Mighty Member

Default Where is the thread for Generation Shattered

I dont see a thread .So I guess I will make one.I thought it was great,I haven't read the Future State yet,Does this lead into future State? Shattered is about time

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    I dont see a thread .So I guess I will make one.I thought it was great,I haven't read the Future State yet,Does this lead into future State? Shattered is about time
    I enjoyed it and was surprised to see very few fans out there comment on the first installment. The Golden Age Batman was fun, as was the brief appearance by the 1940s JSA. One of the better titles (even if it's only two issues in total) DC has put out in some time.

I enjoyed it as well, and I was also a little unclear how it relates to Future State. If it doesn't, I can see it getting lost in the shuffle, but it seems like a cool time travel story.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I enjoyed it. It was a fun celebration of DC history, but I kinda understand why there wasn't much discussion of it. It didn't exactly make a strong impression beyond some cool art and a fun collection of characters. There's no apparent theme or larger impact on the larger universe. It doesn't seem to have much to say.

Mighty Member

What is future state about and do I need to read it?Also why is it expense

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I enjoyed it. It was a fun celebration of DC history, but I kinda understand why there wasn't much discussion of it. It didn't exactly make a strong impression beyond some cool art and a fun collection of characters. There's no apparent theme or larger impact on the larger universe. It doesn't seem to have much to say.
    Totally get your point, but my mileage runs a little differently: The very fact that there was no so-called larger impact on the DC Universe made it a fun romp for this longtime DC fan (going on fifty years), something I at least needed after the dreaded "event fatigue" of Death Metal and it's umpteen one-shots. This recharged my comic book batteries and 'twas just enough for me.

Incredible Member

I don't know where the thread for this title is but I'm glad to see you start one. I absolutely loved this issue, seeing Jack Knight have a short cameo as well as the android Hourman and the 1940s JSA to (in a separate panel obviously) was just really cool to.

I am enjoying what I have read of FUTURE STATE but I much prefer this (and the art is superb) I appreciate it not being heavily linked to FUTURE STATE too and it just scratches 2 very different itches.

Astonishing Member

It was an enjoyable romp through DC history, but ultimately didn't make much of an impact. I was a bit disappointed at how little focus there was on the Golden Age Batman. Or Superboy for that matter. Or even Sinestro as Green Lantern.

I liked the idea of them literally going through a bunch of different timelines and landing in the actual publication years of various events/eras. For instance, at one point, they go back to the 'Death and Return of Superman' era and the year is 1992! They pick up Dr. Light a year after the events of COIE, and the year is correctly given as 1987. The respect of DC's entire history as it originally happened is clearly part of their plans moving forward and Generations Shattered does signal their intention in that regard.

Extraordinary Member

Glad people like this, I am hoping this and the follow up book get collected in a trade paperback. Hope I don't miss out if it does not.

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    What is future state about and do I need to read it?Also why is it expense
    You do not need to read Future State, at least not as a whole. There are a few stories coming out after that will probably benefit from reading something specific in Future State. I would recommend the Future State thread for opinions and reviews about what is needed, but will say it depends on what you plan to read in March.

As for price, the motivation is debatable but the books are bigger. Just an example, but Justice League is $5.99 and has two 22 page stories. Even Teen Titans at $3.99 is 22 pages. I have not gone through anything else to page count, but this is definitely not a case of bumping up the price just because.

I would've made a thread if I knew there wasn't one, I figured there was one on page 5 somewhere but didn't feel like looking for it.

Thanks OP, I now declare this as the official Generation Shattered Thread
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    Totally get your point, but my mileage runs a little differently: The very fact that there was no so-called larger impact on the DC Universe made it a fun romp for this longtime DC fan (going on fifty years), something I at least needed after the dreaded "event fatigue" of Death Metal and it's umpteen one-shots. This recharged my comic book batteries and 'twas just enough for me.
    Oh, don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed it and will be back for the next issue, but I can’t say it’s going to be something that I will be thinking about next year. Which is fine. Nothing wrong with a good cheeseburger.