Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Future State: Immortal Wonder Woman #1 [Spoilers]

To be honest, I'm not that invested in Future State. I prefer focus on the present day. But I really liked the preview pages and I wanted a taste of what we can expect for the main title post-Future State in terms of writing.

Luckily, it's pretty great.

I'll get the gushing for the art out of the way very early. Jen Bartel is just... on a completely different level. I was blown away by her art. Everything is so colorful and majestic, which balances out the incredibly dark, apocalyptic story that is being told. I love it, I love it, I love it.

The story opens with Diana visiting the Batcave and speaking to the "ghost" of Batman. What I loved about this scene was that it portrayed them as friends and equals, no romantic interest whatsoever. Diana puts on the utility belt in Batman's memory, which I thought I'd hate... but it was very well done.

Anyway, there's an "undoing" heading towards Earth, but it makes a pit stop at Apokolips where it gobbles up Orion and Big Barda. Darkseid seems disinterested at first, but then heads off to Earth where he fights Superman. Also, Swamp Thing (who is planted on Themyscira) is dying. The Amazons also know they'll die, but want to stay for the honor. Diana reluctantly joins them until she sees Darkseid and Superman fighting. She and the Amazons join in the fight (the poor Amazons don't fare well). Darkseid is about to win, but Swamp Thing gives up his life so that Diana can live and continue to fight.

My only complaint is that there felt like a lot of inner dialogue, like, maybe too much? But Diana felt very much like Diana.

As for the Nubia backup, she fights Grail who has been stealing various magical artifacts, and later goes to her aunt for assistance. It ends with Nubia getting teleported away by an unknown force.

I didn't love the Nubia stuff as much as I'd hoped. The art was pretty good, and watching Nubia as the star of her own story is a dream come true. I just wish the pacing had been a little faster since it is a backup story. She spent a LONG time talking to her aunt. I don't mind Grail being shuffled over to Nubia's rogues gallery, though. It's a good repurposing since I don't think she fits as a Diana foe.

What did everyone else think of these two stories?

Incredible Member

Immortal Wonder Woman

It had a magical sombreness that I truly loved. The world feels so sad, yet everyone believes there is still something to die for and something worth living for. I liked the Wonder Woman vs Darkseid battle, and I love the colors of Themsycira. As you said, they are majestic.

I'm interested in the Undoing, and I have complete confidence in this creative team. I love what I read so far.

Nubia

I liked this story, too. I absolutely love the look of Nubia, and the golds really bring out her complexion in a gorgeous way. I liked the Nubia vs. Grail fight, and since the issue started so action-packed, I didn't mind a more dialogue-heavy issue to balance it out. I actually really like the Nubia/Aunt Nancy dynamic, and Aunt Nancy's seeming resentment of Diana. I also thought the overall plot was straightforward enough for a two-issue arc.

I'm looking forward to both next month.

Extraordinary Member

Jen Bartel was the star of this issue, there's a noticeable difference between her art here and on her creator owned series Blackbird, as here she did everything as opposed to Blackbird where another artist was doing layouts. She took it to the next level.

Cloonan/Conrad have a good handle on Diana's voice but I did think the dialogue got a little clunky at times - still looking forward to their run on the main series based off of this though.

The Nubia story was fine over all but the comixology version of the book has a lettering mistake, all the writing from page 25 appears on page 30, write down to the speech bubbles being in the exact same place the location being repeated. Super annoying considering this was a $6 book, anyone know if the physical versions have this issue?

Agree with the stuff on Bartel's art, best a WW book has looked since the Scott/Sharp days.

I enjoyed the melancholic tone of Immortal Wonder Woman, Conrad/Cloonan have a good handle on Diana and I like how they handle how Diana's immortality would have an effect on her. Reminds me of some of the bits I like from WW84. I'm looking forward to their main book tenure much more now.

I enjoyed the Nubia story also. Had an interesting urban fantasy/American Gods kind of feel to it. Though it's a bit hard to understand what exactly is the status quo of this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    The Nubia story was fine over all but the comixology version of the book has a lettering mistake, all the writing from page 25 appears on page 30, write down to the speech bubbles being in the exact same place the location being repeated. Super annoying considering this was a $6 book, anyone know if the physical versions have this issue?
    I see I wasn't the only one who had this. Had to re-read a few times to see if I was missing something before I realized it was an error.
    Last edited by Gaius; 01-19-2021 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I see I wasn't the only one who had this. Had to re-read a few times to see if I was missing something before I realized it was an error.
    I noticed that too and didn't know what to think of it so I ignored it. And completely forgot about it until y'all pointed it out. That's a pretty bad mistake...

All-New Member

Agree, it was a bit dark but the Nubia storyline seems interesting. I'm glad we get to see her again and hoping we see more of her.

Quote Originally Posted by GeekSlop View Post
    Agree, it was a bit dark but the Nubia storyline seems interesting. I'm glad we get to see her again and hoping we see more of her.
    Welcome to CBR! You're in good company, we're all Nubia fans here.

Diana's story was pretty much what I expected it to be. I hope we'll learn some more about the fate of the world and even when Diana got the GL ring. Bartel's art is a good choice for the setting. The atmosphere was great throughout the whole book. I too like that the art is so bright and colorful. That said it's noticeable that she doesn't have that much experience with interior art. The action panels showed that quite a bit. That said I still hope she'll do more interior art.

Nubia's story is a little more intriguing, imo, while I don't care for Grail, I very much care for every other plot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I noticed that too and didn't know what to think of it so I ignored it. And completely forgot about it until y'all pointed it out. That's a pretty bad mistake...
    Same. I just accepted it when I read it but... yeah.

The two Wonder Woman books where the only books I was looking forward to from future state.

I liked this issue. So much happened, like dang it was a fast read. Art was obviously amazing.

The writers write Diana very well, I liked her dialogue. Their writing on Darkside was hit or miss, some was good, some was a little too cheesy. I liked how he fried the Amazon's though, so brutal.

I'm not really sure what Darkside is doing though. Like, why attack the Earth? I thought he was going there for help, but maybe he just wants to die in battle before the Undoing undoes him.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

The main story was great for the most part. Art was A+...I have to admit that I was disappointed that all of Dianas close friends/family appeared to have died besides Superman. It would've been nice if Cassie, Donna, or Artemis were one of the surviving Amazons and I wasnt happy that Darkseid killed them all. Im a strong believer that their gauntlets should be able to deflect his Omega beams. But apart from that, I enjoyed the overall story. Swamp Thing has been very active around DC lately which I like and to see him seemingly "die" at the end of the article was sad. Im interested to see how Diana handles Darkseid in the final issue.

The Nubia story was entertaining, it seems that she is back to being Diana's twin? She's a Princess so Im assuming so. It read like an episode of television which I liked. There's plenty of mystery to it, her outfit is great. I loved Grail during the Darkseid War and feel like she should be more of an A-list villain so seeing her doing something so minor seemed a bit downgrading for her? But we'll see.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Same. I just accepted it when I read it but... yeah.
    Looks like it's been fixed on Comixology.

Extraordinary Member

I liked Wonder Woman's characterization, though Darkseid was very badly characterized

This was a wonderful issue! Reading and looking at each page felt like a breath of fresh air! I’m looking forward to both Cloonan and Conrad official run come March!

Nubia was amazing as well! I loved the way she looked and also the way she spoke! I wonder why she and Diana aren’t speaking to each other!? Looking forward for her to face circe next issue!

The Immortal Wonder Woman book was pretty good, though I guess my issue primary issue is...I have no idea what Death Metal is. I did roll my eyes when Batman made a came because Batman is always involved in these elseworld, Wonder Woman stories

I agree with ya'll say about the Nubia backup too (didn't even realize the Nubia story was part of WW Immortal).
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

It was decent but between Darkseid and Grail that's too many New Gods in my Wonder Woman content.