Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I thought both stories were off to a promising start, though I am a little more intrigued by Nubia’s. She clearly has a connection to other god’s considering her “Aunt Nancy”, so that has definitely piqued my interest.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    The story opens with Diana visiting the Batcave and speaking to the "ghost" of Batman. What I loved about this scene was that it portrayed them as friends and equals, no romantic interest whatsoever. Diana puts on the utility belt in Batman's memory, which I thought I'd hate... but it was very well done.
    I loved this scene! I'd be down for more Diana and Bruce interaction if he was written like this and they focused on them as friends with no ship teasing. I HATE the ship, but love them as friends.

Kind of like in a Brave and the Bold issue written by Gerry Conway, where Bruce bumped into Diana Prince at a party and they were casually going to get drinks or something after. It's much easier to buy Diana being close to Bruce when he's written like his Bronze Age self. I'd rather not see him written into the books too much, but if he shows up, better to do it this way than basing it off the post-Frank Miller models.

Somehow Diana fighting Darkseid was not as exciting as Nubia fighting Grail. The second story was better to me overall.

Extraordinary Member

I liked the Nubia story a lot. I am glad they included an entire 20 page 'backup' story for an extra $2 because I would have been a bit underwhelmed if it was just the main Diana story. I'd like to see McKinney get a chance to do more with Nubia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    The Nubia story was entertaining, it seems that she is back to being Diana's twin?
    Yes, the writer said that the only way she was going to write Nubia was to reclaim that origin.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I liked the Nubia story a lot. I am glad they included an entire 20 page 'backup' story for an extra $2 because I would have been a bit underwhelmed if it was just the main Diana story. I'd like to see McKinney get a chance to do more with Nubia.

Yes, the writer said that the only way she was going to write Nubia was to reclaim that origin.
    I'd rather have Nubia as her twin then Jason.
    But that does make me wonder...how that's going to workout?

Like are they magically twins? Or surprise, surprise did Hippolyta have triplets?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I'd rather have Nubia as her twin then Jason.
    But that does make me wonder...how that's going to workout?

Like are they magically twins? Or surprise, surprise did Hippolyta have triplets?
    This character is brand new to me so I am just taking this story as is (is the aunt someone known to other readers here?), but I know the writer was championing her original origin story so hopefully we will see it explained in more detail somewhere down the line. I am a little iffy on Diana's origin at this point anyway, so I am open to them going however they want to with the Great Reset of Death Metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Somehow Diana fighting Darkseid was not as exciting as Nubia fighting Grail. The second story was better to me overall.
    Mostly that was because the first one was too melancholy and monologue heavy. Then after Diana clearly wanted the Amazons to escape, she acquiesced and decided to fight with them, however that required yet another page long rallying speech from her that rang hollow, because it was the opposite of what she wanted to do in the first place. She basically was contradicting herself.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    This character is brand new to me so I am just taking this story as is (is the aunt someone known to other readers here?), but I know the writer was championing her original origin story so hopefully we will see it explained in more detail somewhere down the line. I am a little iffy on Diana's origin at this point anyway, so I am open to them going however they want to with the Great Reset of Death Metal.
    I think the Aunt Nancy isn't really related to Nubia but is Anansi the Spider in disguise. Anansi is the god of Knowledge/Stories and she tells Nubia she loves stories, plus the name is so obviously a pun.

Lol, I would not be surprised if the Great Reset retconned Nubia to be Diana's twin instead of Jason. I can't see them going back to Diana being made of clay since the Wonder Woman movies are sticking to the daughter of Zeus origin, and a lot of people see her like that now. Originally Nubia was Diana's twin because Hippolyta sculpted her out of the same clay as Diana at the same time. But I could also see them being half sisters in this new continuity.

I think the Aunt Nancy isn't really related to Nubia but is Anansi the Spider in disguise. Anansi is the god of Knowledge/Stories and she tells Nubia she loves stories, plus the name is so obviously a pun.

Lol, I would not be surprised if the Great Reset retconned Nubia to be Diana's twin instead of Jason. I can't see them going back to Diana being made of clay since the Wonder Woman movies are sticking to the daughter of Zeus origin, and a lot of people see her like that now. Originally Nubia was Diana's twin because Hippolyta sculpted her out of the same clay as Diana at the same time. But I could also see them being half sisters in this new continuity.
    The writer confirmed they were in fact twins. But with Zeus being the father, anything can happen.

Extraordinary Member

That could make sense. I decided to look up Anansi (I was vaguely familiar from Neil Gaiman stories) and there does not seem to be anything to suggest Anansi takes a female form, but Aunt Nancy is a name used for him and there was a female portrayal on a Syfy show recently by Jasmine Guy (now I have a voice in my head for the character too).

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

DC will really be stupid to retire the "Immortal Wonder Woman" title after Future State. Its such a good name for a title!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    DC will really be stupid to retire the "Immortal Wonder Woman" title after Future State. Its such a good name for a title!
    Agreed! It's a perfect name. I wouldn't mind if they kept this line of Wonder Woman titles for other stories at the end of time.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    The writer confirmed they were in fact twins. But with Zeus being the father, anything can happen.
    I’m assuming this is part of the “it’s all canon” approach. She’s Zeus kid but Nubia is also somehow her twin for the purpose of that specific story.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m assuming this is part of the “it’s all canon” approach. She’s Zeus kid but Nubia is also somehow her twin for the purpose of that specific story.
    Ahem. Zues gets around.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    To be honest, I'm not that invested in Future State. I prefer focus on the present day. But I really liked the preview pages and I wanted a taste of what we can expect for the main title post-Future State in terms of writing.

Luckily, it's pretty great.

I'll get the gushing for the art out of the way very early. Jen Bartel is just... on a completely different level. I was blown away by her art. Everything is so colorful and majestic, which balances out the incredibly dark, apocalyptic story that is being told. I love it, I love it, I love it.

The story opens with Diana visiting the Batcave and speaking to the "ghost" of Batman. What I loved about this scene was that it portrayed them as friends and equals, no romantic interest whatsoever. Diana puts on the utility belt in Batman's memory, which I thought I'd hate... but it was very well done.

Anyway, there's an "undoing" heading towards Earth, but it makes a pit stop at Apokolips where it gobbles up Orion and Big Barda. Darkseid seems disinterested at first, but then heads off to Earth where he fights Superman. Also, Swamp Thing (who is planted on Themyscira) is dying. The Amazons also know they'll die, but want to stay for the honor. Diana reluctantly joins them until she sees Darkseid and Superman fighting. She and the Amazons join in the fight (the poor Amazons don't fare well). Darkseid is about to win, but Swamp Thing gives up his life so that Diana can live and continue to fight.

My only complaint is that there felt like a lot of inner dialogue, like, maybe too much? But Diana felt very much like Diana.

As for the Nubia backup, she fights Grail who has been stealing various magical artifacts, and later goes to her aunt for assistance. It ends with Nubia getting teleported away by an unknown force.

I didn't love the Nubia stuff as much as I'd hoped. The art was pretty good, and watching Nubia as the star of her own story is a dream come true. I just wish the pacing had been a little faster since it is a backup story. She spent a LONG time talking to her aunt. I don't mind Grail being shuffled over to Nubia's rogues gallery, though. It's a good repurposing since I don't think she fits as a Diana foe.

What did everyone else think of these two stories?
    Sadly, Grail's motivation has rarely been articulated by WW writers, since her inception in Darkseid War. According to her mother Myrina, she is the living embodiment of the Anti-life Equation, the terminal end of all free will in the Universe. Conceivably, she should have the power to control the minds of sentient beings or turn people into zombie armies, like another WW super-villain, who is totally wasted in the WW comic, ..Bushmaster. However, since most writers just make her a silver-skinned Super-Woman.

As Wonder Woman is an Amazon, foresworn to fight for freedom and peace of all mankind, Grail is her perfect nemesis, ..a natural enemy for a superheroine with no natural enemy. I can't help, but think, what a perennial enmity between Grail and Diana might have been like, ..if only the writers bothered to read or understand Grail's backstory and motivation. I guess she'll do, as well, for Nubia, under the circumstances.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-22-2021 at 05:10 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!