9 8.91%
  • Ra's al Ghul

1 0.99%
  • Jason Todd

5 4.95%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Exactly. Like David Mazzuchelli said, you can't treat heroes too realistically or they fall apart and become kind of pathetic.

So... why would you insist on anything more than pseudo realism? Or, allow one character to be pseudo realistic while another is forced to be described as supernatural, and denied access to the pseudo realism club? Sounds pretty silly when I say it like that.

Stretching the boundaries of realism is just a part of heroic fantasy, and that's... good! All part of the fun!
    Yes, but sometimes there are examples that stretch the bounds of credulity even for a fictional hero. Karate Kid stretches it by a country mile!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Cass and Shiva certainly are. Canaray, though, is slightly bellow Bruce. She does have the potential to to surpass him, but is just to emotionally healthy to dedicate herself to it. I'd say she is on par with Dick Grayson/Roy Harper.
    On part with Dick and Roy? That seems like a stretch. Dinah literally dedicated time out of her life to be trained by the best and that included Lady Shiva. She spars with Wonder Woman. She should be able to wipe the floor with Dick and Roy within mere seconds

Last edited by Primal Slayer; 01-25-2021 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yes, but sometimes there are examples that stretch the bounds of credulity even for a fictional hero. Karate Kid stretches it by a country mile!
    Batman already stretches credulity by a kilometer and a half; I don't think the additional point zero six eight of a mile that would take him to exactly one mile is worth fretting over too much, haha!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Batman already stretches credulity by a kilometer and a half; I don't think the additional point zero six eight of a mile that would take him to exactly one mile is worth fretting over too much, haha!
    When Batman starts karate chopping earthquake-like cracks on the ground, then I will concede he goes way beyond the typical silliness attributed to fictional heroes.

The difference between Batman and Karate Kid is that Batman has technology and other resources to ease the plausibility of anything he accomplishes his utility belt can become the ultimate deus ex machina, his shadow cabinet of miscellaneous devices, etc
    Batman will never do something insane like punch a ocean in half its too outlandish
    Karate Kid is simply a man who learned martial arts in the future and because of that he can basically do anything and believe me the stuff he does in LOSH is not comparable to a regular human but more like superboy or superman

One character should logically extend to every human in the DCU but doesn't because it would break the internal logic present day DC
    In the LOSH time its fine because nothing matters but modern day DC that's a pretty big break in consistency

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    On part with Dick and Roy? That seems like a stretch. Dinah literally dedicated time out of her life to be trained by the best and that included Lady Shiva. She spars with Wonder Woman. She should be able to wipe the floor with Dick and Roy within mere seconds

In the same issue you’re posting pages from, Dinah also apps for training from ... Nightwing. I’m not selling Dinah short, you’re selling Dick and Roy short, though.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    The difference between Batman and Karate Kid is that Batman has technology and other resources to ease the plausibility of anything he accomplishes his utility belt can become the ultimate deus ex machina, his shadow cabinet of miscellaneous devices, etc
    Batman will never do something insane like punch a ocean in half its too outlandish
    Karate Kid is simply a man who learned martial arts in the future and because of that he can basically do anything and believe me the stuff he does in LOSH is not comparable to a regular human but more like superboy or superman

One character should logically extend to every human in the DCU but doesn't because it would break the internal logic present day DC
    In the LOSH time its fine because nothing matters but modern day DC that's a pretty big break in consistency
    Basically, Batman is closer to the improbable zone, while Val is in "no way man!" territory.

In the same issue you’re posting pages from, Dinah also apps for training from ... Nightwing. I’m not selling Dinah short, you’re selling Dick and Roy short, though.
    If they are as good as Dinah then they should be as good as Batman and Wonder Woman.

If they are as good as Dinah then they should be as good as Batman and Wonder Woman.

Did you read that comic or are just looking for scans? Honest question, because the attitude kind of makes discussions boring.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Did you read that comic or are just looking for scans? Honest question, because the attitude kind of makes discussions boring.
    I've read it forever ago and my thoughts still stand. Simone took Dinah on a journey to make her one of the top fighters in DC.

Why is Black Canary getting so few votes? She almost definitely is a better fighter than Bruce

you aren't going to out popular Batman. I prefer Bruce written as a great detective who is well versed in many disciplines using everything at his disposal to get things done.

But then you have other characters who have been patently established as being legendary masters it is just embedded into their characters. Talking about Karate Kid who is just doing looney tons Martial Arts. Then you've got the martial arts trinity of Richard Dragon, Bronze Tiger and Lady Shiva. DC just made a movie about them and inserted Batman so it would sell. The movie even goes on to demonstrate they are more skilled Martial Artists, but Batman still gonna Batman so he's never going down easy.

I don't even know why Jason Todd is on this list. He gets smoked by every one here in straight hand to hand, but he evens the playing field because he's the only one smart enough to bring a gun to the fight.

I don't know if Cassandra Cain or Connor Hawke will ever get the love outside of battle boards. There'd have to be a movie or hit cartoon that portrayed them as superior to Batman for them to get mainstream recognition.
    The J-man

I've read it forever ago and my thoughts still stand. Simone took Dinah on a journey to make her one of the top fighters in DC.
    Yes, she did. Nothing I said contradicts that, though. So are Dick and Roy.

Yes, she did. Nothing I said contradicts that, though. So are Dick and Roy.
    Dick I agree but Roy? He's more known for his archery skills and I say that as someone who likes him (sort of).

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Dick I agree but Roy? He's more known for his archery skills and I say that as someone who likes him (sort of).
    I am basing this post on Pre Flashpoint Roy, but yes. He and Dick were shown to be equals quite a few times, he held his own against Connor Hawke once, and was “trained “ by both Dick and Canary, not to mention Chesire. And he also has that Checkmate crash course going for him. His skills are pretty respectable, just not a focus on most stories he’s been in.