Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Who Are Worst Wonder Woman Writers?

Reverse of the best writers thread from a little while back, but would you say are the worst Wonder Woman writers that you’ve read?

For me -
    Her solo book: John Byrne or James Robinson
    Not on her solo book: Tom Taylor

Will Pfeifer. Writing Amazons Attack and having Cheetah defeated by Batman and Catwoman is a pretty "good" resume.

Robert Kanigher. He was great at writing DC's war books and some other titles, but he had a long atrocious run (nearly 20 years) as WW's writer after taking over from Marston.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

How about we take a lesson from Wonder Woman and focus on what we love, not what we hate?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Robert Kanigher. He was great at writing DC's war books and some other titles, but he had a long atrocious run (nearly 20 years) as WW's writer after taking over from Marston.

-M
    The most correct answer you'll find.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    How about we take a lesson from Wonder Woman and focus on what we love, not what we hate?
    Comic fans love to hate, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post

-M
    Kanigher was kino though
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Kanigher wasn't that bad. He created Nubia and saved Diana from Mike Sekowsky's awful mod era.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Reverse of the best writers thread from a little while back, but would you say are the worst Wonder Woman writers that you’ve read?

For me -
    Her solo book: John Byrne or James Robinson
    Not on her solo book: Tom Taylor
    Now that we know the horrors that go on behind the scenes I can't say a name and feel good aboush. Will Pfeiffer may have been the name on AMAZONS ATTACK but I recall a feedback forum for him where we learned that That One Annoying Arrogant Individual wrote most of that and Will really just did finishes.

Beyond that, for me it is Azzarello and Jill Thompson. Both their outings were No Thank You.I

Outside of the WW Banner it would be between Chris Priest and Geoff Johns with the odds being on Johns since he did more in quantity and his unfortunate and mind boggling placement in leadership meant he got do more damage with his influence.

If only be and That Other One could be Omega Beamed out of the timeline.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

My top 10 worst Wonder Woman writers:

1.) Brian Azzarello
    2.) Brian Azzarello
    3.) Brian Azzarello
    4.) Brian Azzarello
    5.) Brian Azzarello
    6.) Brian Azzarello
    7.) Brian Azzarello
    8.) Brian Azzarello
    9.) Brian Azzarello
    10.) Brian Azzarello

The stink he left on Wonder Woman, the Amazons, Orion, and the Greek Gods still lingers to this day. He tarnished these characters in ways that no other creator has. Diana crunching testicles, the Amazons being revealed as man-killing, baby-trading sex pirates, Orion being portrayed as a chauvinist pig, and the Greek Gods all having their own deviant sides were disgusting stains on Wonder Woman's mythos.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Kanigher was kino though
    Using internet slang as defense doesn't always work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post

1.) Brian Azzarello
    2.) Brian Azzarello
    3.) Brian Azzarello
    4.) Brian Azzarello
    5.) Brian Azzarello
    6.) Brian Azzarello
    7.) Brian Azzarello
    8.) Brian Azzarello
    9.) Brian Azzarello
    10.) Brian Azzarello

The stink he left on Wonder Woman, the Amazons, Orion, and the Greek Gods still lingers to this day. He tarnished these characters in ways that no other creator has. Diana crunching testicles, the Amazons being revealed as man-killing, baby-trading sex pirates, Orion being portrayed as a chauvinist pig, and the Greek Gods all having their own deviant sides were disgusting stains on Wonder Woman's mythos.
    Truth! Brian Azzarello along with Meredith Finch and New 52 in general did so much damage to the character it's almost like intentional sabotage. Though I think Sekowsky deserves a spot there too. The mod era was so bad it literally had to be erased from Diana's memories.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post

1.) Brian Azzarello
    2.) Brian Azzarello
    3.) Brian Azzarello
    4.) Brian Azzarello
    5.) Brian Azzarello
    6.) Brian Azzarello
    7.) Brian Azzarello
    8.) Brian Azzarello
    9.) Brian Azzarello
    10.) Brian Azzarello

This. ^

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

For her solo book: Meredith Finch and James Robinson. Azzarello is a weird case because I love Diana and the Gods and hate the Amazons and everything else. So despite some BIG issues, he has some redeeming aspects to his run. G. Willow Wilson also had promise at first but got really boring.

Grant Morrison is a mixed bag, disappointing compared to their other output. Far from the best but also far from the worst. Would rank them higher than Azzarello and the others above at least.

For outside her solo: Will Pfeiffer, more often than not Geoff Johns (despite some pleasant surprises here and there) and for non-comics Bruce Timm.

If we're not limiting ourselves to comics, the Timmverse take. So everyone associated with that from Timm to Dini and whomever else.

In comics? Byrne, Finches, Robinson (I was even looking forward to this one and it was just...not what I was anticipating at all).

And if we're being honest the only thing to linger from Azz's run if one hated the totality of it was Zeus dad. That's the only thing that Rucka wasn't allowed to and thus did not reverse. And even then most writers have elected to just ignore it if possible. New Gods stuff was changed back elsewhere. Literally nothing else is still around. Which isn't completely a good thing because I agree with Siege that Diana's characterization and the Gods were great. I also enjoyed her many half-siblings.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-18-2021 at 10:45 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    If we're not limiting ourselves to comics, the Timmverse take. So everyone associated with that from Timm to Dini and whomever else.

In comics? Byrne, Finches, Robinson (I was even looking forward to this one and it was just...not what I was anticipating at all).

And if we're being honest the only thing to linger from Azz's run if one hated the totality of it was Zeus dad. That's the only thing that Rucka wasn't allowed to and thus did not reverse. And even then most writers have elected to just ignore it if possible. New Gods stuff was changed back elsewhere. Literally nothing else is still around. Which isn't completely a good thing because I agree with Siege that Diana's characterization and the Gods were great. I also enjoyed her many half-siblings.

For every time Azz wrote Diana saying "I love everyone" he shadowed it with her doing something disgusting like killing her mentor. Before anyone says she "had" to kill Ares, no she didn't. If she HAD to kill anyone that day, she should have killed the First Born, not the guy who was like a 2nd father to her. She took the easy way out.

As for Diana's many siblings, she still has them. They just aren't featured in her solo book more than she is any more.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.