Incredible Member

Default What's the holdup on a new ongoing for Captain America?

So I don't even really read the ongoing but I just realized Ta-Nehisi Coates's run ended in July and there's been no mention of a new volume or much speculation of a new creative team I wonder if this was planned and the multiple mini series involving Cap (United States of Captain America, Captain America/Iron Man) are being used as a stopgap of sorts.

Also does anyone have any preferences for the creative team for the next volume?

I'd like to see Christopher Priest as the writer, to finally have a chance to write the "main" Captain America book. He's already written a recent US Agent mini, and roughly 20 years ago he wrote a Cap & Falcon series that ended up ending before two years were up.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    So I don't even really read the ongoing but I just realized Ta-Nehisi Coates's run ended in July and there's been no mention of a new volume or much speculation of a new creative team I wonder if this was planned and the multiple mini series involving Cap (United States of Captain America, Captain America/Iron Man) are being used as a stopgap of sorts.

Also does anyone have any preferences for the creative team for the next volume?
    There’s a Captain America/Iron Man miniseries now .

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'd like to see Christopher Priest as the writer, to finally have a chance to write the "main" Captain America book. He's already written a recent US Agent mini, and roughly 20 years ago he wrote a Cap & Falcon series that ended up ending before two years were up.
    To the utmost, I agree! Priest would be an excellent choice (IMHO):

Fantastic Member

Said this in another thread, I just don’t want ‘woke’ Steve. I’m not a fan of the replacing him plot point anymore either. I want spies, intrigue, SHIELD maybe, but a moratorium on the Red Skull. You can toss in a Thor adventure, keep tension between Steve and Stark, that spills into the Avengers, take on some real world issues like trafficking, drug smuggling, Sam, Bucky, Sharon and/or Natasha as the supporting cast as needed. What about the Commission that took his shield away under Gruenwald, how about investigating a new twist on that? Gimme the Serpents, Diamondback, even Songbird, Zemo? I read in another forum about Cap/ The Avengers/FF as advocates for mutants. Run with that. Have Norman Osborn lurking somewhere. Steve’s rogues gallery is large, I only brought up Osborn as someone non conventional. Steve could unearth this JANUS cabal, no? The cynic in me says that Marvel hasn’t gotten a PC enough pitch yet and are throwing this current dreck out there for the time being. I wouldn’t mind Priest, or go older with a guy like Dan Jurgens, who can write and draw a book. I’m not asking for a Brubaker redux or even Kurt Busiek, but I’m looking for some adventure for my favorite character. Delve deeper into the Winter Soldier and the past, but in present day. That one just came to me, But keep the Skull away for a spell please…my .02..
    Last edited by Jely4me; 12-11-2021 at 08:08 PM.

I wonder if Marvel's internally debating whether to give the next Cap ongoing to Sam.

Extraordinary Member

I think they're waiting to see what to do whether it's a Steve ongoing, a Cap one or pushing Carter into 616

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if Marvel's internally debating whether to give the next Cap ongoing to Sam.
    FalconCap already had a book, didn't he?

It's not like Marvel can't do both. I mean, they had BuckyCap and Steve Rogers Super Soldier at the same time, IIRC.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I hope they consider doing both or have another book with all the Americas with Falcon as the lead.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Yeah, they should either do two Cap books or have Steve and Sam co-star, both in their Captain America costumes. Either way, keep Sam as a Cap. If Champions comes back, keep Joaquin Torres on the team as Falcon, or if Sam has his own book, use Joaquin there. Sam as Falcon doesn't sell.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I think they're waiting to see what to do whether it's a Steve ongoing, a Cap one or pushing Carter into 616
    I don't think we need Carter in 616.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    FalconCap already had a book, didn't he?

It's not like Marvel can't do both. I mean, they had BuckyCap and Steve Rogers Super Soldier at the same time, IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I hope they consider doing both or have another book with all the Americas with Falcon as the lead.
    I don't think the Cap line needs an ensemble or can hold two books, but I might be thinking too cynically on this.

Astonishing Member

Probably need to see how much damage will be inflicted by the Avengers/X-Men storyline in the spring.

That said, I would be shocked if there isn’t al least a mini in the future