Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: X-men Monday 92

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Al Ewing did it in 1. With Peepers. Peepers.
    Peepers! So far the most delightful surprise of RoX.
    My flag is bacon.

As usual, nothing for Gambit and Rogue fans to get excited about. Also, as usual, she has some interesting ideas and thoughts in the interview, but it is pretty much a certainty that none of them will make it to the page. I actually liked her answer about Rictor, it is just too bad that absolutely none of it really made the translation to the actual comic's characterization of Rictor. He has been the worst characterized character in the title for me personally.

Excalibur is the most boring X-Title and Howard is completely wasting its incredible cast and locations, and it doesn't look like that is going to change anytime soon, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Mutant magic *eye roll* no one cares about it and she still hasn’t even properly explained or elaborated upon it.
    She does this seed dropping stuff but gives no teases or hints. Yeah I’m very concerned about the Betsy/Kwannon issues going by this interview. She’s just not executed things well. The way she talks about ideas is better than when she writes her ideas into stories. New writer please.
    Yep, mutant magic has been a big dud and I don't have high hopes for how she handles the Betsy/Kwannon issue. Talk about the worst writer in the line to handle that. It has been beyond obvious that she has no real familiarity with most of the characters in her care.

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherclassic View Post
    I think I would like Excalibur more if everyone not named Braddock was dropped from the book, and it was no longer billed as a *team* book. I like the Braddock/Otherworld stuff, but I also can't help but be distracted about how poorly she writes the other characters, likely as a result of how clearly little she cares about them.
    I wish I was at least able to enjoy the Braddock/Otherworld stuff. I have always greatly enjoyed the Captain Britain and Excalibur titles in the past and I am a fan of Betsy, but everything falls flat in this title. She has mishandled everything and Brian has been the second worst characterized character in the book after Rictor for me.

Quote Originally Posted by braddocks View Post
    Some very interesting bits in this interview! I’m particularly looking forward to seeing Krakoa’s reaction to the team and the new connection to Avalon. “Sister kingdoms” is a really curious way of phrasing the relationship.
    That sentence from the interview actually bothered me the most. I think it is disturbing how Apocalypse set up this puppet kingdom with such a unstable psychopath like Jamie in charge. And then to call them "sister kingdoms"! It's warped!

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    the last issue was one of the best im excited to see where this goes ! the question abt Brians Avalon powers got my wheels turning
    Good luck with that. I could be wrong, but I don't see Howard ever explaining how Brian's powers are different now. I mean we have gone 16 issues now without a clear explanation or demonstration of how Betsy is different as Captain Britain. Add on the fact that she doesn't seem super familiar with how most of the rest of the book's characters' powers actually work, I just don't have much confidence that we will get anything satisfactorily on that score.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Also it cannot be a title one can drop so easily since it is a critical piece of the Hickman's X-Line.
    And this is what is most frustrating to me. Hickman and the Krakoan era in general has been super carrying this title and Howard. Excalibur would have been canceled or greatly shaken up long before now in a normal comic environment. Especially with how poorly received it has been creatively.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    I would criticize Excalibur more for neglecting most of its cast, but my fave book Marauders is also guilty of the same crime, so I feel like I have no right to talk lol.
    Excalibur - Betsy & Brian
    Marauders - Kitty Pryde & Emma

It's more like a solo.

So basically Peter Wisdom is a fan of Real Madrid and some other excalibur stuff I am really less interested in... Good taste Peter!

Last edited by darkalamator; 01-19-2021 at 03:45 AM.
    Primum vivere deindre philosophare

Quote Originally Posted by darkalamator View Post
    So basically Peter Wisdom is a fan of Real Madrid and some other excalibur stuff I am really less interested in... Good taste Peter!

A bit odd. Wisdom is born and lives in London. Yet he has a RM jersey? Even if it's just to piss off his coworkers it seems a bit far fetched. They have Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, West ham, Fulham, Crystal Palace in London. All with different identities and regions.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    A bit odd. Wisdom is born and lives in London. Yet he has a RM jersey? Even if it's just to piss off his coworkers it seems a bit far fetched. They have Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, West ham, Fulham, Crystal Palace in London. All with different identities and regions.
    It's not uncommon for people to prefer an international highly regarded football club over those from their home countries or regions. The top football clubs tend to make a lot of profit from selling merch and advertising themself across the world to people of all kinds of nationality after all. By providing the image of these almost divine "gods of the sports", clearly above and beyond the "dirty peasant" choices of regional clubs even of their respective 1st leagues.
    Which is likely because it feels more satisfying to be a fan of a team that has a great track records in constantly winning matches and has people from across the world cheering them, rather than having to deal with the constant up and downs of supporting a regional club.

This often leads to a kind of self fullfilling prophecy level of fandom. The fans support a team because it keeps winning, said support involves buying merch, giving the club a lot more money than their competition, allowing them to buy more expensive players and trainers, resulting in having a better track record at winning, which attracts people who like to cheer a constantly winning team.

In addition to that there are some other possibile reasons for Pete to support RM over a london based club.
    Maybe he doesn't like any of these clubs and doesn't feel the need to be attached to them just because they are those of the area he was born in. Or feels like being a fan of Real Madrid makes him look more cosmopolitan instead of a rural english fanboy. Maybe he is also a bigger fan of them than the mentioned clubs because he thinks they are the much better team/club.

All aspects which would fit into Wisdom's character.

Nothing is odd about it in basketball I liked Lebron, Vince Carter,Penny Hardway and Kobe. In football I like Micheal Vick,Randy Moss, Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders. Even if you have a favorite team from the place where you are from, You also can have favorite players from different teams.

I think it might be an Arsenal shirt, actually. They’re also sponsored by the Emirates, and their badge is a shield shape (like the one in the art). Real Madrid’s badge is circular.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Nothing is odd about it in basketball I liked Lebron, Vince Carter,Penny Hardway and Kobe. In football I like Micheal Vick,Randy Moss, Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders. Even if you have a favorite team from the place where you are from, You also can have favorite players from different teams.
    Another valid aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by braddocks View Post
    I think it might be an Arsenal shirt, actually. They’re also sponsored by the Emirates, and their badge is a shield shape (like the one in the art). Real Madrid’s badge is circular.
    And that would make all the explaining pointless. Good observation.

Nope. It is Real Madrid gear, not the Arsenal´s.... compare:

Real Madrid (plain white)

Arsenal (red and white)

and of course..Real Madrid is the best club in the World (FIFA says, not me ...): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_C...ecember%202000.

Hala Madrid!

;-)
    Primum vivere deindre philosophare

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    It's not uncommon for people to prefer an international highly regarded football club over those from their home countries or regions. The top football clubs tend to make a lot of profit from selling merch and advertising themself across the world to people of all kinds of nationality after all. By providing the image of these almost divine "gods of the sports", clearly above and beyond the "dirty peasant" choices of regional clubs even of their respective 1st leagues.
    Which is likely because it feels more satisfying to be a fan of a team that has a great track records in constantly winning matches and has people from across the world cheering them, rather than having to deal with the constant up and downs of supporting a regional club.

This often leads to a kind of self fullfilling prophecy level of fandom. The fans support a team because it keeps winning, said support involves buying merch, giving the club a lot more money than their competition, allowing them to buy more expensive players and trainers, resulting in having a better track record at winning, which attracts people who like to cheer a constantly winning team.

In addition to that there are some other possibile reasons for Pete to support RM over a london based club.
    Maybe he doesn't like any of these clubs and doesn't feel the need to be attached to them just because they are those of the area he was born in. Or feels like being a fan of Real Madrid makes him look more cosmopolitan instead of a rural english fanboy. Maybe he is also a bigger fan of them than the mentioned clubs because he thinks they are the much better team/club.

All aspects which would fit into Wisdom's character.
    Normally I would have agreed with you but the British are quite proud of their premier league. Especially now when it’s considered the worlds premier. Few countries are so particular about their teams and the social identity that being a supporter of said team brings.

So it’s not impossible by any stretch and leap. It’s just an odd choice.

Arsenal have a white kit this season as well, so only using their red one doesn’t really fit as an argument.
    Earlier in Excalibur, Pete’s flat has either a Villa or West Ham shirt, so I’m fairly certain he’s sticking to his local league.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Considering how the Premier League works the jersey could also belong to a British player he follows.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by darkalamator View Post
    Nope. It is Real Madrid gear, not the Arsenal´s.... compare:

Real Madrid (plain white)

Arsenal (red and white)

and of course..Real Madrid is the best club in the World (FIFA says, not me ...): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_C...ecember%202000.

Hala Madrid!

;-)
    actually it clearly says "Ewirates" so neither of you are right

https://twitter.com/fleetwhud/status...15584919359488

It was even mentioned on twitter, Marcus To replied.

As for the interview, I'll wait and see how Betsy/Kwannon encounter will look like.
    But lack of answer about Gambit... didn't left a good feel.