Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Captain Britain covers by Alan Davis:

I was a huge Captain Britain fan when his own mag (above) was published, but I only ever managed to find two issues when they were on sale in the newsagents! I remember being shocked and disappointed to learn that the Jasper's Warp storyline had ended and Alan Moore was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I was a huge Captain Britain fan when his own mag (above) was published, but I only ever managed to find two issues when they were on sale in the newsagents! I remember being shocked and disappointed to learn that the Jasper's Warp storyline had ended and Alan Moore was gone.
    Yes the newsagents were hit or miss in those days. I'd learnt from the gaps in my Jaspers Warp storyline and subscribed to Captain Britain monthly. Didn't stop it only running for 14 issues though, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Milk Tray Man View Post
    Yes the newsagents were hit or miss in those days. I'd learnt from the gaps in my Jaspers Warp storyline and subscribed to Captain Britain monthly. Didn't stop it only running for 14 issues though, sadly.
    Those CB magazines came out just at the time my brother and I checked out of comics as we decided that we need to "grow up". 25 years later I get sucked back in again. 35 years later, I've amassed a large collection of collected editions and floppies to add to those single issues from the late 70s/early 80s

But I do remember having problems collecting the magazines. I'm missing 2 or so issues from the "The Daredevils" 11-issue run but had hardly any problems picking up the Marvel UK weeklies such as The Incredible Hulk where I had a complete run.

I missed so many issues. I relied on my parents to pick them up for me from the shops, and they weren't particularly successful. I think I ended up with 2 copies each of issues 1,3&4 of the Daredevils (the duplicates of which I gave away to an American friend when he was visiting), but #7, 8 and 11 completely eluded me. I never got a chance to see Mighty World of Marvel until years later after rifling through a pile of back issues in a shop. Picked up a few more at the London comic convention UKCAC several years later, which was like a dream (that's where I acquired the last few issues of The Jasper's Warp storyline, and I was beyond happy! Of course, this was before the US reprints (which kind of suck with that colouring, but still...) allowed me to see the whole story), and probably my most successful single day of buying comics.

I like having the B&W digital copies on a HD somewhere (those issues are best large and B&W, imo), and of course do not regret asking for the CB Omnibus, which at least reprints the UK published stuff at the right size. Great book, that.

I missed so many issues. I relied on my parents to pick them up for me from the shops, and they weren't particularly successful. I think I ended up with 2 copies each of issues 1,3&4 of the Daredevils (the duplicates of which I gave away to an American friend when he was visiting), but #7, 8 and 11 completely eluded me. I never got a chance to see Mighty World of Marvel until years later after rifling through a pile of back issues in a shop. Picked up a few more at the London comic convention UKCAC several years later, which was like a dream (that's where I acquired the last few issues of The Jasper's Warp storyline, and I was beyond happy! Of course, this was before the US reprints (which kind of suck with that colouring, but still...) allowed me to see the whole story), and probably my most successful single day of buying comics.

I like having the B&W digital copies on a HD somewhere (those issues are best large and B&W, imo), and of course do not regret asking for the CB Omnibus, which at least reprints the UK published stuff at the right size. Great book, that.
    I just checked through which I'm missing. With regards to "The Daredevils", I own issues 1-4 and 6-9 and I'm missing issues 5, 10 and 11. Of "Mighty World of Marvel", I have issues 1-5, 8-10, 13 & 16. It was really hit and miss in locating those Marvel UK magazines. How come you relied on your parents if you don't mind me asking? My brother and I used to go to the local SPAR or at times go down into town. I'm also very glad to own the Omnibus, one of my absolute favourite Omnibuses. It's out of print and going for ridiculously high prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I just checked through which I'm missing. With regards to "The Daredevils", I own issues 1-4 and 6-9 and I'm missing issues 5, 10 and 11. Of "Mighty World of Marvel", I have issues 1-5, 8-10, 13 & 16. It was really hit and miss in locating those Marvel UK magazines. How come you relied on your parents if you don't mind me asking? My brother and I used to go to the local SPAR or at times go down into town. I'm also very glad to own the Omnibus, one of my absolute favourite Omnibuses. It's out of print and going for ridiculously high prices.
    No really good reason. I was a very nervous, shy child at the time (I guess I must have been about 12) who wasn't in the habit of going to the shops by myself, and my family had just moved back to the UK from abroad and didn't know anyone. Neither my sister or I were given pocket-money at the time iirc, my mother would just buy us what we asked for (within reason, of course). Looking back on it, my parents were a little overprotective, though I imagine me having a sister rather than a brother probably meant it would be a bit more worrying to let us walk into town on our own (no local shops that sold comics - town was it for comics).

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Marvel Reportedly Wants Henry Cavill For Captain Britain:

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...ptain-britain/
    We made this **** up is not a reliable source. But I would love to see Cavill in the role, especially since DC is dragging their feet on making another Man of Steel movie.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

No really good reason. I was a very nervous, shy child at the time (I guess I must have been about 12) who wasn't in the habit of going to the shops by myself, and my family had just moved back to the UK from abroad and didn't know anyone. Neither my sister or I were given pocket-money at the time iirc, my mother would just buy us what we asked for (within reason, of course). Looking back on it, my parents were a little overprotective, though I imagine me having a sister rather than a brother probably meant it would be a bit more worrying to let us walk into town on our own (no local shops that sold comics - town was it for comics).
    Thanks for sharing. It looks like we're of similar ages. I was pretty shy myself but it helped immensely having a brother and we both loved Marvel comics. We would try and get all the Marvel UK weeklies. My brother was a massive Spider-Man fan and would pick up the weekly as well as the US Spidey comics. It was a pretty fun time when the Incredible Hulk TV series started, waiting for it on the Friday night and then collecting the weekly comic. We would find older issues in second-hand book stores or market places.

Captain Britain by Inhyuk Lee:

Captain Britain headshot by Mike Lynch:

The Two Captains side by side:

Captain Britain by Alan Davis and Paul Neary:

Captain Britain rough pencils by Drew Moss:

I know we're not all fans of the new Excalibur run, but they are churning out some decent artwork!

Brian and Jamie looking badass
    Excalibur_Vol_4_15_Coello_Variant_Textless.jpg
    Last edited by Knightmare; 02-04-2021 at 09:11 AM.