Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Default My confusion with some fans view of Cheetah's power level.

I have heard some say Cheetah's power was fine in WW84, or that her power is fine most of the time in comics. So i can't help but ask. If they think Cheetah can go down by just a few hits from WW, or by mere electrocution and be considered a worthy WW's foe. Then what that does tell us about Diana's own power?

I mean. The Diana i know has performed great feats of speed, striking force, durability, healing factor etc. If Diana can punch nukes, move with God like speed, fight it out with Monsters, Gods, kryptonians and other heavy hitters. Then Cheetah would need to have a power level high enough to actually give Diana a fight, a fight that doesn't end after getting hit 3 times by Diana. This is something i feel some fans are not seeing when defending Cheetah's portrayal in many comics and in WW84. More often than not. Cheetah is treated as just a super human woman with fur. I can't look at her many fights in comics and in her first silver screen appearance, and think that is an accurate portrayal of a powerhouse that can give WW a fight. Unless you think Diana shouldn't be strong enough to handle physical battles against heavy hitters. Otherwise, i can't say that Cheetah's power is well portrayed in WW84 or in most comics. If she is supposed to be even remotely close to poweful enough to give Diana a fight. Then we shouldn't be seeing a Cheetah that can barely take a few hits from Wondie, or that can be KO by electricity. So how do you really view Cheetah in terms of power? Is she a powerhouse that can fight another powerhouse like WW. Or is she just a glorified super human cat lady? Based on what her origin says, and what statements say about her being powered up by a God. I do expect her to be a powerhouse. But if people think her power was well respresented in WW84 to fight a character in WW's supposed caliber, then we have a problem in my opinion. If WW still is a powerhouse that can go toe to toe with other heavy hitters. Then Cheetah's power and durability should be portrayed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    I have heard some say Cheetah's power was fine in WW84, or that her power is fine most of the time in comics. So i can't help but ask. If they think Cheetah can go down by just a few hits from WW, or by mere electrocution and be considered a worthy WW's foe. Then what that does tell us about Diana's own power?

I mean. The Diana i know has performed great feats of speed, striking force, durability, healing factor etc. If Diana can punch nukes, move with God like speed, fight it out with Monsters, Gods, kryptonians and other heavy hitters. Then Cheetah would need to have a power level high enough to actually give Diana a fight, a fight that doesn't end after getting hit 3 times by Diana. This is something i feel some fans are not seeing when defending Cheetah's portrayal in many comics and in WW84. More often than not. Cheetah is treated as just a super human woman with fur. I can't look at her many fights in comics and in her first silver screen appearance, and think that is an accurate portrayal of a powerhouse that can give WW a fight. Unless you think Diana shouldn't be strong enough to handle physical battles against heavy hitters. Otherwise, i can't say that Cheetah's power is well portrayed in WW84 or in most comics. If she is supposed to be even remotely close to poweful enough to give Diana a fight. Then we shouldn't be seeing a Cheetah that can barely take a few hits from Wondie, or that can be KO by electricity. So how do you really view Cheetah in terms of power? Is she a powerhouse that can fight another powerhouse like WW. Or is she just a glorified super human cat lady? Based on what her origin says, and what statements say about her being powered up by a God. I do expect her to be a powerhouse. But if people think her power was well respresented in WW84 to fight a character in WW's supposed caliber, then we have a problem in my opinion. If WW still is a powerhouse that can go toe to toe with other heavy hitters. Then Cheetah's power and durability should be portrayed accordingly.

I can see Cheetah's portrayal in WW84 is really bothering you, and that's fine, you're entitled to your own opinion and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I'm about to have a little story time with my experience in comics and media, I've been reading comics for the better part of 12 years now and I've watched so many of my favorite characters go through the wringer when it comes to power scaling. These characters are old, and I mean old old. The writers who write them all have their own opinions on these characters and sadly that comes with ups and downs. Sometimes you get amazing reeditions of characters shown exactly how you want them to be shown, and sometimes you don't... that's just the truth of it, you can see people frustrated with that all over forums like these. And movie adaptations are another can of worms, but you just gotta roll with the punches.

I was just happy Wonder Woman ever got a movie, and I then I was happy that she got a sequel that had Cheetah in it. If you had told me 5 years ago Cheetah would be in a live action Wonder Woman blockbuster I wouldn't have believed it because Cheetah is such a weird character I would never have thought anyone would be brave enough to even try.

You look at the fight Wonder Woman vs Cheetah fight and see Wonder Woman barley trying, Cheetah not doing anything and then it's over.

I look at the fight and I see Cheetah forcing Wonder Woman to play defense because she's going at her so hard and unpredictably.

You're way of looking at it isn't wrong, and my way of looking at it isn't wrong. I'm just glad the fight even exists and it was a fight I wanted to see. Plus, this whole movie was just a setup for Cheetah to appear in the next movie like Black Manta was in Aquaman. She's all but confirmed to appear again, which means a rematch.

You're saying you're upset because you feel that by me defending how Cheetah's power level was portrayed in WW84, I'm undermining how powerful I want Wonder Woman and Cheetah to be portrayed in live action. That couldn't be further from the truth, I want to see a live action Cheetah who can rip apart Kryptioians and the like. But I'm not looking at WW84 as the end for Cheetah, but the beginning. We don't know if Cheetah ever reached her full power in WW84, Diana didn't reach her full power in the first movie. Maybe she'll come back stronger, that's was squeals are for.

But whenever I read a story that has a character I like get mishandled, I just go back to the stories with that character that I like, because that can't be taken away from you.

Imo, Wonder Woman fan's are way too obsessed with Power Levels.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    That's kinda true with Comic book fans in general...

Doesn't help that the comic book community likes pitting Wonder Woman up against everyone.

Plus I mean, Wonder Woman can slug it out with Superman, Doomsday, Darkside and the like, but is susceptible the bullets...
    Just like Superman can push moons but gets taken out by a man in a bat costume holding a glowing green rock...
    Maybe Cheetah can take a nuke to the face but can't withstand electricity...
    it's just however you want to look at it really.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I guess i am. Since i want WW to be portrayed like the powerhouse DC says she is. Same for her villains.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I can see Cheetah's portrayal in WW84 is really bothering you, and that's fine, you're entitled to your own opinion and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I'm about to have a little story time with my experience in comics and media, I've been reading comics for the better part of 12 years now and I've watched so many of my favorite characters go through the wringer when it comes to power scaling. These characters are old, and I mean old old. The writers who write them all have their own opinions on these characters and sadly that comes with ups and downs. Sometimes you get amazing reeditions of characters shown exactly how you want them to be shown, and sometimes you don't... that's just the truth of it, you can see people frustrated with that all over forums like these. And movie adaptations are another can of worms, but you just gotta roll with the punches.

I was just happy Wonder Woman ever got a movie, and I then I was happy that she got a sequel that had Cheetah in it. If you had told me 5 years ago Cheetah would be in a live action Wonder Woman blockbuster I wouldn't have believed it because Cheetah is such a weird character I would never have thought anyone would be brave enough to even try.

You look at the fight Wonder Woman vs Cheetah fight and see Wonder Woman barley trying, Cheetah not doing anything and then it's over.

I look at the fight and I see Cheetah forcing Wonder Woman to play defense because she's going at her so hard and unpredictably.

You're way of looking at it isn't wrong, and my way of looking at it isn't wrong. I'm just glad the fight even exists and it was a fight I wanted to see. Plus, this whole movie was just a setup for Cheetah to appear in the next movie like Black Manta was in Aquaman. She's all but confirmed to appear again, which means a rematch.

You're saying you're upset because you feel that by me defending how Cheetah's power level was portrayed in WW84, I'm undermining how powerful I want Wonder Woman and Cheetah to be portrayed in live action. That couldn't be further from the truth, I want to see a live action Cheetah who can rip apart Kryptioians and the like. But I'm not looking at WW84 as the end for Cheetah, but the beginning. We don't know if Cheetah ever reached her full power in WW84, Diana didn't reach her full power in the first movie. Maybe she'll come back stronger, that's was squeals are for.

But whenever I read a story that has a character I like get mishandled, I just go back to the stories with that character that I like, because that can't be taken away from you.
    The problrm is that the things that make you happy, feel like the bare minimum that they can do with the wonder verse. I'm glad you are happy, but to me it feels like having to feel satisfied with bread crumbs. I look at the way other characters are being handled, and i feel like WW keeps getting the short end of the stick.

WW was indeed holding back against Cheetah. It wasn't because Cheetah was too much for her at all. WW84 had Diana playing defensive and doing the most to try not to hurt anybody. And this is something that most fans have noticed about the movie. Diana was on defensive mode the whole fight with Cheetah. The moment she got a hold of Cheetah, Barbra was unable to break free from Diana's grab and then goes down to electrocution. I expect much better. For the so called number one female hero that is powered up by Gods, and her so called archy villan. I expect much better.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    The problrm is that the things that make you happy, feel like the bare minimum that they can do with the wonder verse. I'm glad you are happy, but to me it feels like having to feel satisfied with bread crumbs. I look at the way other characters are being handled, and i feel like WW keeps getting the short end of the stick.

WW was indeed holding back against Cheetah. It wasn't because Cheetah was too much for her at all. WW84 had Diana playing defensive and doing the most to try not to hurt anybody. And this is something that most fans have noticed about the movie. Diana was on defensive mode the whole fight with Cheetah. The moment she got a hold of Cheetah, Barbra was unable to break free from Diana's grab and then goes down to electrocution. I expect much better. For the so called number one female hero that is powered up by Gods, and her so called archy villan. I expect much better.
    Wonder Woman usually suffocates Cheetah into unconsciousness as a way to defeat her, so Cheetah not being able to break free of WW grip isn't anything new.

And I do agree that it was clear WW was playing defense as well because she didn't want to hurt Barbara, but you can tell by the look on her face that she wasn't exactly having a easy time. The fact Cheetah is even able to hit Wonder Woman (who casually swings on lighting) shows how fast she is, since Diana definingly wouldn't let herself get hit if she could avoid it.

Also if you think Wonder Woman is getting the short end of the stick, a lot of fans didn't like Batman killing in BvS, or how easily Batman took out Superman, or that Superman indirectly destroyed Metropolis and snapping Zod's neck. Those where big OOFS for a lot of people.

But I'm sorry you where disappointed, I know how much that sucks (glances at recent X-men movies). But I appreciate you being open about it. And once again I see that Wonder Woman 3 on the horizon and it gives me hope.

An unpopular opinion perhaps but I don't think Cheetah needs to be as strong as Diana to be a challenging foe. I want her to be smart and cunning first and foremost. And fast of course, that's what cheetahs are famous for after all. She should be the fastest non-Flash character in DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    An unpopular opinion perhaps but I don't think Cheetah needs to be as strong as Diana to be a challenging foe. I want her to be smart and cunning first and foremost. And fast of course, that's what cheetahs are famous for after all. She should be the fastest non-Flash character in DCU.
    I'm not saying she should be as strong. But her durabilty also needs to be great to take hits from somebod like WW. Yet many times Cheetah is treated as almost glass canon.

Wonder Woman usually suffocates Cheetah into unconsciousness as a way to defeat her, so Cheetah not being able to break free of WW grip isn't anything new.

And I do agree that it was clear WW was playing defense as well because she didn't want to hurt Barbara, but you can tell by the look on her face that she wasn't exactly having a easy time. The fact Cheetah is even able to hit Wonder Woman (who casually swings on lighting) shows how fast she is, since Diana definingly wouldn't let herself get hit if she could avoid it.

Also if you think Wonder Woman is getting the short end of the stick, a lot of fans didn't like Batman killing in BvS, or how easily Batman took out Superman, or that Superman indirectly destroyed Metropolis and snapping Zod's neck. Those where big OOFS for a lot of people.

But I'm sorry you where disappointed, I know how much that sucks (glances at recent X-men movies). But I appreciate you being open about it. And once again I see that Wonder Woman 3 on the horizon and it gives me hope.
    I know. But Cheetah should be stronger than what we saw. Maybe not as strong as WW. But still able to hit hard enough to be considered a physical challenge. And she should be durable enough to handle more than 3 hits from a going all out WW. These are things that i think need to happen in order for Cheetah's power to be accurate with the type of hero she is supposed to be capable of fighting.

WW gets the short end of the stick way more often than batman or superman. So i'm sorry but i can't feel bad for their fans. They have had it way easier than WW fans.

I like when Diana has to use her skills in hand-to-hand combat to defeat Cheetah.
    Like in Perez's run (issue #31) when Diana got pissed and when berserk on Cheetah and Cheetah instantly gets the upper-hand because Diana got carless. And then Diana herself admitted she can't use brute strength to beat Cheetah but needs to use her skills too. This was back when Barbara's transformation into Cheetah left her as mostly a mindless animal.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Yeah, being crafty and cunning is more interesting to me than “who can punch harder” (sorry Bane, Doomsday, and MAYBE Giganta). If anything Cheetah should have been the one aware of her surroundings and making use of it to disorient Wonder Woman in a fight...

That's kinda true with Comic book fans in general...

Doesn't help that the comic book community likes pitting Wonder Woman up against everyone.
    Don't people get real mad about character rankings on Comic Vine? My general philosophy is that villains should always be a challenge to defeat whomever they are and that heroes should inevitably defeat them one way or the other.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Yeah, being crafty and cunning is more interesting to me than “who can punch harder” (sorry Bane, Doomsday, and MAYBE Giganta). If anything Cheetah should have been the one aware of her surroundings and making use of it to disorient Wonder Woman in a fight...
    What I like about Cheetah is she can be both if she's written properly.