Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    Hmm, since pretty much all of the threads I used to visit on the old forums have returned, and are carrying on essentially exactly as they always had, I'd say the old forums already have returned ftmp. That's a good thing afaic since in general the old forums were fine.
    While I don't want to keep griping about this, I did really love the old DC: subs for DC's titles/imprints, Marvel: subs for Marvel's titles layout.

Credit where it's due, that was a pretty brilliant layout from a "Where can I find what I want to discuss?" standpoint.

Fantastic Member

So really it's not a fear of the old CBR returning, it's more a fear of the old CBR off topic chatting returning. I'm just getting a little tired of hearing all over the internet that these forums I've been enjoying so much for the past few years were actually a toxic wasteland of racism, bullying, misogyny, and hatred because I don't enjoy any of those things...

BANNED

So really it's not a fear of the old CBR returning, it's more a fear of the old CBR off topic chatting returning. I'm just getting a little tired of hearing all over the internet that these forums I've been enjoying so much for the past few years were actually a toxic wasteland of racism, bullying, misogyny, and hatred because I don't enjoy any of those things...
    No someone asked me to elaborate which I foolishly did knowing a few posters would narrow their opposing point to my personal anecdote..i didn't want to give.

I will re-post what Jonah said to get back on track.

To be clear: this is about more than just this one thread. While there are many examples of good conversation among great members on our old forums, hateful and ugly comments were allowed to be posted in the interest of "free speech," which made the forums a place that wasn't accepting or inviting. I'm ashamed to say, I didn't take enough notice of what was happening.

That failure falls on me. And I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Because they forced you to retreat to a corner..and you learned to accept it. But no-one puts baby in a corner. Why should I settle for that? I have every right to chat in a public thread as anyone else.
    I guess we see it differently. I don't feel like my opinion being different from what most DC fans think means I am in some sort of a corner.

I posted in those threads just like they did. That we did not agree didn't stop me from posting. It never felt like I was settling for something.

Spectacular Member Lycaon pictus's Avatar

Yeah, my group was cliquey, but we weren't any of those things.

I agree that ostracizing a poster for liking a particular character is petty, but people can get over things like that once they get to know you.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I guess we see it differently. I don't feel like my opinion being different from what most DC fans think means I am in some sort of a corner.

I posted in those threads just like they did. That we did not agree didn't stop me from posting. It never felt like I was settling for something.
    But you said it made you leave--retreat to another thread. You may call it something else but that is what you did.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post
    Yeah, my group was cliquey, but we weren't any of those things.

I agree that ostracizing a poster for liking a particular character is petty, but people can get over things like that once they get to know you.
    what about the daily jabs and insults?. I guess verbally abused women should just get used to that as well.

Oh he wont change...get used to it or leave..this is a public library where we all meet. LOL

what about the daily jabs and insults?. I guess verbally abused women should just get used to that as well.

Oh he wont change...get used to it or leave..this is a public library where we all meet. LOL
    Without something specific, this will be hard to discuss.

I don't know that I feel a woman being screamed at is actually like someone on a comic book message board calling me an idiot because I like the Wildstorm line.

But you said it made you leave--retreat to another thread. You may call it something else but that is what you did.
    Sorry if it came across that way. I did not leave any threads.

Actually, the Wonder Woman sub-forum has been pretty great as far as discussing the run. That there are two very different sets of fans doesn't really stop that.

Of course not. I'm saying the insults stop once people get to know each other. Everyone's hackles come down, and they can talk like regular people.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Without something specific, this will be hard to discuss.
    Why so you can say that wouldn't bother you..when you haven't had it happen to you?

Point is this is Jonah's Website. if he says look no insulting posters. No bullying no excessive curse words and to ensure it doesnt happen it, places all off-topic chats into one forum so he and mods can better monitor them..what is the problem??

Its like going to a library with a no loud talking sign.. Patrons have secreted away to various sections and began to talk loudly (and not even about the books in that section) and others bully or antagonize those walking down the isle looking for books those same patrons hate.

The owner of the library closes the doors for a night then creates a room specifically for loud talking..and instead of saying great idea..certain patrons would rather loud talk in the mystery section, the sci-fi section, the romance section--disturbing the whole library (not even talking about the books within but off-topc things, writers, and other readers).

The logic doesnt make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post
    Of course not. I'm saying the insults stop once people get to know each other. Everyone's hackles come down, and they can talk like regular people.
    How long have you been on cbr?
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 05-04-2014 at 06:01 PM.

How long have you been on cbr?
    Not half as long as you have, and I've managed to find my niche.
    When I first started posting in X-Cres, people were standoffish, and somewhat rude. That definitely does happen, to both newbies and fans who are considered "outsiders" and I won't defend it.

But over time, we all got to know each other. Some people are still friendlier than others. Some people are kinda just jerks. Overall, I have had a good experience posting on the boards. If I had left X-Cres after the first time someone was rude to me, I would probs think they are all to cliquey to accept anyone.
    But I didn't. And now we're all cool.
    You just have to put yourself out there, and make friends.

No one should have to take any sort of abuse though. That's not ok.

Alright. I can see this is going in the opposite if the direction I had hoped it might. My posts in this thread don't seem to be helping. I'll just bow out.

BANNED

You're starting to sound a little negative and snippy when you talk to LP. How do we ensure that kind of thing doesn't come back?