Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It wouldn't. Alkyone's hatred of Diana was irrational to begin with and the story makes that quite clear. It's implied that she's just jealous that Diana wasn't her daughter and is using the safety and betterment of Themyscira as a smokescreen to disguise her true motivations.

Artemis isn't stoic nor one-dimensional. She also let go of her resentment towards Diana a long time ago.
    No she didn't, they're almost always frenemies, mostly on Artemis' end but it takes two to tango. Name another instance of Artemis bursting into tears and crying on Diana's shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    No she didn't, they're almost always frenemies, mostly on Artemis' end but it takes two to tango. Name another instance of Artemis bursting into tears and crying on Diana's shoulder.
    That it hasn't happened before does not inherently make it a bad idea. Characters showing emotions other than their surface level traits is not a bad thing. They became actual friends after Byrne.

I get why people hate Azz, but I can’t understand how anyone can say he’s the worst when the Finches exist. The Finches run is everything bad about Azz’s run doubled up with none of the good.
    That it hasn't happened before does not inherently make it a bad idea. Characters showing emotions other than their surface level traits is not a bad thing. They became actual friends after Byrne.

This is so homoerotic lol. Can’t believe DC has never had them hook up.
    Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Because DC needs to maintain Superman as the top dog superhero in their line up (despite having a several heroes that puts Superman's powers to shame). I'm also of the belief that there is a small but vocal sub-section of comic nerds that would flip and cry "SJW FEMINSIM RUINS SUPERMAN!!!!" if Diana is portrayed as more competent or powerful then him, and I only have to look at the one thread from a while back where Diana moved a rock that the league had trouble with or whatever to prove that point. Really though, she doesn't need to be more powerful or even 100% equal to him for me to be happy with her power level, but she needs to be really dang close, I mean like at least 95%.
    Im assuming you mean strength-wise, because there’s no way anyone can think Supes is the top dog at DC these days, or that DC is interested in “protecting him” at all. He and Wondy routinely get dumped on to prop up the real top dog.
    Last edited by Vordan; 01-22-2021 at 01:11 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It doesn't help that Diana calls a lot of her significant female relationships "sister." Familial pet names are express tickets to Squicksville when it comes to sex and romance.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It doesn't help that Diana calls a lot of her significant female relationships "sister." Familial pet names are express tickets to Squicksville when it comes to sex and romance.
    Yeah, I never got why they had Diana doing that so often. I get the girl power thing for Wonder Woman but some things are too on the nose.

Im assuming you mean strength-wise, because there’s no way anyone can think Supes is the top dog at DC these days, or that DC is interested in “protecting him” at all. He and Wondy routinely get dumped on to prop up the real top dog.
    They both play backseat to Batman but idk, seems like anytime most modern writers write the two it always seems to end up with her being a prop to Superman's arc or with her being portrayed inferior whether physically or morally. Kingdom Come, Frank Miller, the stuff Guy McNights posted from the Superman/Wonder Woman romance, Injustice, depictions of the neck snap by writers who aren't Rucka, anytime Tom Taylor writes them, etc.

That's not Artemis bursting into tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    That's not Artemis bursting into tears.
    It wasn't her being stoic either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    So here's the issue - Azzarello showed the Amazons as being a dark, regressed society of murderers.

But then he showed the Manazons as a peaceful society of mastersmith/weapons makers.

So we can't have a progressive, all female society of immortals, but we can have a utopian society of brothers of the forge working happily for Hephaestus.
    I thought they came across kind of like slaves with some form of stockholm syndrome, cultish. They seemed to love their patriarch but it felt manipulative. I also didn't get the impression they could leave and whether that they were afraid of Hephaestus/Amazons. I know Wonder Woman tried to free them but to me it came across like they didn't know what to do or where to go because they had no understanding of the world. I did love that Diana's instant reaction to finding out about them was to fight for them and when she got upset I think it was the complexity of the issue. How does she free them if they don't want to be freed? At the end of the day Hephaestus was effectively buying them. I didn't see this as Utopian either.

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    Why wouldn't people that live thousands of years want to continue to learn?

As for their "isolationist, gender biased," society - I see it as more of a sanctuary. Do you think shelters for battered women are a bad thing?

Monarchies are not inherently evil, nor are democracies inherently good. It's much more about the leaders themselves than the form of government. So, your North Korea example is quite flawed because there is no eveidence that Hippolyta is anything like the Kim family.
    It's not that they wouldn't continue to learn. Usually artists have a very productive period and then they define a style and then it sticks. They might refine it but the kind of evolution that your suggesting, I think people kind of plateau.

I didn't say that monarchies are inherently evil but to me any depiction of "Utopia" should involve democracy because I believe in the importance in the vote for self determination and freedom.

I know there was a depiction of the amazons were they were the reincarnated souls of women murdered by men but it's not the consistent depiction and even if it was they are in new lives now so comparing them to domestic violence victims or Themsycira to a battered women shelter is not a valid comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    How do you make Wonder Woman the biological child of Zeus and not make her stronger than Superman?
    I think they are on a par now. She hacked off his arm in Dceased and killed him in Dead Earth.
    Last edited by blanchett; 01-22-2021 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    I think they are on a par now. She hacked off his arm in Dceased and killed him in Dead Earth.
    She was one punched to death by Superman despite having a sword made of magic and Krpytonite.

Taylor's a bad WW writer regardless of the story.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Taylor's a bad writer regardless of the story.
    Is this what you really meant to say?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Because DC needs to maintain Superman as the top dog superhero in their line up (despite having a several heroes that puts Superman's powers to shame). I'm also of the belief that there is a small but vocal sub-section of comic nerds that would flip and cry "SJW FEMINSIM RUINS SUPERMAN!!!!" if Diana is portrayed as more competent or powerful then him, and I only have to look at the one thread from a while back where Diana moved a rock that the league had trouble with or whatever to prove that point. Really though, she doesn't need to be more powerful or even 100% equal to him for me to be happy with her power level, but she needs to be really dang close, I mean like at least 95%.
    He actually took powers away from Diana, specifically her flight, and I recall in an interview he was asked “can WW fly?? I dunno.” It was kinda sarcastic and passive aggressive to me. She didn’t even get her flight back until halfway through the run. Why would you make her “the daughter of a god”, and then nerf her? It was crazy.

Fantastic Member

I get why people hate Azz, but I can’t understand how anyone can say he’s the worst when the Finches exist. The Finches run is everything bad about Azz’s run doubled up with none of the good.

I'm hoping Dc never hooks them up!! That's not something i'd be interested in seeing. They could become good friends, close like sisters.

Some deletions in the thread, so let me be clear - If you post something here, it is public and it is open to civil debate/discussion, regardless of whether or not someone chooses a sentence, a paragraph, or an entire post to respond to.

No one has a right to tell anyone else *not* to respond to their posts or to put you on ignore. If you don't like someone else's posts, feel free to put *them* on ignore, but do so without the dramatic announcement, which is a rules violation.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

I get why people hate Azz, but I can’t understand how anyone can say he’s the worst when the Finches exist...