Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Actually it was CBR managements.

Im just voicing my approval.

Also there must have been evidence to dictate the action..its not like CBR mods, admins wanted the headache of a reboot.
    It seems to me like the wipe/new board was about a very specific example. I could be mistaken.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    It seems to me like the wipe/new board was about a very specific example. I could be mistaken.
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=52513

There has been a negativity and nastiness that has existed on the CBR forums for too long. Two weeks ago, that long-growing ugliness became more pronounced than ever. CBR published an article by guest contributor Janelle Asselin, critiquing the cover to DC Comics' upcoming "Teen Titans" #1. Some of you liked the article, some of you didn't. We encouraged readers to share their feedback in the CBR Forums.

f you're one of the people who participated in any of these reprehensible acts, my message is simple: You are not welcome anywhere on CBR, and in our opinion, you have no place in the comics industry.

But you know what? I'm responsible, too.

I failed to do all I can to make the CBR Forums a safer and better place by adequately dealing with this behavior. And while we employ an army of volunteer moderators, the thread was not properly moderated.

To be clear: this is about more than just this one thread. While there are many examples of good conversation among great members on our old forums, hateful and ugly comments were allowed to be posted in the interest of "free speech," which made the forums a place that wasn't accepting or inviting. I'm ashamed to say, I didn't take enough notice of what was happening.

That failure falls on me. And I apologize.

Spectacular Member Lycaon pictus's Avatar

Did you witness any comic book bullying in so far as seeing groups of people tease an individuals tastes in a comic and later ostracizing that poster. I don't mean a tease or two but full on putdowns?
    I did see that. Usually not of a single poster, but a group who liked a single character or something.

I agree that it's bad. There was a rule that you weren't allowed to talk about other posters, just characters, but I did see instances where that rule was circumvented and people bullied posters who liked a character by mocking the character. It was usually easy to tell that behavior from posters just not liking Character A too.

How would you stop it?

While I read the second part, I'm not sure a "wipe" would have happened without the over-the-top nonsense of the specific example at the start.

The second part also mentions "many example of good conversation among great members". It seems like a "these things need to come to an end" in the old forum might have been the approach if not for the Teen Titans #1 article happening.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post
    I did see that. Usually not of a single poster, but a group who liked a single character or something.

I agree that it's bad. There was a rule that you weren't allowed to talk about other posters, just characters, but I did see instances where that rule was circumvented and people bullied posters who liked a character by mocking the character. It was usually easy to tell that behavior from posters just not liking Character A too.

How would you stop it?
    By doing just what Jonah did opening threads up so more people that possibly like that character can say...oh yeah I like such and such character too. It makes for a more...I hate to use fox news euphemism..a more fair and balanced chat.
    And the thing to remember its just off-topic chats.

Wolverine fans still have a thread where they don't have to talk about Daken. And Namor fans have a thread where they don't have to chat about Black Panther.

I really think what Jonah did was fair.

But for those who want individual community thread..I just wanted to know what they would do to ensure...fan bottling doesn't take place. As in a BP fan dominated Off-topic chat where a Namor fan feels unwelcome, or a fill in the blank fan will talk to another fan who doesn't like whatever. you get my point. I hope..i said it clearly.
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 05-04-2014 at 05:20 PM.

Did you witness any comic book bullying in so far as seeing groups of people tease an individuals tastes in a comic and later ostracizing that poster. I don't mean a tease or two but full on putdowns?
    Jeez, this seems like something you want to get off your chest. What exactly went down that bugged you?

Let's talk it out.

BANNED

Jeez, this seems like something you want to get off your chest. What exactly went down that bugged you?

Let's talk it out.
    well I can go on personally but i think Jonah's statement said it all...it all started a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. I joined CBR in 2007. Wow 7 years ago.

Anywho..I was excited. I had read pretty much every Marvel comic and I was eager to chat about them all. But what i found was A) people didnt take kindly to newcomers chatting in every thread..it was taken as rude...what was i supposed to do I literally and figuratively liked every Marvel character. And wanted to discuss it all.

Bowing to pressure..I limited my chats, but then I found each genre had a community thread wherein they talked about various things...as it would happen what is your fav book popped up..and in turn each community hated some character or other..and followed that statement up with how fans of those outside characters were garbage. or lacked taste.

Part I of my experience. To be continued.

So Jonah's change spoke to me. I don't think you had that problem because you probably just like one genre or group of characters and you stay in that community. But why should those who's interest varies have to be ostracized because a group of fans hate characters they like...in an off topic thread?
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 05-04-2014 at 05:29 PM.

I understand what you are saying. It happened to me on the old Classic Comics section. I mentioned being a fan of McFarlane's art and was verbally ripped to shreds for it. Fortunately most of them have left CBR since the reboot. I have seen this behavior all over the forum were small groups of people think they own a certain section or thread and either ignore or bully newbies and outsiders to get rid of them. Hopefully the mods will be more vigilant about stopping that kind of behavior in the future.

Huh. Did you stick around in the threads? It seems like with folks as geeky as comic types can be, there is a "be on the lookout in case this is a leg puller" sort of mentality.

As for that second part, it might help to just take a step back. Which is more lacking in taste: liking a garbage character or getting worked up about that someone else could like a garbage character?

Fantastic Member

Hmm, since pretty much all of the threads I used to visit on the old forums have returned, and are carrying on essentially exactly as they always had, I'd say the old forums already have returned ftmp. That's a good thing afaic since in general the old forums were fine.

Spectacular Member Lycaon pictus's Avatar

But for those who want individual community thread..I just wanted to know what they would do to ensure...fan bottling doesn't take place. As in a BP fan dominated Off-topic chat where a Namor fan feels unwelcome, or a fill in the blank fan will talk to another fan who doesn't like whatever. you get my point. I hope..i said it clearly.
    If I were a Namor fan, I wouldn't want to chat in a BP dominated off-topic thread. But I see what you mean. The old subforum off-topic threads were pretty broad, one for rumbles, one for Ultimates, one for X-Men, one for the community thread, etc. I guess an Avengers fan might catch some heat in an X-Men off topic thread...

Hmm. Aside from the already in place civility rules, I don't know how else you'd guard against that kind of thing...

I will say that if X-Cres ever does come back, and you want to post there, I'd stick up for you if they gave you ****.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cometman View Post
    I understand what you are saying. It happened to me on the old Classic Comics section. I mentioned being a fan of McFarlane's art and was verbally ripped to shreds for it. Fortunately most of them have left CBR since the reboot. I have seen this behavior all over the forum were small groups of people think they own a certain section or thread and either ignore or bully newbies and outsiders to get rid of them. Hopefully the mods will be more vigilant about stopping that kind of behavior in the future.
    That's messed up. What kind of jerk puts down someone for liking an artist they don't care for?!
    Wow...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cometman View Post
    Exactly.

As for that second part, it might help to just take a step back. Which is more lacking in taste: liking a garbage character or getting worked up about that someone else could like a garbage character?
    LOL. so i should just accept someone calling a character I like garbage, me garbage and not wanting to talk to me about anything else? I should take the step back..

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    Hmm, since pretty much all of the threads I used to visit on the old forums have returned, and are carrying on essentially exactly as they always had, I'd say the old forums already have returned ftmp. That's a good thing afaic since in general the old forums were fine.
    Exactly..its only off-topic chatting that has basically changed. You didn't even notice.
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 05-04-2014 at 05:39 PM.

So Jonah's change spoke to me. I don't think you had that problem because you probably just like one genre or group of characters and you stay in that community. But why should those who's interest varies have to be ostracized because a group of fans hate characters they like...in an off topic thread?
    Actually, the current Wonder Woman run lead me to wind up in a part of the board I would not have wound up in otherwise. As for varied interest, the main DC crowd did seem to throw quite a bit of mud on Wildstorm characters. Never really bugged me. They have their feelings. They might be different than mine. That doesn't mean I should get caught up in them getting hateful about it.

BANNED

Actually, the current Wonder Woman run lead me to wind up in a part of the board I would not have wound up in otherwise. As for varied interest, the main DC crowd did seem to throw quite a bit of mud on Wildstorm characters. Never really bugged me. They have their feelings. They might be different than mine. That doesn't mean I should get caught up in them getting hateful about it.
    Because they forced you to retreat to a corner..and you learned to accept it. But no-one puts baby in a corner. Why should I settle for that? I have every right to chat in a public thread as anyone else.