Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Happy Birthday to the late GREAT Gil Kane!!!

Today is the 90th birthday of the late great Gil Kane!
    Gil Kane pencilled this powerful moment from Amazing Spider-Man #121 and co-created Iron Fist (from Marvel Premiere #15).

When and What He Did at Timely/Atlas/Marvel: Artist doing regular work through the 1970s, with occasional work in the 1980s and 1990s.

Marvel-ous Accomplishments: Kane had already secured his status as a Silver Age legend by rebooting DC Comics’ Green Lantern with writer John Broome in 1959. In the 1970s, he extended that reputation to the Bronze Age with an historic run on The Amazing Spider-Man, penciling the memorable Death of Gwen Stacy issues, which were loosely adapted for the Amazing Spider-Man 2 film. His work on that series, however, is often eclipsed by John Romita Sr., the title’s previous and very popular artist who inked Kane’s pencils during this run. Kane also became Marvel’s cover artist for many of its titles through the 1970s and co-created Iron Fist, a character who will appear in his own Netflix series.

He's always been one of my favourite comic-book artists. I wonder how many comic-books I bought back in the day because of his fantastic covers.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Thanks for these links and images -- it's great to learn the history.

BANNED

http://thegreatcomicbookheroes.blogspot.nl/2015/04/happy-88th-birthday-gil-kane.html

BANNED

Iron Fist debuted in the pages of 1974’s Marvel Premiere #15, an origin tale from Roy Thomas and Gil Kane that is a a mixed cocktail of borrowed tropes (with a savage chaser). We first meet Danny Rand — the future Iron Fist — as a child, trudging through Himalayan snows with his mother, his father, and his father’s evil business partner, looking for the fabled city of K’un Lun, a kind of Shangri-La that opens to the outside world only once per decade. In short order, Danny’s father is kicked off a cliff by his partner (evil, remember?), cartwheeling and ragdolling off the rocks while young Danny looks on … and then if that wasn’t enough, after Danny and his mother are abandoned to die, Danny gets to watch his mom torn apart by starving wolves before he is rescued by the warrior monks of K’un Lun.

It’s enough to make you yearn for a benign origin, like watching your parents gunned down in a Gotham City alley,
    but this trauma is put to good use, as Danny is adopted into the mystical city of K’un Lun, and montages into a vengeance-fueled martial arts master,

eventually wrestling a dragon to the ground to steal the power of its heart,
    and refusing the gift of immortality to leave the city on a mission of vengeance when the gates reopen a decade later.

BANNED

Warlock emerges from his cocoon as the High Evolutionary watches.

Art by Gil Kane.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    He's always been one of my favourite comic-book artists. I wonder how many comic-books I bought back in the day because of his fantastic covers.
    And I'll never forget the many times I was disappointed because he wasn't the one doing the interior art. One of the all time greatest, no doubt.

Peace

BANNED

When the original Captain Marvel had to face the Hulk. Captain Marvel #21
    "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Peril View Post
    When the original Captain Marvel had to face the Hulk. Captain Marvel #21
    Those issues of Captain Marvel are the first that come to mind when I think of Kane's Marvel work. Other than the covers, of course.

Peace

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Such a great artist! And so many great covers.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Fantastic penciler, especially with the right inker. No one did dynamic like Kane.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Thanks for these links and images -- it's great to learn the history.
    He also did Static #31 (1996) for Milestone. The cover and inside content.