Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Wonder Woman meets Xena, a future Wonder Woman movie idea

If they made a DC version of Xena, she has a similar origin story as Wonder Woman, only her father was Ares, whom Wonder Woman killed or defeated in World War I, and Xena wants revenge. In the show Hercules, Xena started as a villain and crossed over, what happens if wendo this in a Wonder Woman movie?

It could be another prequel, such as happening during World War II for instance. Xena aligns herself with the Third Reich and gets into conflict with Wonder Woman over an overall Nazi plot. World War II was in part revenge for what happened in World War I, so Xena is about 21 years old when World War II starts, all she knows at first is her father died during World War I then she finds out he was Ares and who killed her and who she is.
    Last edited by Tom Kalbfus; 01-19-2021 at 08:26 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    If they made a DC version of Xena, she has a similar origin story as Wonder Woman, only her father was Ares, whom Wonder Woman killed or defeated in World War I, and Xena wants revenge. In the show Hercules, Xena started as a villain and crossed over, what happens if wendo this in a Wonder Woman movie?

It could be another prequel, such as happening during World War II for instance. Xena aligns herself with the Third Reich and gets into conflict with Wonder Woman over an overall Nazi plot. World War II was in part revenge for what happened in World War I, so Xena is about 21 years old when World War II starts, all she knows at first is her father died during World War I then she finds out he was Ares and who killed her and who she is.
    I'm not trying to be mean, but I like absolutely nothing about this idea.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

No thank you. Xena is great in her universe, if they want to crossover in a comic...LOVE it, but not like this. No.

A comic crossover like the one they did with Conan would be cool but this doesn't sound appealing as a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    A comic crossover like the one they did with Conan would be cool but this doesn't sound appealing as a movie.
    Gail Simone pitched a WW/Xena crossover quite a few years ago but I think it got passed over. Which is unfortunate, I think great stories could come from that. Imagine Xena and WW teaming up to fight Callisto and Cheetah together. Whew.

That said, a live action movie will never happen. An animated movie is slightly more likely (maybe with Lucy Lawless and Lynda Carter), but still almost zero chance.

I only watched Xena regularly in the early seasons, and maybe I caught a few episodes later on, but other than the whole Greek mythology overlap I don't find WW and Xena to be a good pairing, or at least not in a way that either a) doesn't make Xena seem useless next to WW or b) doesn't nerf WW. I guess if you reimagined Xena's origin so that she's not "just a human," it would work better. I dunno. At least from the get-go, a crossover just doesn't seem appealing.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I only watched Xena regularly in the early seasons, and maybe I caught a few episodes later on, but other than the whole Greek mythology overlap I don't find WW and Xena to be a good pairing, or at least not in a way that either a) doesn't make Xena seem useless next to WW or b) doesn't nerf WW. I guess if you reimagined Xena's origin so that she's not "just a human," it would work better. I dunno. At least from the get-go, a crossover just doesn't seem appealing.
    There is a mystery that Xena is a demigod. She took down the entire Greek Pantheon, I think she can handle Wonder Woman or a WW type threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    There is a mystery that Xena is a demigod. She took down the entire Greek Pantheon, I think she can handle Wonder Woman or a WW type threat.
    Like I said, I only really watched the early seasons. I recall there was one episode where they reluctantly had to enlist the help of Callisto (who at that point was immortal or something) because their opponent was more or less a god, and Xena and Gabrielle conceded that they couldn't win a prolonged battle against her.

And if Xena were indeed a demigod? I think that wouldn't be a good direction for the character, but whatever. I forgot when I stopped caring, and it's not like I'm dying for Universal to bring the character back.

Like I said, I only really watched the early seasons. I recall there was one episode where they reluctantly had to enlist the help of Callisto (who at that point was immortal or something) because their opponent was more or less a god, and Xena and Gabrielle conceded that they couldn't win a prolonged battle against her.
    Callisto became a god as well (in the same episode with Velasca) and still managed to get defeated by Xena (temporarily, obviously). Xena took down gods, monsters, valkyries, demons... she can definitely hold her own with Wondy.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Callisto became a god as well (in the same episode with Velasca) and still managed to get defeated by Xena (temporarily, obviously). Xena took down gods, monsters, valkyries, demons... she can definitely hold her own with Wondy.
    Hell, Xena was a Valkyrie herself for a bit. Also an archangel.

She had a ridiculously busy life. She could roll with the craziness of Diana's life pretty easily.

I'd LOVE a team up between Callisto and Cheetah! Or Alti and Circe. Or Ares and...Ares

Would you say Xena is in WW's weight class? I guess where I'm coming from, one of my pet peeves in superhero comics is when the writer insists that so-and-so normy human can throw down with the heavy hitters because of training, especially when said heavy is so over-the-top like WW, Superman, GL, etc.

Incredible Member

Beau Smith wrote a Wonder Woman/Xena crossover that the script was completed and paid for that was never actually drawn (except for some rough pages by Eduardo Barreto) or released because the TV show ended. He talks about it here.

Spectacular Member

Gail Simone pitched a WW/Xena crossover quite a few years ago but I think it got passed over. Which is unfortunate, I think great stories could come from that. Imagine Xena and WW teaming up to fight Callisto and Cheetah together. Whew.

That said, a live action movie will never happen. An animated movie is slightly more likely (maybe with Lucy Lawless and Lynda Carter), but still almost zero chance.
    Movie production gets cheaper all the time, you ever hear of the series Star Trek Continues? It has all the special effects of the Original Series, they could probably do a Linda Carter Style Wonder Woman television as show or movie for much cheaper than they did the original series. There are a lot of practical effects, such as having a stunt woman jump backwards off a building onto an air bag or net while filming, and then you play it backwards and it looks like Wonder Woman jumping to tremendous heights, with today's technology green screening is much cheaper than it used to be. It is easier to get a movie produced if you don't do cutting edge graphics and even that is cheaper than it used to be. If someone wants to have Wonder Woman meet Xena, it can certainly happen, even if its only a YouTube movie.

Spectacular Member

Would you say Xena is in WW's weight class? I guess where I'm coming from, one of my pet peeves in superhero comics is when the writer insists that so-and-so normy human can throw down with the heavy hitters because of training, especially when said heavy is so over-the-top like WW, Superman, GL, etc.
    In Xena: Warrior Princess, Xena fought Ares on multiple occasions, the same foe that Wonder Woman Faced in her first Wonder Woman movie. Xena can be as powerful as she needs to be. Wonder Woman has had various levels of power over the years, since both characters come from Greek mythology, they have similar origins. Xena has even dealt with Amazon's, though she denies being one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    In Xena: Warrior Princess, Xena fought Ares on multiple occasions, the same foe that Wonder Woman Faced in her first Wonder Woman movie.
    Yes, and no. I thought the Hercules/Xena creators kept their gods and demigods a little more down-to-Earth than what DC (and Marvel) typically does.