Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default GINA RODRIGUEZ IS CARMEN SANDIEGO on Netflix

In cartoon - https://ew.com/tv/2017/04/18/gina-ro...etflix-reboot/

and later live action - https://ew.com/movies/2018/03/26/gin...diego-netflix/

Gina Rodriguez is beyond ready, all she needs now is;
    The red fedora

See an exclusive first look at Netflix's 'Carmen Sandiego' animated series - https://ew.com/tv/carmen-sandiego-first-look-netflix/

Netflix has officially announced that its upcoming Carmen Sandiego reboot will premiere Jan. 18. Gina Rodriguez will voice the woman underneath the hat for 20 episodes (each 22 minutes long), before also starring in a live-action Carmen Sandiego movie for the streaming service. For now, EW has an exclusive first look at the animated series.
    "20 episodes (each 22 minutes long"

Very stylized visual look for the character, looks charming yet with a pulpy edge. (probably just the hat and trench coat LOL).
    I hope she has all her diesel-punk style vehicles and gadgets.

Also really looking forward to the live action take too.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-30-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Interesting. So, will she be the world-class thief in this, or something of an anti-hero?

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I very much dig what we've seen of the show's aesthetic. I was never really into the games or shows as a child, it was present but I probably missed out on being really into it by a year or two. But this I'm probably going to check out, most of Netflix's animated originals have been fairly good.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Fantastic Member

I can't help but get the feeling that she's about to start selling me insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by trooper_thorn View Post
    I can't help but get the feeling that she's about to start selling me insurance.
    She is cute. But I am going to stay with Alana as my insurance agent.

The animation reminds me of Tangled: The Series.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I very much dig what we've seen of the show's aesthetic. I was never really into the games or shows as a child, it was present but I probably missed out on being really into it by a year or two. But this I'm probably going to check out, most of Netflix's animated originals have been fairly good.
    Agreed on that. Binged the Arcadia series and the Dragon Prince series.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Interesting. So, will she be the world-class thief in this, or something of an anti-hero?
    I'm not all that familiar with the franchise, other than I've always liked her pulpy look, and theme with several diesel/deco-punk looking vehicles and gadgets. I hope Carmen still has those.
    And that she was at some point voiced by the awesome Rita Moreno. Which I guess all comes from the DIC cartoon series?
    There is a bit of an origin in the vid I posted above.
    Although there seems to be several incarnation of the character, in games etc.

Seems there are still two kids involved (siblings?) which might be reinventions from the DIC cartoon Zack and Ivy? Although I believe she used to compete with them, but was also protective of them.
    (warning non PC comment, sjw please don't atack!) but the girl Ivy really seems to have gotten screwed in the redesign, went from this awesome looking fit kick-ass adventurer with a great explorer outfit and theme, now she's one of the safely asexual amorphous blobs which are the trend.
    Maybe it's just a new character, which is fine.
    They all look charming.

The images suggest she is working with them?

Not sure if she is an anti-hero?

Maybe they borrowed some from the National Treasure franchise, which is also pretty silly in it's premise but fun, where she has to steal things, in fact in order to protect them, from getting into the hands of the real bad guys.
    But the authorities are still after her.

Just a guess, like I said, I'm not that familiar with the character.
    Curious to see how they play this?
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-31-2018 at 03:29 PM.

so she is the protagonist this time around? That is going to take some getting use too
    The J-man

The old design of that girl doesn't even look fit, just thin with wide hips and long legs. Like a barbie doll.

The new design is thicker but I don't see how she looks like a blob. Just shorter with a bit more curves. I liked her old outfit though. The cropped jacket look is always awesome, imo.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

I really wish this was a live action movie trilogy. Think alias with her collecting and assembling artifacts from some made up inventor spread across Europe and America in the first two movies that end up as a time machine making the third one where in time is Carmen San Diego
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    I really wish this was a live action movie trilogy. Think alias with her collecting and assembling artifacts from some made up inventor spread across Europe and America in the first two movies that end up as a time machine making the third one where in time is Carmen San Diego
    Great pitch^!
    They are working on a live action version too, also played by Gina Rodriguez.

Way back, this property as a live action movie was once tied to Jennifer Lopez - https://deadline.com/2011/11/walden-...ndiego-190691/
    To star and produce.
    I guess the mantle has passed to Rodriguez, which is pretty great.

That's three gens of strong latinas once tied to the character.

Rita Moreno
    Jennifer Lopez
    Gina Rodriguez

Hopefully they do right by the character and concept.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-31-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Can't say I feel one way or the other about the actress, I had to google her name to find out she's the chick from Jane the Virgin which I don't watch, but apparently she's won acting awards so that's promising. No clue what her voice sounds like or how she'll fare against the image of Carmen Sandiego I have in my head, but willing to give it a shot. Especially since I was super young when Carmen Sandiego was a thing. Memories are a bit fuzzy.

Not crazy she seems to be the protagonist here, isn't she supposed to be the villain (super theif!)?

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Considering how rarely these properties wind up being good when done in live action, I'm more than happy it'll be animated (mostly, there's a live action thing later? But cartoon has me more excited).