Default Golden Age Invisible Hood (Kent Thurston) <Quality Comics> Appreciation 2021

First appearance: Smash Comics #1 (August 1939)

And in the following issue, Thurston actually gains the ability to become invisible.

Astonishing Member

Thanks, MajorHoy.

And in the following issue, Thurston actually gains the ability to become invisible.

Pity that (or something similar) didn't happen to more DC golden age characters.

From Smash Comics #2 (September 1939):

From Smash Comics #3 October 1939):

Invisble Hood's first appearance in a DC comic book was in All-Star Squadron #31-32 (March and April 1984)

But after Crisis on Infinite Earths, when Roy Thomas retconned Miss America into being a replacement for the Golden Age Wonder Woman in Justice Society of America stories, Invisible Hood was also retconned into surviving the attack that originally killed him and several other Quality Comics characters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Invisble Hood's first appearance in a DC comic book was in All-Star Squadron #31-32 (March and April 1984)

But after Crisis on Infinite Earths, when Roy Thomas retconned Miss America into being a replacement for the Golden Age Wonder Woman in Justice Society of America stories, Invisible Hood was also retconned into surviving the attack that originally killed him and several other Quality Comics characters.
    I hated this issue.

I thought it was wasteful then...and I still do.

Quality character had powers while many DC characters were mystery men. And their updated costumes looked good.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I hated this issue.

I thought it was wasteful then...and I still do.

Quality character had powers while many DC characters were mystery men. And their updated costumes looked good.
    A lot of the Quality characters were also of the costumed mystery men variety with no real "powers" or duplication of powers that other DC characters had. As for the Joan Dale version of "Miss America", Marvel comics (specifically, Roy Thomas!) had earlier brought back the Timely Comics' character with that name. So while I wasn't thrilled with Roy killing off a few lesser-known Quality Comics characters just to provide motivation / a new origin for the Freedom Fighters, on the other hand it was sort of understandable. Besides, there was a war going on, and war means there will be casualties.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    A lot of the Quality characters were also of the costumed mystery men variety with no real "powers" or duplication of powers that other DC characters had. As for the Joan Dale version of "Miss America", Marvel comics (specifically, Roy Thomas!) had earlier brought back the Timely Comics' character with that name. So while I wasn't thrilled with Roy killing off a few lesser-known Quality Comics characters just to provide motivation / a new origin for the Freedom Fighters, on the other hand it was sort of understandable. Besides, there was a war going on, and war means there will be casualties.
    Golden-age DC had Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Neptune Perkins, Flash, Johnny Quick, magicians, adventurers (e.g. cowboys) and many costumed men who used a gadget and/or fists.
    Quality had magicians, adventurers (e.g. cowboys), guys with a gadget and/or fists and Magno, Neon, Miss America, Wildfire, Wonder Boy, Red Bee, Spider Widow, Plastic Man, Doll Man, Human Bomb, Kid Eternity, Black Condor and Captain Triumph.

I mostly see duplication of powers within DC characters. I see Quality characters with a wider variety of super-powers; I would say many were 'Spider-Man' level in power.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 05-18-2021 at 07:09 PM.

The Invisible Hood was "seen" (so to speak) in the group picture of the All-Star Squadron from 1986's History of the DC Universe.