Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6465253545556
    Astonishing Member

Isn't that more the fault of Marvel being obsessed with persecuting mutants instead of letting them evolve?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Isn't that more the fault of Marvel being obsessed with persecuting mutants instead of letting them evolve?
    Uh maybe but I'm just referring to the 616 in universe reason
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Uh maybe but I'm just referring to the 616 in universe reason
    Ok. I'm just thinking Marvel would've done it anyway. Comics sometimes have problems actually evolving from what I've read

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Yeah, that much is true, and yes, there have been plenty of efforts in the past to weaponize and otherwise exploit mutants by governments and corporations, although usually from the standpoint of "takes a mutant to hunt/catch/kill a mutant." I do like Sutekh's post listing "better" ways to exploit and control mutants, mainly giving them everything they want in order to get them to do the bidding of their corporate/government paymasters, somewhat reminiscent of The Boys' deconstructive approach to the superhero genre and culture on Amazon Prime (and in the original comic version by Garth Ennis).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

IMO it also makes sense that some mutants would experiment on others.

IMO it also makes sense that some mutants would experiment on others.
    True enough. To make themselves more powerful. Not to mention the whole thing with the Hellfire Club for most of its history was rich mutants exploiting, manipulating, and abusing poorer mutants along with baseline humans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    True enough. To make themselves more powerful. Not to mention the whole thing with the Hellfire Club for most of its history was rich mutants exploiting, manipulating, and abusing poorer mutants along with baseline humans.
    Apocalypse also has a sort of "survival of thr fittest" which could align with eugenics in some ways, and mutants would be very useful to that.

Of course I understand the average person being afraid of their kid being a mutant with a dangerous power. And while some politicians could stoke that fear, doing a Weapon-X style program, or forming a Hellfire club seems more likely in a world with mutants IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Well they've had a hand in manipulating events on a global scale the inner circle is the group within the group that seeks global dominance using Mutant resources but that was only in part 80years or so
    Apocalypse also has a sort of "survival of thr fittest" which could align with eugenics in some ways, and mutants would be very useful to that.

Of course I understand the average person being afraid of their kid being a mutant with a dangerous power. And while some politicians could stoke that fear, doing a Weapon-X style program, or forming a Hellfire club seems more likely in a world with mutants IMHO
    I'm not sure I see the worry
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member

Well they've had a hand in manipulating events on a global scale the inner circle is the group within the group that seeks global dominance using Mutant resources but that was only in part 80years or so
    I'm not sure I see the worry
    Oh, what I'm saying is villains, both mutant and non-mutant, abusing other mutants' powers would be a more likely mutant villain scenario in the real world IMHO

You need a stake for a story… It’s not a documentary. What is the interest with mutants flourishing on a wonderful island?

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    You need a stake for a story… It’s not a documentary. What is the interest with mutants flourishing on a wonderful island?
    Ask all the people buying up X-Men lol

FrFr why do you think there's no stakes. If youre reading the comics you know that's not true
    GrindrStone(D)

Ask all the people buying up X-Men lol

FrFr why do you think there's no stakes. If youre reading the comics you know that's not true
    I didn’t say there was no stake: it isn’t just about mutants flourishing on a wonderful island. Otherwise it would be boring and no one would buy the issues. In my opinion, though, the stakes are a bit artificial now: haven’t the mutants found their Promise Land? All mutant, all happy…

Astonishing Member

Because mutant persecution isn't the only story mutants can do. The stakes could be more individual

Can mutants build a society that would solve their problems or are they doomed to fail?

That's a clear conflict and the driving force behind some of the titles.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Can mutants build a society that would solve their problems or are they doomed to fail?

That's a clear conflict and the driving force behind some of the titles.
    Pretty much, yeah. Society may be the "one good idea" humankind has had, though as we can see in real life, society is very hard to maintain in a way that fairly and equitably provides for the needs of everyone in it, and that leads to a lot of conflict and misery.