Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Most popular black and white comic? That isn’t manga

Is Sin city? Or am I missing something?

Extraordinary Member

TMNT original series.

Batman: Black & White

Invincible Member

Probably Mad Magazine. After that probably Creepy. Then Cracked.

Depending where… In France, I think it’s Corto Maltese.

“Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Love & Rockets, , Strangers in Paradise, The Walking Dead all have a claim.

Walking Dead has spawned a handful of TV series, some books I think, and supposedly some future movies so in terms of making money it’s def. up there.

The most popular I can think of:
    Mafalda
    Tintin (it was originally black and white)
    Persepolis
    Maus
    The Walking Dead
    TMNT
    Corto Maltese
    Sin City
    The Crow

As a character, I think Mafalda and Tintin are the most popular by far
    TMNT and The Walking Dead are probably the most popular franchises
    Last edited by Chubistian; 01-19-2021 at 09:45 AM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Retired

Haven't some of these comics mentioned been printed in colour or plus one colour? By plus one, I meaning something like this--

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

This was either printed with two colours (besides the black, those would be yellow and cyan) or one pantone colour, if it was a special print run.

I don't know about popular, but for my money FROM HELL was one of the best books in black and white that I ever got. It was in a phonebook, printed on cheap paper (I think it later got a pricey paper stock, but the beauty of my copy was that it was cheap, proving that comics don't need to be fancy to be great).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Haven't some of these comics mentioned been printed in colour or plus one colour? By plus one, I meaning something like this--

This was either printed with two colours (besides the black, those would be yellow and cyan) or one pantone colour, if it was a special print run.

I don't know about popular, but for my money FROM HELL was one of the best books in black and white that I ever got. It was in a phonebook, printed on cheap paper (I think it later got a pricey paper stock, but the beauty of my copy was that it was cheap, proving that comics don't need to be fancy to be great).
    I will read Chuck Austen’s run in X-Men as punishment for forgetting From Hell
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Well, The Walking Dead is the sales metric. So it's the easy winner.

Hard to say when you add in books that are very popular in Not America, and have been around much longer than TWD, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Well, The Walking Dead is the sales metric. So it's the easy winner.

Hard to say when you add in books that are very popular in Not America, and have been around much longer than TWD, too.
    Walking Dead is likely the biggest recent hit.

Bone might be on the same level, if you take into account all the collected edition sales.

The all-time most popular are probably the biggest comic strips, which were black & white for the weekday editions for decades.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Calvin, Peanuts, yeah. No doubt, but being daily strips, I didn't count them.

Good call on Bone. I didn't think of that one.

Not as big, but still very popular, Xenozoic Tales (aka Cadillac and Dinosaurs)
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

It's either Maus or Persepolis, at least for the most well known
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Savage Sword Of Conan ran 235 issues.