Spectacular Member

Default Is there a difference between Hardcover comics and Paperback comics?

Aside from the obvious, are there any other differences between Hardcover copies and Paperback copies? Or are they just the same comics just one's HC and one's PB? Like, is one better than the other?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonKing View Post
    Aside from the obvious, are there any other differences between Hardcover copies and Paperback copies? Or are they just the same comics just one's HC and one's PB? Like, is one better than the other?
    Indeed there is a major difference in the binding.
    In a paperback the pages are glued together.
    In a hardcover the pages are stitched together.
    You can imagine what happen if you open the pages wide a little bit too often on a paperback.

Also, some hardbacks have slightly thicker paper. And paper of higher quality. Allowing to have better ink and better colors.
    Also, since the pages a sawed together, the books are slightly wider.

That's all the differences I know of.

Also depends on when they're released.

There may be some changes (especially in the extra material more than the actual comic book story) depending on how much later a tpb version is released after a hardcover version.

OP Question -

Typically durable is the primary difference I'd say.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I can lay a hardback flat. More useful for reference.
    the New 52 hardbacks have glued bindings so not that useful.

Retired

Bindings break, no matter which kind you have. Laying your book open flat is a sure way to break a binding.

I haven't been tempted to buy any Omnibus, soft or hard cover, because of the creep. It just doesn't seem a functional book for reading--unless you crack the binding (maybe then remove all the pages and put them in a folder). It's mainly just to say I have all these stories in one book--and now I won't read them.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Bindings break, no matter which kind you have. Laying your book open flat is a sure way to break a binding.
    Beg your pardon but why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I haven't been tempted to buy any Omnibus, soft or hard cover, because of the creep. It just doesn't seem a functional book for reading--unless you crack the binding (maybe then remove all the pages and put them in a folder). It's mainly just to say I have all these stories in one book--and now I won't read them.
    What do you mean by "the creep?"

Personally I find omnibus's/collections much more suitable for reading. Having all the stories in one neat package is far more convenient than having to dig through a pile of separate issues.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    Personally I find omnibus's/collections much more suitable for reading. Having all the stories in one neat package is far more convenient than having to dig through a pile of separate issues.
    I wish they wouldn't put an omnibus in one gigantic book. I'd like multiple volumes in thinner hardbound books packaged together as one collection you could buy.

I agree with Jim Kelly. I've never been tempted to buy an omnibus because they don't look functional for reading and don't look like they would stay together long-term.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    Beg your pardon but why is that?
    Simple physics. The more stress you put on the materials holding the pages together, the more those materials will break down and not hold the pages together. Even if you don't break the binding itself, you have a good chance of breaking the spine by laying it open flat.

What do you mean by "the creep?"
    Creep is the term used for the shift in paper that happens when pages are folded inside each other. Most books are made up of folios--it's like there are several pamphlets gathered together and then stapled, glued or sewn to bind them as one book block. You don't get creep with a regular 32 page comic book, because it's saddle stitched and the number of pages is so small there's little if any creep. But bigger collections put so many pages together that part of a page is held inside the binding--and you can't see some of the art or the captions, without trying to stretch the book open so far that it damages the binding or the pages.

I prefer Hardcovers.

I found they tend to last longer, the pages don't come off as easily as they do on paperbacks and pages don't yellow. Though the latter does depend on paper quality. My copy of 'Untold Legends of Batman' is yellowed out and I'm afraid of the pages tearing off if I open it too hard by my copy of a collection DC/Marvel cross over is still very good condition.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonKing View Post
    Glad you added apart from the oblivious as felt like being frivolous. Have learnt slot from thread so 'thank you' to one and all. Another obvious difference is you can fit more softbacks on a shelf than hardback editions.