Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Maybe it's just me but I preferred Mary Bromfield to Mary Marvel in Shazam. Grace Fulton did an incredible performance in that movie. Which is so bizarre since I prefer the opposite in any other media with Mary Marvel because Mary Marvel is awesome. Maybe in the sequel they'll let her do more.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I think it was in the late 70's or early 80's that the boots were swapped out in favor of ballet flats. Didn't like 'em!

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post

Maybe it's just me but I preferred Mary Bromfield to Mary Marvel in Shazam. Grace Fulton did an incredible performance in that movie. Which is so bizarre since I prefer the opposite in any other media with Mary Marvel because Mary Marvel is awesome. Maybe in the sequel they'll let her do more.
    Grace Fulton was excellent. The script failed Mary Marvel. The problem is that Mary Marvel just didn't have any memorable moments. She was just kind of there, but everyone else at least got to do fun stuff. All of Mary's best moments were as Bromfield.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I think it was in the late 70's or early 80's that the boots were swapped out in favor of ballet flats. Didn't like 'em!

Yeah, this ain't it. Boots all the way, dig?

Quote Originally Posted by extra skater View Post
    Have you read this current Shazam vol. 3?

I only read a couple of issues and as I remember they didn't use any hero name so far... I think until number 4. So they're probably calling her just Mary Bromfield? As the adventure is set in another world, the kids are referring to them by their given names which sucks to me.
    Yeah, none of the six foster siblings have any individual codename. It's probably just first name then Shazam. i.e. Mary Shazam. And I agree that it sucks. Billy being at Titans Academy makes me think that the chickens have come home to roost, and their secret identities might be kaput. After all, the reason Billy hasn't been a Titan before (unlike Freddy) is because everyone thought he was an adult, not a teenager.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The actress for younger Mary was great. I wish she had been in the movie more and interacted with Billy more, and wasn't so much older than the other kids, but performance-wise she was great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Grace Fulton was excellent. The script failed Mary Marvel. The problem is that Mary Marvel just didn't have any memorable moments. She was just kind of there, but everyone else at least got to do fun stuff. All of Mary's best moments were as Bromfield.
    I think the only thing I remember her doing in the movie was grappling with tentacles, of all things.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

A MARY MARVEL spin off movie would be cool. I liked both Mary and magic superhero Mary.

Anything that expands the SHAZAM! corner is a good thing.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-22-2021 at 02:46 PM.

Astonishing Member

I noticed that, too. In the script they had a scene where Mary Marvel dances and sings to defeat the Sins which didn't end up being made. The actress said her audition involved those things, as well, which is so confusing. The director gets so much right with the movie but it's a swing and a miss with Mary Marvel. Give her to Patty Jenkins for a spin-off. Grave Fulton was an MVP for Shazam.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I loved Oksner's Mary Marvel stories. I think he only drew two, but they were amazing.

The slippers, though, were introduced before DC acquired the character. In Shazam reprints, she was shown having this same outfit before the Marvel Family books were cancelled. The only change made in the 70s was the hair style.

I actually preferred the slippers -- maybe because Supergirl has the same footwear in the 70s before gong back to boots.
    Last edited by kcekada; 01-23-2021 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    A MARY MARVEL spin off movie would be cool. I liked both Mary and magic superhero Mary.

Anything that expands the SHAZAM! corner is a good thing.
    Co-signed in full. DC could use a little more Fawcett.

I noticed that, too. In the script they had a scene where Mary Marvel dances and sings to defeat the Sins which didn't end up being made. The actress said her audition involved those things, as well, which is so confusing. The director gets so much right with the movie but it's a swing and a miss with Mary Marvel. Give her to Patty Jenkins for a spin-off. Grave Fulton was an MVP for Shazam.
    That was a huge missed opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That was a huge missed opportunity.
    That could have been so much damn fun. Damn. Maybe she didn't want to do it? Did the studio think it was too goofy, like how we didn't get Tawny?

Astonishing Member

That could have been so much damn fun. Damn. Maybe she didn't want to do it? Did the studio think it was too goofy, like how we didn't get Tawny?
    Both Mary's were on the chopping block for their scenes in the movie if something had to be cut. She had another deleted scene where Mary stops Billy from leaving the house at night and tells him her past. She's more interesting than Billy is as a character. Just have her leave for college and be a solo super-hero DCEU!

It was based on the New 52 run that ran as Justice League backups, right? Tawny wasn't in that, he only debuted in the post-Rebirth run. So maybe they're just saving him for the sequel.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Cover to Mary Marvel Paper Dolls.

MaryMarvelPaperDolls.jpg

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Cover to Mary Marvel Paper Dolls.

MaryMarvelPaperDolls.jpg
    Damn, that's sure cute!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!