Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 84
  1. #61
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Old School
    Posts
    3,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gregyo View Post
    You're starting to sound a little negative and snippy when you talk to LP. How do we ensure that kind of thing doesn't come back?
    would it help if you read my text in a mickey mouse voice?

    because they are that non-negative...as non-negative a tone as the threads of people wanting their tribes back--err i mean threads.

  2. #62
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Diamond Bar, CA
    Posts
    1,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lycaon pictus View Post
    Not half as long as you have, and I've managed to find my niche.
    When I first started posting in X-Cres, people were standoffish, and somewhat rude. That definitely does happen, to both newbies and fans who are considered "outsiders" and I won't defend it.

    But over time, we all got to know each other. Some people are still friendlier than others. Some people are kinda just jerks. Overall, I have had a good experience posting on the boards. If I had left X-Cres after the first time someone was rude to me, I would probs think they are all to cliquey to accept anyone.
    But I didn't. And now we're all cool.
    You just have to put yourself out there, and make friends.

    No one should have to take any sort of abuse though. That's not ok.
    What you're describing is a form of hazing.
    Basically you have to make it through a period of people treating you like dirt until they've decided you're one of them.

    I'm sorry but that's a bit absurd and juvenile.
    No one should need to go through that just to be accepted on a comic book forum.
    It's frankly really disgusting if that's the case.

  3. #63
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Old School
    Posts
    3,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    What you're describing is a form of hazing.
    Basically you have to make it through a period of people treating you like dirt until they've decided you're one of them.

    I'm sorry but that's a bit absurd and juvenile.
    No one should need to go through that just to be accepted on a comic book forum.
    It's frankly really disgusting if that's the case.
    And I think its great that people can go to facebook or elsewhere..have a chat with their close friends when they don't wont to talk to others..then when they want to join the CBR party they can..just like MARDE GRAS.


    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 05-04-2014 at 06:17 PM.

  4. #64
    Full sauced... klinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    843

    Default

    I think it's more than social circles and such. People tend to have very strong opinions about thier comics, and are actively opposed to concepts/plots/characters that fly in the face of thier 'ideal'.

    I think we all feel that to some degree or other.

    I know I'm not very popular with certain factions on these boards. I'm not at all offended by this on any personal level. It does stifle conversation (on my part) about certain books and caracters, but there are plenty of other books and characters I do enjoy discussing with other people. If something extraordinary happens, I will still make a point of expressing my enthusiasm in an appropriate thread, be it heard or not.

    So, really, you can't actually expect people to respond to your own enthusiasm in a positive manner if they, themselves are not enjoying what it is that you are. Really, the bestcase scenario there is that they ignore your comments, no?

    I dunno. I don't see the problem with 'non-engagement'. I tend only to take issue with active trolling of threads when parties insist on reitterating thier point in an environ that finds it hostile. /shrug.

  5. #65
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Old School
    Posts
    3,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    I think it's more than social circles and such. People tend to have very strong opinions about thier comics, and are actively opposed to concepts/plots/characters that fly in the face of thier 'ideal'.

    I think we all feel that to some degree or other.

    I know I'm not very popular with certain factions on these boards. I'm not at all offended by this on any personal level. It does stifle conversation (on my part) about certain books and caracters, but there are plenty of other books and characters I do enjoy discussing with other people. If something extraordinary happens, I will still make a point of expressing my enthusiasm in an appropriate thread, be it heard or not.

    So, really, you can't actually expect people to respond to your own enthusiasm in a positive manner if they, themselves are not enjoying what it is that you are. Really, the bestcase scenario there is that they ignore your comments, no?

    I dunno. I don't see the problem with 'non-engagement'. I tend only to take issue with active trolling of threads when parties insist on reitterating thier point in an environ that finds it hostile. /shrug.
    what do you think about those who learn of the characters you like that they disdain leading to bullying, hazing, cursing insults, and the shunning you from conversations that are off-topic and not character related? Do you think that sort of behavior should be rewarded?

    Also no one can ignore being insulted forever. When that doesnt work in bullying someone off (because lets face it that is its purpose) other drastic measures are taken and that leads to rape threats and personal information being hacked..the latter of which happened to me also.
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 05-04-2014 at 06:59 PM.

  6. #66
    Full sauced... klinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    what do you think about those who learn of the characters you like that they disdain leading to bully, cursing insults, and shun you from conversations that are off-topic and not character related? Do you think that sort of behavior should be rewarded?
    It depends on the delivery? I don't know. It's hard for me to take any of it personally. I don't really have much interest in discussions outside of the comics themselves on these boards though.

    In all honesty, I'm more offended if someone speaks ill of a favorite character than anything they might say of me. The Scarlet Witch trials can be particularily taxing.

    Just be enthusiastic about what you love, mate. Other people who are similarily enthusiastic will eventually take notice.

  7. #67
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Old School
    Posts
    3,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    It depends on the delivery? I don't know. It's hard for me to take any of it personally. I don't really have much interest in discussions outside of the comics themselves on these boards though.

    In all honesty, I'm more offended if someone speaks ill of a favorite character than anything they might say of me. The Scarlet Witch trials can be particularily taxing.

    Just be enthusiastic about what you love, mate. Other people who are similarily enthusiastic will eventually take notice.
    I understand the stand strong message but what should be done for those who cant stand as strong as you or I? I made my mind up long ago I would never be bullied off of anything..I even take full responsibility for my own actions...But what about the meeker ones that leave with their tails betwixt their tales?

    Don't the strong have the responsibility to at least insure the safety of the weak? I mean this is a forum about SUPER HEROES.

    Also i applaud Jonah for making his stand..because I know he personally did nothing wrong. he is just a man who took responsibility for things that occur under his banner. i wish a lot more people who owned things took that approach.

    That is why I asked what can we all do to make the place a little more friendlier..I am kind of disheartened to hear more
    there is nothing wrong..than at least admitting things could be better"

    Things can always be better.

  8. #68
    Full sauced... klinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    I understand the stand strong message but what should be done for those who cant stand as strong as you or I? I made my mind up long ago I would never be bullied off of anything..I even take full responsibility for my own actions...But what about the meeker ones that leave with their tails betwixt their tales?

    Don't the strong have the responsibility to at least insure the safety of the weak? I mean this is a forum about SUPER HEROES.

    Also i applaud Jonah for making his stand..because I know he personally did nothing wrong. he is just a man who took responsibility for things that occur under his banner. i wish a lot more people who owned things took that approach.

    That is why I asked what can we all do to make the place a little more friendlier..I am kind of disheartened to hear more
    there is nothing wrong..than at least admitting things could be better"

    Things can always be better.
    I don't think my point was 'stand strong'. It was really just ignore those you don't get along with and engage those that you do.

    If you're looking for affirmation from strangers online...then I have no idea what to say here. Just think of everyone here as slightly sophisticated 'bots', and accord personal interactions as much accord?

    It's a comics forum. Just engage in the topics/books/characters that are of interest to you. The politics and ego trips? These things really, really don't matter. You love what you love, the same as everyone else.

    'Fans' are always going to be overly negative online. I have no idea why, but that's how it is. Just don't be.

    Try 'Appreciation' threads. They tend to be positive spaces where even the most political of divides fall away in favor of gushing about a favorite character!

  9. #69
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Old School
    Posts
    3,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    I don't think my point was 'stand strong'. It was really just ignore those you don't get along with and engage those that you do.

    If you're looking for affirmation from strangers online...then I have no idea what to say here. Just think of everyone here as slightly sophisticated 'bots', and accord personal interactions as much accord?

    It's a comics forum. Just engage in the topics/books/characters that are of interest to you. The politics and ego trips? These things really, really don't matter. You love what you love, the same as everyone else.

    'Fans' are always going to be overly negative online. I have no idea why, but that's how it is. Just don't be.

    Try 'Appreciation' threads. They tend to be positive spaces where even the most political of divides fall away in favor of gushing about a favorite character!
    So only react to rape threats and information hacking when they happen..don't take steps to ensure that sort of thing wont happen(in the first place) before it happens?

    I see your point..but I don't think its the right way to go.

    I have to ask have you ever been bullied or made to feel unwelcome or were you one of the lucky few who joined a clique and stayed in that clique?

    This doesn't bode well..the answers I'm getting is change nothing...not even how to ensure things wont get out of hand..just accept that it will.
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 05-04-2014 at 07:31 PM.

  10. #70
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19,375

    Default

    Let's be realistic about something. That the language and the tone is something the mods have some control over is realistic. Thinking they can stop information hacking? I don't know.

    Doesn't seem like something that is under their control.

    Back to ducking out.

  11. #71
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Old School
    Posts
    3,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Let's be realistic about something. That the language and the tone is something the mods have some control over is realistic. Thinking they can stop information hacking? I don't know.

    Doesn't seem like something that is under their control.

    Back to ducking out.
    I suggest anyone with apprehension see this youtube clip about strangers and close proximity.




    Also a follow up article.

    http://elitedaily.com/news/world/pho...re-surprising/
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 05-04-2014 at 07:43 PM.

  12. #72
    Full sauced... klinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    So only react to rape threats and information hacking when they happen..don't take steps to ensure that sort of thing wont happen(in the first place) before it happens?

    I see your point..but I don't think its the right way to go.

    I have to ask have you ever been bullied or made to feel unwelcome or were you one of the lucky few who joined a clique and stayed in that clique?

    This doesn't bode well..the answers I'm getting is change nothing...not even how to ensure things wont get out of hand..just accept that it will.
    I haven't seen evidence of that level of hostility on these forums, to be honest. The responses to the TT critique may have stemmed from an article on CBR, but I don't think they were enacted on the forums themselves. I don't think the author took part in the discourses here, actually.

    There are (still) some very aggressive, sociopathic persons on here, yes. I think it's just your garden variety trolling though. If you're seeing actual threats, I've no reason to doubt that the moderators will act on it swiftly and effictively. The onus is on you to bring it to thier attention though. They're not omnipotent, no matter how good thier intentions.

    There will always be personalities that will not mesh well with one's own. That's life. You can't stomp that out, nor should you wish to really. Not getting along with someone who's of a different disposition than yourself is not the same as being threatened.

    It's not about 'being accepted'. There are no 'cool kids' here. Seriously. There are a bunch of fans of varying degrees of enthusiasm and manners of delivery thereof. /shrug.

  13. #73
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    157

    Default

    You're never going to have a perfect community. The community is increasingly thin-skinned and increasingly diverse in their opinions. That's sort of a lethal combination for anyone so super-sensitive that s/he needs to feel constant reinforcement of already held opinions and beliefs. Many people feel "threatened" by people who have different opinions than they do. They find the most extreme example of people who disagree with them, and then brand everyone else who disagrees to a more moderate extent as being just as hateful as the extremists.

    I agree with what someone said on the first page: The CBR forums were never that bad. Certainly not compared to a LOT of other forums on the net, which are full of endless sniping that has no content to it. Disclaimer: Yeah, right before the reboot the CBR forums were evidently really bad in places. I don't know; I've barely posted here in the last couple months.

    If people can't deal with others not liking the same comic books they do, or (GOD FORBID) suggesting that certain types of comics are just not economically or creatively viable, I don't know how they can make it in the real world without a ton of psychological breakdowns. I really don't. And I don't say that snidely. I really feel concern for certain people that I see posting on message boards sometimes. They seem so extremely fragile. It's very sad. Opinions of other people shouldn't bother you so much, especially not when you can logically and fairly understand if those people are idiots, or if their opinions actually have content in them. I've learned a ton from people who have/had different opinions than me.

    People are offended when rather innocuous statements are made against titles/groups they identify with. On the other hand they rail mercilessly against their perceived political enemies. The double-standards are astounding. I don't expect it to ever stop. I expect people to get more even more selectively sensitive.
    Last edited by DarkBeast; 05-04-2014 at 08:14 PM.

  14. #74
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Old School
    Posts
    3,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkBeast View Post
    You're never going to have a perfect community. The community is increasingly thin-skinned and increasingly diverse in their opinions. That's sort of a lethal combination for anyone so super-sensitive that s/he needs to feel constant reinforcement of already held opinions and beliefs. Many people feel "threatened" by people who have different opinions than they do. They find the most extreme example of people who disagree with them, and then brand everyone else who disagrees to a more moderate extent as being just as hateful as the extremists.

    I agree with what someone said on the first page: The CBR forums were never that bad. Certainly not compared to a LOT of other forums on the net, which are full of endless sniping that has no content to it. Disclaimer: Yeah, right before the reboot the CBR forums were evidently really bad in places. I don't know; I've barely posted here in the last couple months.

    If people can't deal with others not liking the same comic books they do, or (GOD FORBID) suggesting that certain types of comics are just not economically or creatively viable, I don't know how they can make it in the real world without a ton of psychological breakdowns. I really don't. And I don't say that snidely. I really feel concern for certain people that I see posting on message boards sometimes. They seem so extremely fragile. It's very sad.

    People are offended when rather innocuous statements are made against titles/groups they identify with. On the other hand they rail mercilessly against their perceived political enemies. The double-standards are astounding. I don't expect it to ever stop. I expect people to get more even more selectively sensitive.
    Oh the statements weren't innocuous I assure you. And everybody says other people are thin skinned till its their kid crying. But all public forums, places and transportation have decorum rules that are enforced. NO luxury or Private boxes exist in a public park either.


    also, You wont hear people complaining about removing gangs off of trains or buses as just thin-skinned people complaining because they don't like small groups taking over trains. Again i find the level of empathy so disheartening-- I see why it took rape threats from CBR posters, and people on CBR saying the young lady deserved what she got to motivate the owner.

    The lack of groundswell in her defense for merely stating an opinion probably made them sick, among other things. So mods and powers that be you clearly were in the right..because we wont police ourselves..it would probably take a real death or attack to get people to see the very tribal we own CBR attitude was at fault.

    or it was a lone nut excuse.. instead of you know nipping the problem in the bud.
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 05-04-2014 at 08:20 PM.

  15. #75
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Why so you can say that wouldn't bother you..when you haven't had it happen to you?

    Point is this is Jonah's Website. if he says look no insulting posters. No bullying no excessive curse words and to ensure it doesnt happen it, places all off-topic chats into one forum so he and mods can better monitor them..what is the problem??
    Not going to help. The only way that helps is if this place was small enough that a moderator could realistically be capable of reading every post in a sub forum. There is only one sure fired way to not have such posts. Not have a forum.

    Assuming one wants a forum, and assuming it is is large as CBR, the only thing to do is foster a attitude of trust between posters and moderators. Such that one feels one can go to them when one feels being insulted. And make it aware that you SHOULD do so.

    Trust is a huge component of this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •