View Poll Results: Would you prefer if each hero inhabited their own Earth?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 52.00%
  • No

12 48.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Would you prefer if each hero inhabited their own Earth?

Simple yes or no question: would you prefer if each DC hero inhabited their own world?

A subject that's seemed to infect every thread recently is how WW and affiliated characters stack up against other characters within the DCU. Would giving each hero their own world alleviate/eliminate that problem? Or is how they stack up to other characters more important than the stories that could be told within that particular character's universe.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

For WW, I would say yes.

I think the characters who would lose out on not being in a shared universe would be ones created to be on teams (most of the Titans) or ones created after the shared universe was pretty solidified.

Maybe not every hero, but I do believe there are some characters that would be better off on their own.

Wonder Woman is absolutely one of them.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Yes for Wonder Woman

Im going to assume this means more 'the Wonder Woman family' and not just Diana specifically.

That said, yeah, id honestly prefer that in all honesty. Props to writers for making an emphasis on Diana being a team player, but I can't say her comic book history has really been improved much if any by sharing a universe with other heroes.

I doubt Wonder Woman would still be around today if she wasn't part of the DC universe. We certainly wouldn't have a Wonder Woman movie with Man of Steel and Batman v Superman.

And I love all the ways she can interact with the rest of the jniverse. Case in point, Deadman's role in the current run by Cloonrad

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I doubt Wonder Woman would still be around today if she wasn't part of the DC universe. We certainly wouldn't have a Wonder Woman movie with Man of Steel and Batman v Superman.

And I love all the ways she can interact with the rest of the jniverse. Case in point, Deadman's role in the current run by Cloonrad
    Wasn't it a thing that DC had to keep on publishing a WW book to keep the rights from going back to the Marston estate or was that just a rumor?

As for the WW movie thing, that would've been quite a shame. WW always deserved a movie as great as her first one regardless of Superman and Batman.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 02-14-2022 at 05:31 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Mighty Member

Wonder Woman is 1 of the superheroes where this would make sense, but you still need good writing and more, so it is not like that would let alone would have magically solved all the issues.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Wonder Woman is 1 of the superheroes where this would make sense, but you still need good writing and more, so it is not like that would let alone would have magically solved all the issues.
    Agreed.

10 characters.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Both of these.

As much that WW gains by being solo, she also loses by being solo. But the character is only as good as her main title, if that isnt up to par then it wont do any good by being solo. Batman being part of the greater universe doesn't change how appealing he is in his own books and stories that get adapted left and right. Same goes for Superman.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Both of these.

As much that WW gains by being solo, she also loses by being solo. But the character is only as good as her main title, if that isnt up to par then it wont do any good by being solo. Batman being part of the greater universe doesn't change how appealing he is in his own books and stories that get adapted left and right. Same goes for Superman.
    When the only reason to keep her in shared universe is that we would get to see more of her is not a good reason. When 95% of th stuff we see from her is bad and just terrible treatment all around.

Batman and Superman have never been as mistreated as WW, not even close. And sexism has never affected them for obvious reasons. WW doesn't have anything to lose. Her lore would have a lot to gain by being solo.

Extraordinary Member

I really did enjoy the Wonder Woman Earth One books because it inhabited it's own little world. That and Grant Morrison calling back a lot of Marston's original ideas, of course.

Probably. It might take care of certain continuity problems.

There are plenty of longrunning comics that aren't part of shared universes and are still around. Hellboy got three movies and he's not part of a shared universe.

The problem isn't that WW is in a shared universe, the problem is bad writing/sexism. Writers who don't respect her will always find ways to mistreat her even if she exists in her own universe.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Probably. It might take care of certain continuity problems.

There are plenty of longrunning comics that aren't part of shared universes and are still around. Hellboy got three movies and he's not part of a shared universe.
    Hellboy is a male. WW is the first major female hero and it took 70 years to get a movie