Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 57
  1. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    -DC doesn't hate the 90's, but DC loves money.
    you're goddamn right!
    the extra skater
    Download Ferda Boys #1, a 36-page hockey webcomic.

  2. #17
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by extra skater View Post
    you're goddamn right!
    Don't get me wrong. I don't mind that. I plan on investing around 50,000 USD into AT&T during 2021.

  3. #18
    Mighty Member Chubistian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    1,164

    Default

    The new 52 and DC You were the most 90s DC has been since the 90s
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

    "We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

  4. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I don't mind that. I plan on investing around 50,000 USD into AT&T during 2021.
    No problem, dude, we all love money. Owning it seems to be a problem though
    But you've got a point. Don't know if it really works like that, don't have any real data, but indeed most of my comic book store going fellows from 90s now struggle with money.

    I'm prone to think that the 90s was a decade of experiences and crossovers influenced (or maybe backlashed) by the sudden success of Image comics and the style of guys like McFarlane and it soon became disposable. I pity this decision, I'm right now staring at a Power of Shazam and a Green Lantern books from the 90's and they're my favorite.
    the extra skater
    Download Ferda Boys #1, a 36-page hockey webcomic.

  5. #20
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by extra skater View Post
    No problem, dude, we all love money. Owning it seems to be a problem though
    But you've got a point. Don't know if it really works like that, don't have any real data, but indeed most of my comic book store going fellows from 90s now struggle with money.

    I'm prone to think that the 90s was a decade of experiences and crossovers influenced (or maybe backlashed) by the sudden success of Image comics and the style of guys like McFarlane and it soon became disposable. I pity this decision, I'm right now staring at a Power of Shazam and a Green Lantern books from the 90's and they're my favorite.
    As I said, my argument is back by nothing, only my perception of the economy in general terms. It must be difficult to be buying comic books when you can ill afford rent or something like that.

  6. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    No, I don't think so.

    They're trying to acquire new customers.

    The '90s were 30 years ago, even if you were born in the late 90's to early 00's you've already aged out of the demographic that ATT wants to get.

    They want the generation that were born in the late 00's to early 10's and in that time DC has already changed a lot; just like how Kyle, Wally, and Tim are "my" Green Lantern, Flash, and Robin so to are Hal, Barry, and Damian (I think)? for this new generation.

    It's like telling me Kyle isn't the "real" Green Lantern it's this old dude with grey temples or Robin isn't Tim but some dork called Jason.

    In ten years from now they're gonna go after the New 52 generation and so on and so forth it goes on forever.
    That theory is flawed, though, in that Hal and Barry are from the generation before the 90's generation. They were brought back and made prominent at the expense of the 90's generation.
    Last Read: History of the Marvel Universe

    Monthly Pull List: Action Comics, Batman/Catwoman, Batman/Superman, Daredevil, The Flash, Iron Fist: Heart of the Dragon Legion of Superheroes, Runaways, Strange Adventures, Superman

  7. #22
    Astonishing Member Nomads1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro/Brazil
    Posts
    2,961

    Default

    Not sure DC hates the 90's, but I sure loved it.

    Peace

  8. #23
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    That theory is flawed, though, in that Hal and Barry are from the generation before the 90's generation. They were brought back and made prominent at the expense of the 90's generation.
    THIS.

    Wally, Kyle, Cassandra, Steel, Shazam, Tim and others SOLD. They made DC MONEY.

    You don't RUIN what made you money because you want certain folks in the forefront. You make it work together.

    Don't say DC likes Money and dead properties like Sugar & Spice can get tossed in a book. While Jaime Reyes is nowhere to be seen. While folks like Vixen are on tv shows and get DENIED stuff.

    DC was a fanboy paradise. Now it's trying to be a business. Problem is after Batman-what do you got? Because everyone else is struggling because of previous behaviors.

  9. #24
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,915

    Default

    It's funny about the whole "'90s aesthetic" that they did embrace it with the New 52 but, ironically, DC in the '90s wasn't really like that. A few outliers, sure, but it wasn't like with Marvel where they really took the whole Image thing to heart but, ya know, with knock offs since the real deals left to form Image. DC in the '90s was Vertigo, the triangle era for Superman, Starman, Hitman, Chuck Dixon's Batman, Waid's Flash, Marz' GL, Kesel's Superboy, PAD's Supergirl and the like. The grimdark, so-called edgy stuff never really lasted that long or made much impact even at the time.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

  10. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    It's funny about the whole "'90s aesthetic" that they did embrace it with the New 52 but, ironically, DC in the '90s wasn't really like that. A few outliers, sure, but it wasn't like with Marvel where they really took the whole Image thing to heart but, ya know, with knock offs since the real deals left to form Image. DC in the '90s was Vertigo, the triangle era for Superman, Starman, Hitman, Chuck Dixon's Batman, Waid's Flash, Marz' GL, Kesel's Superboy, PAD's Supergirl and the like. The grimdark, so-called edgy stuff never really lasted that long or made much impact even at the time.
    But dude
    the extra skater
    Download Ferda Boys #1, a 36-page hockey webcomic.

  11. #26
    Astonishing Member cranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    That theory is flawed, though, in that Hal and Barry are from the generation before the 90's generation. They were brought back and made prominent at the expense of the 90's generation.
    I am not sure of the validity of the 'theory' but there is truth. We all entered comics at different times and we all thought the books that came out when we started, or at least the ones we really really liked, were the best and should be coming out forever, not thinking that the books and characters that they replaced had previously been seen the same way by the previous generation, and so we did not care, and that is fine because we need to be replaced by new readers who are looking for new things and not the same things catering to us as we became so choosy and close minded.

  12. #27
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by extra skater View Post
    But dude
    Yeah but to be fair, whether or not it was planned that way, the whole thing ended up being an examination of '90s tropes and why, in effect, classic Batman is better than these Extreme '90s "superheroes". And neither the cover artist (Kelly Jones) nor the interior artist (the great Jim Aparo) had much to do with the '90s aesthetic - which was true of most but certainly not quite all of the DC artists at the time.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

  13. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Yeah but to be fair, whether or not it was planned that way, the whole thing ended up being an examination of '90s tropes and why, in effect, classic Batman is better than these Extreme '90s "superheroes". And neither the cover artist (Kelly Jones) nor the interior artist (the great Jim Aparo) had much to do with the '90s aesthetic - which was true of most but certainly not quite all of the DC artists at the time.
    Yeah you're right, maybe I misunderstood you, but that's my point. Mike Deodato Jr. is another good example. He was starting his Marvel/DC career and he had to draw in a style completely different from what he used to do when he was an indie artist. And this indie art of him (probably from the 80s) is much closer to what he does now than to what he had to draw for the industry in the 90s. So that was happening to everyone and that's what made this so called 90s aesthetic led by the crew that left Marvel.

    I think it can be either good like Green Lantern and Flash or bad like that Jean-Paul Valley incarnation of Batman.
    the extra skater
    Download Ferda Boys #1, a 36-page hockey webcomic.

  14. #29
    Invincible Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    20,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    . . . I really hope now that Didio's gone they finally bring back Linda Dnavers, but the sheer amount time that has passed since Didio blacklisted her makes it unlikely.
    Then again, there are old guys like me who have trouble getting beyond the fact that, prior to her death in CoIE, Supergirl's secret identity was Linda Danvers.

  15. #30
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    That theory is flawed, though, in that Hal and Barry are from the generation before the 90's generation. They were brought back and made prominent at the expense of the 90's generation.
    It's cyclical man... it all goes around... *puff* *cough* *cough*

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •