Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

15 Things You Need To Know About Captain Britain to appreciate his role in the Marvel comics multiverse, and why a TV show based on his adventures is something that many fans are clamoring for.

https://screenrant.com/captain-britain-facts/

"...Whether saving the entire multiverse or just the British Isles, Captain Britain has a long legacy as a consistently popular superhero within the UK. While the character isn’t anywhere near as well-known as the far more famous Captain America, Brian Braddock has participated in plenty of amazing adventures and made a genuine contribution to the lore of the entire Marvel Universe...."

I recently finished reading The War of the Realms Omnibus, a 1576 page beast of a book. One of the better Marvel events. Being an earthwide event, it's a shame Captain Britain was hardly featured. He had maybe one or two panels in the main event and two or so pages in the one-shot War of the Realms: Strikeforce - The War Avengers in which he also features on the cover. Union Jack, Spitfire and Black Knight also two share pages in this one-shot. So much for Marvel UK, eh?

From the new Marvel solicitations:

CAPTAIN BRITAIN OMNIBUS
    Written by CHRIS CLAREMONT, GARY FRIEDRICH, LARRY LIEBER, JIM LAWRENCE, STEVE PARKHOUSE, DAVE THORPE, JAMIE DELANO & MORE
    Penciled by HERB TRIMPE, JOHN BUSCEMA, RON WILSON, JOHN BYRNE, PAUL NEARY, STEVE PARKHOUSE, ALAN DAVIS & MORE
    Covers by ALAN DAVIS & RON WILSON
    Follow the United Kingdom’s greatest champion from the streets of London to the mystic realm of Otherworld! Brian Braddock, hand-picked for greatness by the sorcerer Merlyn, has made the fateful choice between the sword of might and the amulet of right — and become a hero! Now, thrill to a complete collection of Captain Britain’s iconic UK adventures — from questing alongside the Black Knight to battling Jim Jaspers and the Fury to prevent Earth from becoming a crooked world! But when Brian suffers a crisis of faith, will his sister Betsy inherit the mantle? Featuring the Special Executive, the Warpies, the Captain Britain Corps, Meggan and more! Collecting the Captain Britain and related stories from CAPTAIN BRITAIN (1976) #1-39, SUPER SPIDER-MAN & CAPTAIN BRITAIN #231-247, HULK COMIC #1 and #3-46, INCREDIBLE HULK WEEKLY #47-55 and #57-63, MARVEL SUPER-HEROES (1972) #377-388,
    DAREDEVILS #1-11, MIGHTY WORLD OF MARVEL (1983) #7-16, CAPTAIN BRITAIN (1985) #1-14 and MARVEL TALES (1964) #131-133 — plus MARVEL TEAM-UP (1972) #65-66, NEW MUTANTS ANNUAL #2 and X-MEN ANNUAL (1970) #11.
    1368 PGS./Rated T+ …$125.00
    ISBN: 978-1-302-93226-8
    Trim size: 7-1/4 x 10-7/8

Upcoming Knights of Pendragon Omnibus:

It'll include Knights of Pendragon (1990) #1-18, Knights of Pendragon (1992) #1-15, Mys-Tech Wars #1-4, Dark Guard #1-4.

I was brought up on Marvel UK from the late 1970s-1980s but missed out on Marvel UK from the 1990s which this new Omnibus partially covers as I had stopped reading comics in the mid-late 1980s. What's also crazy is that I've recently been playing catch up and reading single issues of the Knights of Pendragon, the Mys-Tech Wars event and some Death's Head amongst others. The first Knights of Pendragon series is very well written by Dan Abnett but the art by Gary Erskine will not be to the liking of many as it's very "stiffish", a very acquired taste. I would say it's the kind of art that many Brits and Marvel UK readers like myself are used to but US readers may find off-putting. The second Knights of Pendragon isn't as ground-breaking as the first one, and a more run of the mill series of a superhero team fighting various threats and the regular big shoulder pads and large chests of the 1990s. Both series guest star US heroes such as Iron Man, Black Panther and Spider-Man. Captain Britain appears sporadically in the first series but is not the main focus. Btw, there's a "Spider world" and world web in the second KoP series, and after reading it, you wonder whether Dan Slott heavily borrowed from it for Spider-Verse.

I'm kind of surprised they haven't included the "recent" Revolutionary War event as it kind of gives closure to the whole Mys-Tech situation and features the Marvel UK heroes of that time. For a complete Mys-Tech collected edition, they would also need the crossover issues of Dark Angel, Warheads, Death's Head II and Motormouth & Killpower. Maybe that will be another Omnibus. IINM, all the issues included in this Omnibus are penned by Dan Abnett. That would explain what and why they have included/excluded in this Omnibus.

Comic Legends: Why Did Captain Britain Become Britanic?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr...excalibur/amp/

Yes, Scott Lobdell has a lot to answer for!

Seriously, it was just a stupid idea all round. Not a good costume design, either.

Reading through various1990s Marvel UK comics, I came across a very good site detailing a thorough and comprehensive Marvel UK 1990-1995 reading order:

MARVEL UK READING ORDER: Overkill (1990-1995)

It was extremely helpful.

Who do guys think should play him if he comes to the MCU? I think Henry Cavill would be a great choice.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Who do guys think should play him if he comes to the MCU? I think Henry Cavill would be a great choice.
    I kind of like the heroes to look 'on model', and I'm unsure of how Henry Cavill would look blonde. Apart from that, yes I think he'd be a good choice. He might be getting a little too old, though, if you wanted him to do a series of films and they weren't even on the schedule yet.

Astonishing Member

I suspect that, for better or worse, Brian’s fate in the MCU is determined by how Feige approaches Psylocke

I'm sure you're right, and I'm sure it will be for the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    If they dyed his hat blond, I think he would be great (although I would like to see him reprise his role as Superman and come back for one more film). I think other possibilities could be Sam Heughan and Charlie Hunman. At one point Dan Stevens seemed a very good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I kind of like the heroes to look 'on model', and I'm unsure of how Henry Cavill would look blonde. Apart from that, yes I think he'd be a good choice. He might be getting a little too old, though, if you wanted him to do a series of films and they weren't even on the schedule yet.
    I agree with the "on model" opinion. Have you seen The Witche? This might give you a good idea of Cavill as blond although as Geralt his hair is white.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    If they dyed his hat blond, I think he would be great (although I would like to see him reprise his role as Superman and come back for one more film). I think other possibilities could be Sam Heughan and Charlie Hunman. At one point Dan Stevens seemed a very good choice.

I agree with the "on model" opinion. Have you seen The Witche? This might give you a good idea of Cavill as blond although as Geralt his hair is white.
    I have seen The Witcher, and I liked him in it, the white hair did look weird, though (as it was supposed to do of course).

Sam Claflin is someone else who has been mentioned.

I think Charlie Hunman would be a good fit.

Peace