Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I think, if that's true, they will make something like reboot, not direct sequel, since original DCAU had its conclusion.

It doesn't have to be some other character, but I'd rather they made something new.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I think, if that's true, they will make something like reboot, not direct sequel, since original DCAU had its conclusion.
    Agreed.

At this point, I'm not sure what a BTAS 'revival' as such would be. BTAS itself was a pretty episodic show, with a series of standalone adventures (with the gap between BTAS and TNBA furthering the narrative). And if we look at the wider ambit of DCAU continuity, the future of the Batman mythos has already been more or less set in stone.

Now, if by BTAS revival, they mean something in the style of BTAS, or something that sticks to the spirit of what made that show great, then I'm all for it.

I'd love to see that Art Deco look again, and that noir-ish 40's vibe anachronistically combined with contemporary tech. I'd love to see a Batman who's a cross between nobel warrior, master detective, and hardened vigilante. A Batman who weaponizes the shadows and puts the fear of God into criminals but who, despite his flaws, is fundamentally a good person.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Nah, just do something new with a new creative team (or teams) and new style.

Maybe new characters, too.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Nah, just do something new with a new creative team (or teams) and new style.

Maybe new characters, too.
    Or revive something that ended too soon (Cough)Beware the Batman/Justice League Action(Cough).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Or revive something that ended too soon (Cough)Beware the Batman/Justice League Action(Cough).
    Justice League Action... That one hurt hard, sigh.

As much as this excites me, it also falls into the old traps that DC keeps falling into:

-Over-reliance on Batman
    -Continuations of stuff long gone

A new animation project should be dedicated to other venues. Uplift the other DC properties or get the current ones back to a good set.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

I'm not gonna rule it out right off the bat (tee hee) but I 'm gonna take a "wait and see" attitude to this. Even if it's not as good as TAS at it's peak, It should be perfectly serviceable Superhero show at least.

Personally, I'd rather see a revival of Beware the Batman, that show was underrated.

I'd rather see a Beyond revival or a completely new Batman centric show but I can get behind this if done right and give it the budget and care it would deserve.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

God no. The modern DC animated batting average speaks for itself, Timm unchained would by NO means necessarily be a good thing (especially sans Dini, which would be very possible since he just did his own 'what if BTAS continued' mini), Conroy is enjoying a well-earned functional retirement via totally phoning it in these days, and the DCAU already reached a dignified conclusion. It would have to be a nigh-impossible perfect storm to justify its own existence; even if most of it was good, unless it was good in a *very specific way and context* there'd be no meaningful reason for it to not just be a new Batman cartoon.

If you're reviving anything at all from that setting make it Beyond, that's at least unique to that lineup without a modern equivalent and could more easily be pushed forward into doing something truly new in some ways.
    Buh-bye

Is there some kind of clause stating that WB can't fund any adaptation that's not Batman centric?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Batman: The Adventure Continues also seemed to indicate Dini and Burnett couldn't quite make it work together either, although part of that comic was just to sell new toys so it might not have been so conducive to working within the DCAU.

I think there was a pitched Nightwing cartoon at some point.
    There was it turned into Young Justice

Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Revivals are cool and all but I want something new. I want to see someone else's vision and artstyle. BTAS had its run already and it was a good one.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Don't mess with a good thing. Just let the show be. I don't want the show to come back and our memories of it to be tainted like Kyle Higgins did with Batman Beyond 2.0. Even 'The Adventure Continues' is in that nebulous 'not bad but not good' grey area.

If you want to do a new Batman show then maybe do something new but with stylistic queue's from the old shows. Like Timm's 'Strange Days' short. Or maybe an Outsiders shows or a TNBA style Bat Family show but which also incorproates Oracle, Huntress, Cass Cain, Duke, Tim Fox and all the extended Bat Family members.

Even so I think Batman has been done to death now. Give us a new Superman show or that long over due solo Wonder Woman show, maybe even a new Teen Titans series or a Young Justice series focused on Tim Drake's generation, how about a Doom Patrol show or a JSA show or a Birds of Prey show, what about characters like Hawkman & Hawkwoman, Zatanna, Supergirl, Green Arrow, Vixen, Mr. Terrfic, Bumblebee or something focusing on the nearly 5000 characters that DC has the rights to?
    Well, they can't do a comic accurate Young Justice series as long as the 2010s series is still running! Can't even call it Teen Titans, due to Teen Titans Go (which is technically a spin-off from the 2003 cartoon), or just Titans, because of the live action series.

You know, you mention JSA... and I'm honestly surprised that more of them haven't shown up in the YJ cartoon. We've only seen Jay Garrick, who serves as Bart's guardian like in the comics.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Is there some kind of clause stating that WB can't fund any adaptation that's not Batman centric?
    Well, they're doing an animated Aquaman mini-series.