Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default HBO possibly considering a Batman The Animated Series Revival

According to Batman-News HBO are possibly considering a revival of Batman: The Animated Series :-

On the latest episode of Fatman Beyond, co-hosts Kevin Smith (Clerks, Masters of the Universe: Revelation) and Marc Bernardin (Castle Rock) both had news to share that HBO Max is looking into a revival of Batman: The Animated Series.

While Bernardin was the one to initiate the discussion with second-hand information, Smith interjected that he had heard it previously from a proven source.

From the sounds of the information, the project is still in the very earliest days, and there are no indications of any contracts being signed with any cast or crew from the original series as of yet.

https://batman-news.com/2021/01/19/b...evival-report/

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/...K901Ln9LWbUu-w

There's no indication if the revival will add in story elements from the recent "Batman: The Adventure Continues" comics featuring Red Hood, Deathstroke & Azrael being added to the DCAU

As it says this possible project is in the very early stages (if at all) although if the show does return several cast members would have to be recast:
    Efrem Zimbalist Jr. (Alfred)
    Bob Hastings (Commissioner Gordon)
    Roddy McDowall (The Mad Hatter)
    Michael Ansara (Mr Freeze)
    John Vernon (Rupert Thorne)
    Brock Peters (Lucius Fox)
    Lloyd Bochner (Mayor Hill)
    Have all passed away, although that's not to say recast's are not possible (Batgirl, Tim Drake, Killer Croc, Bane, Scarecrow and Penguin were all recast at various points in the DCAU).

Ironically they could conceivably get Clive Revill (the original voice of Alfred) back to voice the character due to the passing of Efrem Zimbalist Jr.

What's everyone's thoughts of a possible revival of BTAS if it happens?

BANNED

So we are gonna get Mr "My Wife" Freeze over and over again?

Dedicate an episode or two to a quick recap of events prior, toss the BabsxBruce thing (it was wildly unpopular than, and it has only gotten worse), rename "Tim" to the character he was supposed to be (Jason, and you all know it), include cameos from members of the Justice League every so often.

Spectacular Member

Andy Serkis for Mad Hatter. He’s already played a Roddy character before.

If The Adventure Continues and subsequent DCAU revivals are any indication...I think we would be better off just letting this universe rest. I just don't think you can quite capture the magic again.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If The Adventure Continues and subsequent DCAU revivals are any indication...I think we would be better off just letting this universe rest. I just don't think you can quite capture the magic again.
    It's sad for me that I have to agree with this.

BTAS should not return unless the standards and effort (and budget) from DC and DCAU revivals improve dramatically.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

If we could get the Black Canary versus Catwoman episode...

If we could get the Nocturna episode...

it might be worth it...maybe.

Yeah this. That time is past. Timm is nowhere near as good as he used to be, and honestly is there even any stories left that they’d want to tell? The DCAU was tied up pretty damn conclusively. Also Conroy and Hamill are both really starting to show their ages voice wise.

Maybe they should consider Nightwing: The Animated Series instead?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Batman is more profitable.

That'd do very well with the 300 or so people that use this forum. lol
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah this. That time is past. Timm is nowhere near as good as he used to be, and honestly is there even any stories left that they’d want to tell? The DCAU was tied up pretty damn conclusively. Also Conroy and Hamill are both really starting to show their ages voice wise.
    Batman: The Adventure Continues also seemed to indicate Dini and Burnett couldn't quite make it work together either, although part of that comic was just to sell new toys so it might not have been so conducive to working within the DCAU.
    I think there was a pitched Nightwing cartoon at some point.

Don't mess with a good thing. Just let the show be. I don't want the show to come back and our memories of it to be tainted like Kyle Higgins did with Batman Beyond 2.0. Even 'The Adventure Continues' is in that nebulous 'not bad but not good' grey area.

If you want to do a new Batman show then maybe do something new but with stylistic queue's from the old shows. Like Timm's 'Strange Days' short. Or maybe an Outsiders shows or a TNBA style Bat Family show but which also incorproates Oracle, Huntress, Cass Cain, Duke, Tim Fox and all the extended Bat Family members.

Even so I think Batman has been done to death now. Give us a new Superman show or that long over due solo Wonder Woman show, maybe even a new Teen Titans series or a Young Justice series focused on Tim Drake's generation, how about a Doom Patrol show or a JSA show or a Birds of Prey show, what about characters like Hawkman & Hawkwoman, Zatanna, Supergirl, Green Arrow, Vixen, Mr. Terrfic, Bumblebee or something focusing on the nearly 5000 characters that DC has the rights to?

Batman: The Adventure Continues also seemed to indicate Dini and Burnett couldn't quite make it work together either, although part of that comic was just to sell new toys so it might not have been so conducive to working within the DCAU.

I think there was a pitched Nightwing cartoon at some point.
    Yeah, not even Ty Templeton seemed like he was at the top of his game.

There was. It turned into Young Justice.

If they do it, I hope they keep the dark tone and I sure hope they keep the designs from BTAS and not TNBA.

But yay, this could be exciting!
    A picture would last longer darling...