Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    If the current push is to bring in more diversity to the DCU, why not being back Connor Hawke?
    Check out Damian Wayne's current series.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    That is to bad since that was the greatest decade of DC comics My DC fandom died with the new 52.

Thst is absolute Fact, the 90s were the best

BUT I'm glad I'm still here reading them, caise they are still great
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

If the current push is to bring in more diversity to the DCU, why not being back Connor Hawke?
    He's already back.

See, the premise behind this thread is that DC hates the 90s. But from what I've been seeing, it looks more like the people at DC who hated the 90s were shown the door sometime late last year. Because ever since, what, Death Metal #3 or 4? Somewhere around then; there appears to have been a complete course reversal, and we're getting things like a Wally West who looks and acts like Wally West, or Connor Hawke returning, etc. At this point, even though she's not technically a 90s character, I'm hoping to see Lorena Marquez make a return.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 02-04-2023 at 04:40 AM.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

There's definitely been a noticeable reversal since Didio was tossed out on his ass. Though some of it seemed to be starting even prior to last year's bloodbath.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    I would read that for sure. 90s were great times reading comics for me
    In Multiversity, Earth-16 was supposed to be based off of the 90s. I'm not a fan of the “shallow celebrities” approach they took with it, specifically the shallowness; but if you could do something about that, I wouldn't mind seeing “The Just” as an ongoing series.
    Rogue wears rouge.

In Multiversity, Earth-16 was supposed to be based off of the 90s. I'm not a fan of the “shallow celebrities” approach they took with it, specifically the shallowness; but if you could do something about that, I wouldn't mind seeing “The Just” as an ongoing series.

Yep a less shallow version of earth 16 the just would work.

Course I would fix Conner to not go bizzaro, because thsts the whole point of the human DNA to stop that, and lessen the stuff thst isn't strictly 90s.

Smallville season 11 was another missed opportunity

Cir-el done right

Linda danvers back

Grant Emerson back,he was aweeome

Somethings weren't 90s,i just threw them in just because lol.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I don’t know if DC hates the 90s but when it comes to DC Comics, I know that I do.
    I agree.

The 90s were bad.

Early 90s, maybe. But by the middle of the decade, we were getting all kinds of good stuff. Personally, I Mark the turning point at Zero Hour and Kingdom Come; the latter, in fact, was a warning about the path DC was on, and a declaration of what they needed to do to fix it.
    Rogue wears rouge.

There's plenty of gold in the early 90s too.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Tell that to an entire generation of people, myself included, who grew up seeing Wally West as the Flash and John Stewart as the Green Lantern thanks to JLU. I had no issue getting into comics either. I knew Wally and Kyle had predecessors and that one died while the other became a villain. I didn't need anything more than that to enjoy the adventures of Kyle and Wally.

The Didio regime didn't even think that adaptations would matter that much. The success of Geoff Johns Green Lantern and Hal Jordan revival lead to the much derided Green Lantern and only when casual audiences started asking 'where's John Stewart?' did they realize that 'oh ****, comics are niche, it's adaptations that reach out to most people' and after that it was all Hal all the time in any adaptation. We were lucky to get a look at John or Guy every now and then.

Their entire business regime was built on the idea of going back to the 'good ol' days' and appealing to a middle aged audience while alienating the audience they gained in the Post Crisis era and they didn't try too hard to reach out to millennial audiences. They ended up undoing all the gains made during the Post Crisis era especially in terms of diversity and created the mess we have today. DC's loss became Marvel's gain as they began investing heavily in legacy heroes, Runaways and Young Avengers became entry points for newer younger audiences then later on Ms Marvel, Miles Morales and Moongirl and Devil Dinosaur.
    Also, Stargirl is a show about a legacy character created in the 90s. By Matthew's logic, it should have failed to catch an audience and yet it is one of the best reviewed DC shows ever made.

Don't forget Jack Knight, the star of the ultimate legacies comic Starman.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Don't forget Jack Knight, the star of the ultimate legacies comic Starman.
    I loved the 90's. For me, DC was really throwing stuff out there and seeing what stuck.
    They also started to lean into the 'legacy' of their Silver Age characters and trying some new stuff there too.

Robin - Tim
    Superboy - Conner
    Wonder Girl - Cassie
    Impulse - Bart
    Starman - Jack
    Green Lantern - Kyle
    Green Arrow - Connor

Hitman, Preacher, Major Bummer, Sandman, Darkstars, Damage, L.E.G.I.O.N, Legionnaires, Martian Manhunter, Hourman the list goes on.
    Yes, there were SERIOUS misses as well, (Gunfire anyone?) for me though there was plenty more good than bad.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Tell that to an entire generation of people, myself included, who grew up seeing Wally West as the Flash and John Stewart as the Green Lantern thanks to JLU. I had no issue getting into comics either. I knew Wally and Kyle had predecessors and that one died while the other became a villain. I didn't need anything more than that to enjoy the adventures of Kyle and Wally.

The Didio regime didn't even think that adaptations would matter that much. The success of Geoff Johns Green Lantern and Hal Jordan revival lead to the much derided Green Lantern and only when casual audiences started asking 'where's John Stewart?' did they realize that 'oh ****, comics are niche, it's adaptations that reach out to most people' and after that it was all Hal all the time in any adaptation. We were lucky to get a look at John or Guy every now and then.

Their entire business regime was built on the idea of going back to the 'good ol' days' and appealing to a middle aged audience while alienating the audience they gained in the Post Crisis era and they didn't try too hard to reach out to millennial audiences. They ended up undoing all the gains made during the Post Crisis era especially in terms of diversity and created the mess we have today. DC's loss became Marvel's gain as they began investing heavily in legacy heroes, Runaways and Young Avengers became entry points for newer younger audiences then later on Ms Marvel, Miles Morales and Moongirl and Devil Dinosaur.
    Greatly said.

Also, even if we're making the argument that the 90s were bad because legacy characters are too hard to adapt, that still doesn't really hold up when Marvel is about to introduce Kamala Khan and Ironheart into the MCU, and have had success spinning Miles Morales off into the mainstream.

Frankly, I dislike the notion that that any one era of comics is "bad." The stupid pouches, gratuitous blood and guts and pointless shock death stunts may be unfortunately what gets remembered about the 90s, but both Marvel and DC had some absolute gems in that decade. Morrison's JLA, Kevin Smith on Daredevil, Priest's Black Panther, Peter David's Hulk, Milestone, Waid's Flash run and of course, as has already been mentioned, Starman.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I just came here to say that of all the 90's characters Cameron Chase (from the excellent book Chase) and her D.E.O. set-up (Director Bones, etc) is one of the things that has consistently refused to die and I love that.

Also, the Chronos series with Walker Gabriel was great.
    Last edited by exile001; 06-30-2021 at 04:24 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!