Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Question Brian Braddock: Captain Britain Appreciation 2021

A Happy and Safe New Year to you all. 2021 brings us a new thread for Captain Britain.

As the "Britain Prevails! Marvel UK lives here..." thread was closed, this is the place to post your thoughts, pics and questions on anything related to Captain Britain and anything you feel Marvel UK related.

Last edited by Raffi Ol D'Arcy; 01-18-2021 at 06:16 AM.

Captain Britain Collected Editions - suggested reading

Captain Britain Vol. 1 OHC: Birth of a Legend

Collecting Captain Britain (1976 Marvel UK) #1-39 and Super Spider-Man and Captain Britain (1977 Marvel UK) #231-232
    Captain Britain Vol. 2 OHC: Siege of Camelot
    Collecting Super Spider-Man and Captain Britain (1977 Marvel UK) #233-247, Marvel Team-Up (1972) #65-66; and material from Hulk Comic (1979 Marvel UK) #1 and 3-46, Hulk Weekly (Marvel UK) #47-55, 57-58 and Incredible Hulk (Marvel UK) #59-63
    Captain Britain Omnibus OHC
    Collecting Marvel Super-Heroes (1972 Marvel UK) #377-388, The Daredevils (1981 Marvel UK) #1-11, The Mighty World of Marvel (1983 Marvel UK) #7-16,. Captain Britain (1985 Marvel UK) #1-14, New Mutants Annual (1983) #2, Uncanny X-Men Annual #11 and Captain America (1968) #305-306

The Knights of Pendragon: Once and Future TPB

by Dan Abnett, John Tomlinson, Gary Erskine & Andy Lanning
    Collecting The Knights of Pendragon (1990 Marvel UK) #1-9
    Sporadic appearances of Captain Britain.

Excalibur Vol. 2 (2001) #1-4 (only single issues)
    by Ben Raab & Pablo Raimondi
    Captain Britain's rise to become king of the extra-dimensional realm of Otherworld.

Avengers: Lionheart of Avalon TPB

by Chuck Austen, Olivier Coipiel & Sean Chen.
    Collecting Avengers (1997) #77-81
    Brian Braddock only appears briefly as the ruler of Otherworld. These issues are important in that he "passes" on the mantle of Captain Britain to Kelsey Leigh.

House of M: Uncanny X-Men TPB
    by Chris Claremont, Alan Davis & Chris Bachalo
    Collecting Uncanny X-Men #462-465 and material from Secrets from the House of M.
    Brian, Meggan, Betsy, Pete Wisdom & The Captain Britain Corps take on the House of M in a world distorted by the Scarlet Witch.

New Excalibur Vol. 1: Defenders of the Realm TPB
    by Chris Claremont, Michael Ryan & Steven Cummings
    Collecting New Excalibur (2006) #1-7
    New Excalibur Vol. 2: Last Days of Camelot TPB
    by Frank Tieri, Michael Ryan, Jim Calafiore, Chris Claremont, Christopher Yost & Scott Kolins
    Collecting New Excalibur (2006) #8-15
    New Excalibur Vol. 3: Battle for Eternity TPB
    by Chris Claremont, Scot Eaton, Jeremy Haun & Pat Olliffe
    Collecting New Excalibur (2006) #16-24

X-Men: Die by the Sword TPB

by Chris Claremont, Juan Santacruz & Cafu
    Collecting X-Men: Die by the Sword (2007) #1-5

Captain Britain and MI 13 Vol. 1: Secret Invasion TPB
    by Paul Cornell & Leonard Kirk
    Collecting Captain Britain and MI 13 (2008) #1-4 and Marvel Team-Up (1972) #65-66.
    Captain Britain and MI 13 Vol. 2: Hell comes to Birmingham TPB
    by Paul Cornell, Leonard Kirk & Pat Oliffe
    Collecting Captain Britain and MI 13 (2008) #5-9
    Captain Britain and MI 13 Vol. 3: Vampire State TPB
    by Paul Cornell, Leonard Kirk & Michael Collins
    Collecting Captain Britain and MI 13 (2008) #10-15 and Captain Britain and MI13 (2008) Annual #1.

Revolutionary War TPB
    Collecting Revolutionary War: Alpha (2014), Dark Angel (2014), Knights of Pendragon (2014), Deaths Head II (2014), Super Soldiers (2014), Motor Mouth (2014), Warheads (2024) and Omega (2014).
    Last edited by Raffi Ol D'Arcy; 06-08-2021 at 11:54 AM.

For historical purposes, below is the link to the Marvel UK thread which was closed at the end of 2020:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-UK-lives-here

Also, a new thread was started in 2021 for the Black Knight:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2021

One of my favourite heroes.

Fantastic Member

Really want to see Brian back in the suit.

One of my absolute favourites also.

@Panic, I greatly appreciated all your knowledgeable and thought out comments on the Britain Prevails thread. You have quite some experience. It's a shame we don't also get posts from the likes of The Sword is Drawn and Willow16 anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Czarnian View Post
    Really want to see Brian back in the suit.
    Absolutely, you're not alone with that dream. I don't have much hope unless they get a "top-tier"/"hot" writer such as Donny Cates or Jonathan Hickman to at least pen a mini-series. Another option would be that he gets at least a cameo in an MCU property which would create some interest.

He is not captain britain anymore
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

It's the name we know him by.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    One of my absolute favourites also.

@Panic, I greatly appreciated all your knowledgeable and thought out comments on the Britain Prevails thread. You have quite some experience. It's a shame we don't also get posts from the likes of The Sword is Drawn and Willow16 anymore.
    Thank you for the kind words, Raffi. I'm sad at the way Brian Braddock has been treated, but he's not alone in being treated badly - lots of characters are getting negative development at the moment. It does make me cross, but there is nothing to be done but post in here with other people who love the character.

Willow16 stopped having faith that Marvel would give us a Brian Braddock we wanted, and decided to write his own stories and create his own Facebook group. And good for him, I don't blame him one bit, but I do miss him. I don't do social media, but I suspect he's still got an AvengersUK Facebook page going. He really turned all that negative energy to something positive and creative, which is cool.

The Sword is Drawn is a different story. He was always so positive and optimistic through the dark times, but then he stopped posting without warning. He used to have a Marvel UK-centric blog, but that's no longer updated. I've always worried that his cancer returned and is the reason for his absence, but I don't know.

Anyway... pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    He is called captain avalon now.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

One of my favourite exchanges:

Alan Davis art:

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    He is not captain britain anymore
    He still is for many of us.

And always will.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    He is called captain avalon now.
    Hopefully not for long. Imagine if Bucky or Sam Wilson remained as Captain America or Odinson remained unworthy and never picked up the hammer again? Or even better, imagine your favourite "legacy" superhero change from being a female character to a male character or vice-versa and the original disappearing? We know Captain Britain as Brian Braddock or Brian Braddock as Captain Britain very much like many know Peter Parker as Spider-Man or Janet van Dyne as Wasp. There's another Spider-Man on the block called Miles Morales and that's fine. Heck, there's a ton of Spider characters all shapes and sizes including Spider-UK, a cross between Spidey and Cap Britain. There's also another Wasp. This is all fine, but the originals are still around.

Brian Braddock is the original Captain Britain and always will be.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post

Hopefully not for long. Imagine if Bucky or Sam Wilson remained as Captain America or Odinson remained unworthy and never picked up the hammer again? Or even better, imagine your favourite "legacy" superhero change from being a female character to a male character or vice-versa and the original disappearing? We know Captain Britain as Brian Braddock or Brian Braddock as Captain Britain very much like many know Peter Parker as Spider-Man or Janet van Dyne as Wasp. There's another Spider-Man on the block called Miles Morales and that's fine. Heck, there's a ton of Spider characters all shapes and sizes including Spider-UK, a cross between Spidey and Cap Britain. There's also another Wasp. This is all fine, but the originals are still around.

Brian Braddock is the original Captain Britain and always will be.
    Hrm...I have a feeling that current status quo is going to be around awhile. Marvel is in a tough spot with Betsy Braddock. They absolutely cannot make her an Asian Ninja again because of very very legitimate issues of political correctness.

But if she reverts to just being the purple haired telepath as she was pre-transformation that feels like a real demotion. And she is a more important character to Marvel than Brian, just by nature of being a featured X-Men for over 30 years (I mean she's really been a key X-Men for a long long time, with only brief windows where she wasn't on one of the teams).

So making her Captain Britain is a really elegant solution to the Betsy Braddock "problem" but obviously its a blow to Brian fans. But I don't see how Marvel backs out on this plot development for quite awhile. Its gives Betsy Braddock a role and purpose again and again, she's a far more "important" character than her brother is.

Thank you for the kind words, Raffi. I'm sad at the way Brian Braddock has been treated, but he's not alone in being treated badly - lots of characters are getting negative development at the moment. It does make me cross, but there is nothing to be done but post in here with other people who love the character.

Willow16 stopped having faith that Marvel would give us a Brian Braddock we wanted, and decided to write his own stories and create his own Facebook group. And good for him, I don't blame him one bit, but I do miss him. I don't do social media, but I suspect he's still got an AvengersUK Facebook page going. He really turned all that negative energy to something positive and creative, which is cool.

The Sword is Drawn is a different story. He was always so positive and optimistic through the dark times, but then he stopped posting without warning. He used to have a Marvel UK-centric blog, but that's no longer updated. I've always worried that his cancer returned and is the reason for his absence, but I don't know.

Anyway... pictures!
    That's great that Willow616 has immersed himself with AvengersUK. I remember when he used to post about it. IzzY World also as he took on the illustrating. I used to read The Sword is Drawn's blog - good stuff. I hope they are all doing ok.

Btw, classic pages you posted of Brian and Betsy as Brian recaps his origin and what he'd previously gone through. Fantastic stuff from Captain Britain #1 (1985) by Jamie Delano & Alan Davis.