys and gals...can we just admit that, regardless of what you've thought of Spencer's run so far, this story arc has been a clunker?

Now all of a sudden we are given an entire issue devoted to redeeming Norman Osborn? Who wants that? Some characters are fun to have straddle the line between good and evil - and redemption stories always work well when executed competently - but no one was asking for Norman Osborn to turn good.

And yes, I know it won't last, and it's just for this story and blah blah blah. I just don't think it works as a story beat.

The rest of the issue is fine. Set-up for some future little story lines.

And I think Bagley's art looked really good this issue.

But man, what a precipitous fall from Sins Rising to Last Remains. This is just...not good.

So what will MJ and Peter talk in issue 60??