Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Garth: Aqualad, Tempest Appreciation 2021

Tempest

Garth, also known as Tempest, was the first Aqualad and the former protege of Aquaman. He was a founding member of the Teen Titans and later the Titans.

He is the least featured member of Fab Five in the comics, especially of late, which is a shame. He was also the only one of them without a appreciation thread, so i made this one and the little image of him across the eras and medias.

Hopefully 2021 has more opportunities for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Tempest

Garth, also known as Tempest, was the first Aqualad and the former protege of Aquaman. He was a founding member of the Teen Titans and later the Titans.

He is the least featured member of Fab Five in the comics, especially of late, which is a shame. He was also the only one of them without a appreciation thread, so i made this one and the little image of him across the eras and medias.

Its a real shame that this character has been discarded in this manner. I don't see that much opportunity ahead for Garth, he is practically a no show anymore in comics. Even in Aquaman, Jackson has replaced him of late, but if an Aquaman book is back with Arthur and Mera front and centre, there will be less space for both Jackson and Garth especially that now there is also Andy, who is gaining lots of attention.
    However I will never understand why Garth has been sidelined.

Happy New Year to Garth !

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Yup. His upgrade to Tempest and his control of Atlantean magic was a good way to make him more than simply 'Aquaman Junior'.
    Poor guy has been SERIOUSLY screwed over by TPTB at DC.
    When was the last time Garth was front & centre in a book??
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Here's hoping 2021 will be a busy year for Garth

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Yup. His upgrade to Tempest and his control of Atlantean magic was a good way to make him more than simply 'Aquaman Junior'.
    Poor guy has been SERIOUSLY screwed over by TPTB at DC.
    When was the last time Garth was front & centre in a book??
    If I am correct he appeared briefly in Abnett's run helping Mera with the crown of thorns.

BTW - In the wedding in KSD's last issue, he appears just as a wallpaper after years not seen.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Tempest

I like the red look best
    Ew, that's what he looks like in live action? Is it Smallville? Smallville I remember don't have my favorite designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I like the red look best
    Ew, that's what he looks like in live action? Is it Smallville? Smallville I remember don't have my favorite designs.
    No, that's the Titans. It's not bad in the episode, i actually liked a lot.

No, that's the Titans. It's not bad in the episode, i actually liked a lot.
    yes it was, and it only increases the regrets of how this character has been actually forgotten in comics. I really would like to know the reasons why this happened?

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    yes it was
    I liked his costume, i found very on par with the other ones, cause i like most of them. The worst part is that he got killed.

Visually this series is fine to great most of the time, the problem is the script and i keep hoping they going to solve this in season 3.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Yes, the red outfit is much better.
    I loved Garth version in Titans too, and I agree with Drako that script is the weakest link of Titans show. Anyway it's not so bad and kept me hooked till now.
    Sadly Garth has often been forgotten. He got some spotlight in the 90's, after that he started a downhill culminated in his death in Blackest Night.
    Since New 52 Garth has become again impalpable.

Yeah, he had just become the king of Atlantis and, like most of the Titans, got killed in an event that had nothing to do with him for shock value.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    Yes, the red outfit is much better.
    I loved Garth version in Titans too, and I agree with Drako that script is the weakest link of Titans show. Anyway it's not so bad and kept me hooked till now.
    Sadly Garth has often been forgotten. He got some spotlight in the 90's, after that he started a downhill culminated in his death in Blackest Night.
    Since New 52 Garth has become again impalpable.
    He was sidelined I believe for a reason, they wanted a character that appealed to diversity and Garth does not have those requirements. Since New 52 ten years have passed and nobody used the character again with a brief exception by abnett, so its must be editorial input.

Aqualad (Garth) and Aquagirl (Tula):

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. I (March 1985)

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I liked Garth a lot on the TITANS show. I thought that episode had the makings of a better show. Dick, Donna, Garth, Dawn, and Hank are a great line up. Add in Starfire and Raven (with a lot of the focus on her) and you have yourself a great main cast. Cool headquarters. Fighting Deathstroke and some other classic villains. A nice stew.

The show is too unfocused and tries to introduce way too many characters, but that would have been a great team to zero in on for a few seasons. Plus, ya know, Garth is fun.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-30-2021 at 09:41 PM.