Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Most Powerful Anti-Magic Weapon

Often times to even up the odds, a mortal or low-level power hero will get a weapon that can deflect or disrupt magic. Something along the lines of Samurai Jack's sword or Hawkgirl's mace on the Justice League cartoon. What's the ultimate weapon in all of fiction used by a non-god-like character that is the best against magical attacks?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Often times to even up the odds, a mortal or low-level power hero will get a weapon that can deflect or disrupt magic. Something along the lines of Samurai Jack's sword or Hawkgirl's mace on the Justice League cartoon. What's the ultimate weapon in all of fiction used by a non-god-like character that is the best against magical attacks?
    In Marvel Comics, human Zelma Stanton used the Sands of Nishanti in order to magically depower for 3 minutes Doctor Strange (who at the time was some dimension-transmutating God of Magic empowered by Yggdrasil) and Loki, so that they could only fight with their human and Frost Giant physiologies in the meantime.

BANNED

Spellfire.

It turns the user into a magic convertor. Magic in one end, weaponized or not, spellfire out the other end, definitely weaponized. You can use Potterverse Unforgivable Curses on a Spellfire user all day long, and all you'll do is make them stronger and stronger.

Think of it this way, an untrained servant girl(Shandril Shessair) became worthy of Elminster's attention when her Spellfire abilities manifested. She then proceeded to massacre her way across three whole books before her mental instability caused her to take herself out. But even then, she isn't dead.

The moment you use Spellfire from this point on, you run the risk of Shandril's return.

The biggest problem with these guys is that they seem to be the Chosen Of Mystra, an actual Goddess. Why Shandril can return is because Mystra put her back together as what amounts to a bloody Spellfire Elemental. So she can't be killed after her first death, and I think you might need something like the Absolute Zero cannon to temporarily stop her, or the LHW's or Giga Slave to put her down for good.
    Last edited by T51R; 01-16-2021 at 10:20 PM.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

It's somewhat inconsistent in its portrayal, but A Certain Magical Index's Touma Kamijou's Imagine Breaker has at its high end (well, from a couple of years back, anyway) let him deflect attacks from a God of Magic that was repeatedly destroying and recreating the universe in an attempt to break his will. And I think he also deflected the backwash from an attack from the actual (?) Hindu God Vishnu.

Not to mention that said anti-magic functionality (along with his ability to regenerate his right arm) is possibly just a side effect from its true nature as a seal for the invisible thing that resides in his right arm, which is allegedly even stronger than (the presumably Christian) God. Unless it is actually the physical embodiment of the subconscious wish of all magic users to have some sort of ultimate undo button in case they ever do something unforgivable, as theorized by that guy who was a candidate to become a Magic God himself.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 01-18-2021 at 01:09 AM.

The Darksword from the series by Weis and Hickman. All spells would simply be absorbed by the blade. I want to say if you stabbed a magical creature it would revert to non magic but it has been awhile since I reads the series.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

The Ebony Blade carried by Dane Whitman in 616 was pretty potent - it could absorb, deflect and cut magic just like it did any energy.

Even stronger, I'd go with the Adjunct's Otataral sword in Malazan. Otataral is a metal found in the Earth on one island, and just the presence of it creates a radius that completely halts all warren-based magic (that's everything used by mortals, and most of what it used by gods in the series - only the stuff slung by a few characters in the series is resistant to Otataral).
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Magik's Soulsword counters and breaks all spells and enchantments, and gets more powerful with every use.

Astonishing Member

Surprised nobody mentioned Asta's swords from Black Clover.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

From the Guardians of the Flame series there was a sword that was made to kill the strongest wizard in the world. It stopped all magic spells a few feet away from you, BUT allowed Potions and other magical items to get through. Which being that it was a D&D inspired world meant you could still magically heal yourself, WHILE you beat a Wizard to death with an antimagic sword. Best of both worlds!
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Valkyrie (Brunhilde)'s magic sword Dragonfang could slice through anything including magic.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Magik's Soulsword counters and breaks all spells and enchantments, and gets more powerful with every use.
    She's not really a "mortal or low-power hero" however. She's the demon queen of a whole dimension, and that's there the sword comes from - that connection and role.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Fantastic Member

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Asuna from Negima is literally a humanoid anti-magic weapon capable of nullifying all forms of magic in her presence up to, I think, a planetary level?

She's pretty up there. Her ability can also manifest as a sword so it fits the brief.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    From what I heard, right after he said that didn't he get wrecked by the wizard when then knife failed to cramp his style at all?
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    Someone has been studying with a former Jhereg assassin.

Spellbreaker was for sure a good example.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate