Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Is anyone in this thread following the Excalibur comic? I'm not because I don't trust the writer to make Brian anything more than a prop for Betsy, but I wondered if anyone here was currently braving those waters and could tell me how bad it is for CB fans?
    I stopped following a while back too

Is anyone in this thread following the Excalibur comic? I'm not because I don't trust the writer to make Brian anything more than a prop for Betsy, but I wondered if anyone here was currently braving those waters and could tell me how bad it is for CB fans?
    I've been reading it. It turned out exactly as you expected, Brian has had his job/name taken and given to Betsy. He's now Captain Avalon and defends the King(Jamie Braddock(Monarch)) and Avalon. Out of site, out of mind!

brian fans went from not having any brian appearances in like 15 years to getting brian drawn by pepe larraz and r.b. silva with a nice new costume
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    brian fans went from not having any brian appearances in like 15 years to getting brian drawn by pepe larraz and r.b. silva with a nice new costume
    ....and being written by Howard, so it's a real monkey's paw situation.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    ....and being written by Howard, so it's a real monkey's paw situation.
    Tini's work has improved tremendously since around Excalibur #9 and I think anybody who doesn't know this probably hasn't been reading the book for a while.

My thoughts on the current Excalibur run. I am still struggling with the Excalibur issues. I keep buying as it's a novelty seeing Brian and Meggan in print, even if I don't love Tini's writing. It's a bit better but too much still happens off panel with an assumption the reader will fill in the gaps (maybe I'm just too thick to fill in the gaps). But the Braddock's actually do alright. They'd be better focusing on them tbh (not that it would get the sales needed to support the book), as they tend to be the best parts of the book. If I were a gambit, Jubilee, or Rogue fan I'd be pretty frustrated.
    The whole mutant magic thing that the comic was supposed to be about is still pretty vague and unexplained. Of course the giving Betsy Brian's identity to get Marvel out of the whole Asian body stealing Psylocke mess still burns and I wish they hadn't screwed Brian over. The disconnect of having a Captain Britain focused on mutants/Krakoa doesn't really work. On the plus side Brian had some nice moments in the Xof swords event and some lovely panels in the finale.

Quote Originally Posted by freemach View Post
    My thoughts on the current Excalibur run. I am still struggling with the Excalibur issues. I keep buying as it's a novelty seeing Brian and Meggan in print, even if I don't love Tini's writing. It's a bit better but too much still happens off panel with an assumption the reader will fill in the gaps (maybe I'm just too thick to fill in the gaps). But the Braddock's actually do alright. They'd be better focusing on them tbh (not that it would get the sales needed to support the book), as they tend to be the best parts of the book. If I were a gambit, Jubilee, or Rogue fan I'd be pretty frustrated.
    The whole mutant magic thing that the comic was supposed to be about is still pretty vague and unexplained. Of course the giving Betsy Brian's identity to get Marvel out of the whole Asian body stealing Psylocke mess still burns and I wish they hadn't screwed Brian over. The disconnect of having a Captain Britain focused on mutants/Krakoa doesn't really work. On the plus side Brian had some nice moments in the Xof swords event and some lovely panels in the finale.
    Well that's nice to know. I tend to expect the worst when it comes to US Marvel's treatment of Brian.

Extraordinary Member

I'm a long time Captain Britain fan. I don't see why Betsy was not remade as Captain Avalon, instead.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

It burns many of us

Good to know, however, that Brian is still being kept alive on some kind of "life-support".

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I'm a long time Captain Britain fan. I don't see why Betsy was not remade as Captain Avalon, instead.
    Now that would be a good solution. Unfortunately, without going into it, I fear that the current status quo has been created as Marvel is pandering towards certain groups at the cost of Brian Braddock fans.

A piece made for @PortfolioDay by @phase_runner:

The most annoying thing about Tini Howards Excalibur/X of Swords run isn't so much that the characters were changed up. That happens all the time in comics, mostly characters end up eventually going back to the status quo. What she has done to the Captain Britain mythos... well that I think will not be changing back and will become the new normal.

The old Otherworld is gone, in it's place...

No explanation for the change, no explanation for previous dead character now being alive and no explanation for why Saturnyne is now ruler of Otherworld while Merlyn and Roma run vassel kingdoms under her rule.

Last edited by Knightmare; 02-18-2021 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
    The most annoying thing about Tini Howards Excalibur/X of Swords run isn't so much that the characters were changed up. That happens all the time in comics, mostly characters end up eventually going back to the status quo. What she has done to the Captain Britain mythos... well that I think will not be changing back and will become the new normal.

The old Otherworld is gone, in it's place...

No explanation for the change, no explanation for previous dead character now being alive and no explanation for why Saturnyne is now ruler of Otherworld while Merlyn and Roma run vassel kingdoms under her rule.

See, I hate this garbage. Jonathan Hickman doesn't write comics, he writes instruction manuals with pretty pictures. It's like Ikea has a comics line.

The only real taste of Marvel UK in the Marvel May 2021 solicitations:

THE UNION #5 (Of 5)
    PAUL GRIST (W) • ANDREA DI VITO (A/C)
    Variant Cover by LEE GARBETT
    THE DRAMATIC FINALE!
    Doc Croc has defeated Union Jack and the team!
    But can this truly be the end of the line for our new heroes?
    Or can they receive one last push to pull it together?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    The only real taste of Marvel UK in the Marvel May 2021 solicitations:

THE UNION #5 (Of 5)
    PAUL GRIST (W) • ANDREA DI VITO (A/C)
    Variant Cover by LEE GARBETT
    THE DRAMATIC FINALE!
    Doc Croc has defeated Union Jack and the team!
    But can this truly be the end of the line for our new heroes?
    Or can they receive one last push to pull it together?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Love Union Jack and love Di Vito. Is this any good? The whole "Led by the greatest most perfect heroine no one's ever heard of Britania", sort of turned me off. I hate these "forcefully inserted" characters, when there are so many other to pick from.

Peace

Astonishing Member

Whose the short orange guy?