Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I expect this to be super over-the-top like all "What if?" stories. He'll probably destroy the Earth somehow...

Or maybe it will have a happy ending. Is that possible?

I am looking forward to this. I really loved his work on Life Story. I need to read more of his stuff.

I think this story will be pretty good even though this plot has been done a few times.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    I understand your point, pal. It's not like the symbiotes are necesarily bad, they simply do what they do to survive; but one way or another, they end up causing damage to their hosts. So, when their hosts reject them, they have no reason to hold grudge against those who reject them. I mean, if a host wants to keep his individuality, it has all the right in the world. The symbiote should accept that the host simply doesn't suit it and should look for another alternative; a host more willing to accept the symbiosis.
    Symbiotes can be completely benign. The problem in this case was that the Venom Symbiote was corrupted from past experiences, but even then, when it was bonded to Peter it wasn't nearly as destructive as it was with other hosts. In fact, it saved Peter's life several times in stories like Symbiote Spider-Man and it showed concern for his well-being and tried to do good, even if it was violent by nature. The problem was that Peter, upon learning it was sentient and trying to bond permanently with him, didn't try to treat it like a real sentient being and instead saw it was a rabid dog.

Astonishing Member

There's another thing worrying me about a world where Peter kept the symbiote. At this age, Jameson keeps pushing Spider-Man to its limits with his swear campaign. Well, something tells me that a violent Spider-Man with Venom's symbiote will not tolerate that and it will make Jameson to shut up... Permanently.

There's another thing worrying me about a world where Peter kept the symbiote. At this age, Jameson keeps pushing Spider-Man to its limits with his swear campaign. Well, something tells me that a violent Spider-Man with Venom's symbiote will not tolerate that and it will make Jameson to shut up... Permanently.
    I think I'm misremembering my old Spiderman official handbook but Jameson had a run in with a thief in a mask in his past and he just project those experiences to Spiderman cause he wears a mask even though there are other heroes who wear mask too. Peter should not bother to save him honestly. Although they are cool now Jameson was a dick to him for all those years and even try to kill him too.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I think I'm misremembering my old Spiderman official handbook but Jameson had a run in with a thief in a mask in his past and he just project those experiences to Spiderman cause he wears a mask even though there are other heroes who wear mask too. Peter should not bother to save him honestly. Although they are cool now Jameson was a dick to him for all those years and even try to kill him too.
    Spider-Man didn't try to kill Jameson then, but just stormed at his office and let Jameson know how dangerous will it be to keep pushing Spider-Man to his limits. But either way, under the influence of Venom, I wouldn't be surprised if Spider-Man makes Jameson's mouth to be shut up once and for all. In Marvel Zombies, one of the first victims of Spider-Man after becoming a zombie was Jameson. Spider-Man said "I'm going to enjoy this very much!".

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Spider-Man didn't try to kill Jameson then, but just stormed at his office and let Jameson know how dangerous will it be to keep pushing Spider-Man to his limits. But either way, under the influence of Venom, I wouldn't be surprised if Spider-Man makes Jameson's mouth to be shut up once and for all. In Marvel Zombies, one of the first victims of Spider-Man after becoming a zombie was Jameson. Spider-Man said "I'm going to enjoy this very much!".
    Hmm, interesting point there. Speaking of, I recall the 90s animated series put its own spin on Jonah's reasoning for hating Spider-Man, explaining that his (first) wife was killed by a masked hitman aiming for him on behalf of a mob boss Jonah was about to expose in his days as a younger reporter. In that same series, while the symbiote did make him more prone to act on his latent anger and aggression, he was somewhat more focused on Eddie Brock, who supplied the photos incriminating Spider-Man while withholding the photos of the true culprit of the crime he tricked Jonah into publicly pinning on Spider-Man. Then again . . . "If you don't call off that reward, I'm gonna . . . !"
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Hmm, interesting point there. Speaking of, I recall the 90s animated series put its own spin on Jonah's reasoning for hating Spider-Man, explaining that his (first) wife was killed by a masked hitman aiming for him on behalf of a mob boss Jonah was about to expose in his days as a younger reporter. In that same series, while the symbiote did make him more prone to act on his latent anger and aggression, he was somewhat more focused on Eddie Brock, who supplied the photos incriminating Spider-Man while withholding the photos of the true culprit of the crime he tricked Jonah into publicly pinning on Spider-Man. Then again . . . "If you don't call off that reward, I'm gonna . . . !"
    Yeah, I remember those episodes. Jameson's hate for masks was quite stupid. I mean, he was writing about a mob boss and he blamed the hitman instead. I mean, didn't he learnt that many time, the real masks are the one that are the faces? I mean, gangsters don't hide behind masks, but behind facades. He should know that.

And that's exactly what I meant, whatever Spider-Man was going to say then, pretty sure this comic could show us the result.

Astonishing Member

Sorry for the double post, but it called my attention the cover and synopsis of the second issue. It appears Mary Jane will get involved in this story, which is curious because back to this era, Spidey was dating Black Cat. Anyway, I can't stop thinking is something "creepy" will happen to MJ; and by that, I mean being bonded to another symbiote. Mania would suit her perfectly, although Scream makes me think about a quite "sinister" idea. I'll reveal it after some answers.

The synopsis for the second issue is actually a bit of a bummer to me. Seems it will just be another "Spider-Man is taken over by Venom and becomes evil" stories.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    The synopsis for the second issue is actually a bit of a bummer to me. Seems it will just be another "Spider-Man is taken over by Venom and becomes evil" stories.
    Nah, that would be too simple. Besides, in other stories, the symbiote drains Peter until practically consume him. For a story that it's going to last four issues, I believe this would be more complicated than that.

By the way, the idea I was thinking about what will happen with MJ, it actually involves something that happened with the symbiote Scream. Somehow, this symbiote "downloaded" the personalities of previous hosts (like Donna Diego and Patricia Robertson) into her newest host, Andi Benton. How about if a symbiote first bonds with Black Cat, it drains her, then it bonds with MJ and "downloads" Felicia's personality in MJ?

Mighty Member

I plan to pick this title up.
    Zdarksy is an extremely talented writer who knows how to write Spider-man well. I missed out on his life story mini, but I don't plan to miss out on this.

I'm hoping he returns to Spider-man for another on-going at some point, I'll be happy to see him on Amazing, but this will have to do in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    Hopefully we don't wind up going down the Superman path and have every adaptation turn Peter Parker evil in another 20 years haha.

Sorry for the double post, but it called my attention the cover and synopsis of the second issue. It appears Mary Jane will get involved in this story, which is curious because back to this era, Spidey was dating Black Cat. Anyway, I can't stop thinking is something "creepy" will happen to MJ; and by that, I mean being bonded to another symbiote. Mania would suit her perfectly, although Scream makes me think about a quite "sinister" idea. I'll reveal it after some answers.
    This was the era when MJ revealed to Peter that she knew he was Spider-Man.

Reading the synopsis and seeing the cover of issue #2 it feels like my fears of a standard "Symbiote = corruption" and no: true growth, characterization, and uniqueness of story is playing out. However I also know that the synopsis and covers can lied to us many times hiding what is really inside the issues. I have to have hope from of the reviews I might read/hear and if I take a chance on the series (financial budget pending) I hope to have my negative assumptions dashed.
    I hope as always that creativity, some well made twists to expectations, new insights, possibilities, and as always well written characters, growth, and overall story will be made. That even if 75% goes the way I expect that the other 25% will not and I'll enjoy and be intrigued by that.