Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Does Manta feel remorse about killing Aquababy?

I've never read that issue, but I know of it. Was it deliberate or an accident?

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    I've never read that issue, but I know of it. Was it deliberate or an accident?
    It was deliberate. He made Aquaman choose between saving Aqualad and Aquababy. Pretty dark story for that era of comics. Aquaman hasn't been the same ever since.

He didn't feel remorse but it usually depends on the character. If Ocean Master was the one to kill Arthur Jr, he would've likely regretted it. Or if Lex killed Jon Kent he probably wouldn't brag about it either since there's a certain bond between Clark and Lex, while Orm is obviously Arthur's brother. With Black Manta or Joker killing Jason Todd, these are villains who while complex, are not the types to feel regret for causing unfathomable pain to their arch nemesis. Otherwise you get stuff like the often ridiculed panel of Doctor Doom crying over victims of 9/11. That guy has filled more graveyards than any terrorist on the planet and he cries about innocents dying. So it just depends on who the villain happens to be.

I don't think this incident is still canon? Isn't Andy treated as their firstborn?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    He didn't feel remorse but it usually depends on the character. If Ocean Master was the one to kill Arthur Jr, he would've likely regretted it. Or if Lex killed Jon Kent he probably wouldn't brag about it either since there's a certain bond between Clark and Lex, while Orm is obviously Arthur's brother. With Black Manta or Joker killing Jason Todd, these are villains who while complex, are not the types to feel regret for causing unfathomable pain to their arch nemesis. Otherwise you get stuff like the often ridiculed panel of Doctor Doom crying over victims of 9/11. That guy has filled more graveyards than any terrorist on the planet and he cries about innocents dying. So it just depends on who the villain happens to be.
    Completely understandable. This probably doesn't count, but let's not forget Avengers: Children's Crusade & Doom's killing of Cassie Lang.

Eventually, Doom feels remorse & decides to resurrect her...

Last edited by K7P5V; 02-03-2023 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I don't think this incident is still canon? Isn't Andy treated as their firstborn?
    Yeah, it appears that DC are choosing to ignore it.
    Which is an odd choice considering just how much of an impact it had on Aquaman and the supporting characters.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Which is an odd choice considering just how much of an impact it had on Aquaman and the supporting characters.
    Prolly cause quickly after Andy was born DC tried to do a whole thing about turning Manta into a hero and an official member of the Aquaman Family

So I guess referencing the baby murder was counterintuitive to that

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    IIRC there was a scene recently in which Black Manta said that he doesn't kill kids. 'All canon counts' indeed, heh

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    IIRC there was a scene recently in which Black Manta said that he doesn't kill kids. 'All canon counts' indeed, heh
    I find that hard to buy .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Prolly cause quickly after Andy was born DC tried to do a whole thing about turning Manta into a hero and an official member of the Aquaman Family

So I guess referencing the baby murder was counterintuitive to that
    I guess it had to do with their failed attempt at boosting Jackson Hyde, but how did anyone think it was a good idea to make Manta into a hero? The guy was always a piece of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    I guess it had to do with their failed attempt at boosting Jackson Hyde, but how did anyone think it was a good idea to make Manta into a hero? The guy was always a piece of crap.
    Ya know how when Deathstroke, Deadshot, and Harley Quin all became really popular DC tried to make them more like anti-heroes? Its basically that.

Plus there's the added bit that Manta is one of DC's most high-profile black characters and they were probably under the belief one of their most famous black characters shouldn't be a badguy........ despite him being so popular is exactly because he's a great badguy.

I remember a couple years ago when they made a cool poster for Black History Month showing off their line-up of black superheroes, Manta was the only villain on it. Like no joke the entire poster was 99% comprised entirely of heroes leaving Manta's involvement there a huge odd man out as it didn't include any other villains for some reason.

He certainly doesn't.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Ya know how when Deathstroke, Deadshot, and Harley Quin all became really popular DC tried to make them more like anti-heroes? Its basically that.

Plus there's the added bit that Manta is one of DC's most high-profile black characters and they were probably under the belief one of their most famous black characters shouldn't be a badguy........ despite him being so popular is exactly because he's a great badguy.

I remember a couple years ago when they made a cool poster for Black History Month showing off their line-up of black superheroes, Manta was the only villain on it. Like no joke the entire poster was 99% comprised entirely of heroes leaving Manta's involvement there a huge odd man out as it didn't include any other villains for some reason.
    I feel like Harley was always sympathetic even before she became extremely popular. What's the worst she did before she became popular? Ditto for Deadshot, he was barely a character before Ostrander and Kim Yale.

OTOH, Joker is one of the most popular villain in pop culture and that has never deterred DC from portraying him as a murderous bastard.

Looking at DC's admittedly small roster of black super villains (Black Manta, Mustapha Maksai, Tobias Whale, Killer Croc), a lot of them are portrayed as one dimensional and unsympathetic. Bloodsport in his debut comic and movie is one of the few times I have seen a black super villain portrayed sympathetically. I can see why writers would want to add layers whenever they get the opportunity to write one.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I feel like Harley was always sympathetic even before she became extremely popular. What's the worst she did before she became popular? Ditto for Deadshot, he was barely a character before Ostrander and Kim Yale.

OTOH, Joker is one of the most popular villain in pop culture and that has never deterred DC from portraying him as a murderous bastard.

Looking at DC's admittedly small roster of black super villains (Black Manta, Mustapha Maksai, Tobias Whale, Killer Croc), a lot of them are portrayed as one dimensional and unsympathetic. Bloodsport in his debut comic and movie is one of the few times I have seen a black super villain portrayed sympathetically. I can see why writers would want to add layers whenever they get the opportunity to write one.
    Well in Deadshot's case the Ostrander run portrayed him as a psychotic sociopath. Like he's not entirely a bad guy but he's still a ruthless murderer who shoots people with unrelenting brutality and is mentally unstable with a genuine desire to murder people. But recent depictions have softened him especially after his cinematic debut by Will Smith which is what I'm referring to. Tom Taylor's Suicide Squad from a couple years ago portrayed him as noble gold hearted mercenary with all of his villainous traits completely excised and whitewashed.

Harley while she was sympathetic was still a villain through and through. Even in the original DCAU continuity in Batman Beyond Return of the Joker she along with Joker tortured Tim Drake to brainwash him into being their loyal servant and showed 0 remorse for it. Now they go on her being a complete victim and any villainy she did is completely the fault of the Joker to absolve her of any blame.

Those are the notable cases of whitewashing in morality those characters get.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 02-04-2023 at 03:54 AM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Deadshot's portrayal in Secret Six by Gail Simone is still my favourite version of the character.
    Still a killer, but not a psycho.
    Christos Gage's mini series is also great.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.