Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Question MY fears of the old CBR returning...what can be done to ensure it wont happen again?

After lamenting the loss of old CBR and finding Nu CBR an even better place for chatting. I do feel for those who miss their old hangouts. My problem being it was on and off "THEIR" old hangouts and not "OUR" old hangouts. Having tried multiple times to join but being ignored, sometimes textually bullied out. I in turn went troll to voice my dissatisfaction. Fighting fire with fire so to speak..but all it did was make me bitter, paranoid--I literally thought most posters were out to get me..because my friendly posts were ignored. the only response i could get at times were snarky retorts, debates and flat out name calling.

Not saying everyone engaged in flame wars or mental jousting or that i was entirely innocent.

The forum became increasingly NEGATIVE..as posters had to defend characters or books they enjoyed while others did not. Now some of the regulars would say it was the new peoples fault or those who overstep their bounds--but that at times that was biased opinion because what was really being said was " if you leave us alone to our groups there will be peace" a Phyrric victory for isolation.

There is a question at the end so this isn't entirely editorializing. The question I pose is this-->how can we ensure the unchecked negative occurrences wont return--as posters, as mods, etc?

Couple of things -

While I can understand not wanting decent posts to be ignored, you can't control what interests other folks(folks who want to "troll", in particular).

If what you're doing is bumming you out, why do it?

You cannot control if someone else is out to be negative. You can control how you react to that negativity.

Also -

It's not like the old CBR forums was Escape From New York. For the most part, it seemed like a very friendly board to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Couple of things -

While I can understand not wanting decent posts to be ignored, you can't control what interests other folks(folks who want to "troll", in particular).

If what you're doing is bumming you out, why do it?

You cannot control if someone else is out to be negative. You can control how you react to that negativity.
    Isnt it more important to stop the negativity..like say someone says comics featuring women as leads is a stupid idea. or women comic creators are called unskilled and another person likes a particular title..say Captain Marvel or Ms. Marvel and they want to chat about it..and enjoy off-topic communication. but those in the off-topic thread constant ignore said posters..making them feel unwelcome... Thats not fair.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Also -

It's not like the old CBR forums was Escape From New York. For the most part, it seemed like a very friendly board to me.
    And to those that were bullied out, textually threatened or made unwelcome..tough hunh??

why does it have to be..I didn't get that so..forget those who have experienced that.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Isnt it more important to stop the negativity..like say someone says comics featuring women as leads is a stupid idea. or women comic creators are called unskilled and another person likes a particular title..say Captain Marvel or Ms. Marvel and they want to chat about it..and enjoy off-topic communication. but those in the off-topic thread constant ignore said posters..making them feel unwelcome... Thats not fair.
    What if they don't like Captain Marvel or Ms. Marvel? I don't really wanna talk about comics I don't like.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Star-Lord View Post
    What if they don't like Captain Marvel or Ms. Marvel? I don't really wanna talk about comics I don't like.
    But often the choice of comics or characters you like determine if posters will talk to you at at all--I mean about other things... that was part of the problem.

You like such and such..I hate you. No conversation whatsoever. Not even about the weather.

But you (general "you" not you specifically) can't really control someone's opinion like that especially if it's in an off-topic chat thread. If someone chooses to engage in a certain topic with another person then that's great but otherwise people can't be forced to interact with each other either if they don't want to.

BANNED

Well that's definitely true of the BP thread, but it wasn't so in the X-boards.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gregyo View Post
    Well that's definitely true of the BP thread, but it wasn't so in the X-boards.
    There was this Asian young lady she even won X-poster of the month that was bullied out that would disagree.

But often the choice of comics or characters you like determine if posters will talk to you at at all--I mean about other things... that was part of the problem.

You like such and such..I hate you. No conversation whatsoever. Not even about the weather.
    Yeah I suppose but that's just how things are and always will be. It's bloody murder trying to find someone to talk to me about some series but I don't think people are nasty because of it. I just talk to them about series that we both like and we get along fine.

BANNED

There was this Asian young lady she even won X-poster of the month that was bullied out that would disagree.
    Who? The only people I saw get bullied out were ones who made sexist or homophobic comments.

Re member

Quote Originally Posted by Star-Lord View Post
    They should avoid threads and conversations about characters they don't like and spend their time and energy talking about the things they like rather than telling other people they're wrong for liking things they don't.

Wait, what do you mean by "textually threatened" ???

Quote Originally Posted by Iopy View Post
    They should avoid threads and conversations about characters they don't like and spend their time and energy talking about the things they like rather than telling other people they're wrong for liking things they don't.
    How can you be wrong for liking a comic?