Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Does Captain America have to work out and eat healthy to stay fit

Or does the super soldier serum keep him in shape. I know the movies say he can't get drunk and I think GA comics said drugs wouldn't affect him.

He still has to stay in shape, he's constantly seen working out in the comics.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    He still has to stay in shape, he's constantly seen working out in the comics.
    I could be wrong, but I've always chalked that up to personal discipline and wanting to keep his skills in check. I mean, while I do think the SSS amps up his ability to learn new skills (something else I could be wrong about, mind you), retaining them I would think would require practice. For whatever reason, I can see the SSS retaining a perfect physique more than perfect skills.

Like I said, I could be wrong, though.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I don't know the answer to this. I will say the SS has come a loooooooooong way from its original design, which was simply to make the perfect human specimen. Not a god, not a super man, merely a mortal artificially accelerated to the pinnacle of what is humanly possible. But the way some writers have taken liberties with the SS, I'm not sure that its recipients qualify as "peak" human anymore. They've crossed over into the supernatural, or have blurred the line so much that you can't tell the difference.

Getting back to the question, my instincts are that the cardiopulmonary system would require some form of exercise, no matter which form of the SS a person has in their body. Further, given the endorphins, dopamine, etc., that result from regular exercise, I strongly suspect that Steve and others would continue to work out for that reason alone. Finally, let's not forget that even with the SS in his system Steve continues to age. That tells you that his body also has the potential for muscle atrophy. The only way to build and maintain muscle is to exercise...unless you happen to be someone with cosmic energy or some other type of esoteric power flowing through your body.

All that said, writers will write whatever makes sense to them and it wouldn't surprise me if someone has already established that Steve never needs to do anything outside of eating and breathing to maintain his "perfect" physique.

I took that to mean he has to continue to work out to stay fit, but as JP says, today's writers will do what they want.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post

I took that to mean he has to continue to work out to stay fit, but as JP says, today's writers will do what they want.
    *Get lost Beast!".

That was so savage.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    *Get lost Beast!".

That was so savage.
    So was the next panel where Hank tosses the weights over his shoulder like a duffle bag.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    So was the next panel where Hank tosses the weights over his shoulder like a duffle bag.
    Indeed. Truly classic (IMHO):

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Indeed. Truly classic (IMHO):

Back when literally every sentence that wasn't a question mark ended in an exclamation point.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Mighty Member

Good answers. I guess the serum saved The Red Skull from dying when he was subjected by his own "dust of death".

He needs to, take it from another super soldier (I know, I know, it's not the same )

"The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post

Was this during the era when he lost the serum and was regular human?

No, he just lost the unintended super-strength enhancement he received after being poisoned. This was mid-seventies.

BANNED

1610 Cap:

Astonishing Member

I think the fat burning effects of the serum are as awesome as human growth hormone.